What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine and Sam's Maxes out. Fluids changed, tires checked, ready to go.
Screeeeeeeeetch. Wait my battery that has been on the tender is not holding a charge. So now I need to pick up a new battery tomorrow.

Now get this. Sam's Vmax has a battery he picked up from Sears a couple of years ago that he loves and said had no issues with.

His bike has been in an unheated, insulated shed. Since October, it has endured the wonderful -60 temps that Alaska has to offer. For shits and giggles I turned the key. The vboost cycled and fuel pump clicked away.
I thought to myself, "damn, that sounded strong." I set the choke, and hit the starter button. It cranked then fired right up like it was on a charger.

The thing ran just like it did when I gave it a tune up and sync before it was parked. :punk:

So for me a sunday ride is out of the picture. Between classes I'll pick up a new battery from Sears and then have the bike ready to go for a Tuesday ride after classes.

Just got "Morley's Chrome Scoops" put on and I must say, they are a nice piece of work..........Thanks Sean.

Rode Mable for the first time since getting her back:biglaugh:.seams to hook better( although I didnt really launch her) pulls pretty good,dont know if vboost is working quite right , but its been years since I had one with vboost, Ill give it some more time. At least I have her back! since its easter, can you find the mods?( like an easter egg hunt)

looks good rick, is the pipe new also? dont remember that being on there.

must sound tough.

Are you sure our bikes weren't right next to each other on the assembly line? lol...seems like your bike has all the same quirks mine does.

Last time I was home I swapped out the regular "74x" leds in the speedo for the 74-HP3 ones. The regular ones were a bit dim and the middle of the gauge was tough to see at night. Definitely could have been a bit brighter. The HP3s are brighter and provide much more even lighting...it's not bright at the top and bottom anymore, it's bright all over.

I sometimes think about putting heated grips on the bike, but for the couple "early season" rides I go on, I just wear my snowmobile gloves and keep the rides fairly brief. 98% of the time on the bike I would have no use for them.

ya man thats what i thought about the heated grips also but got caught a couple times in the rain, sure makes that a nice feeling also. but ya if your not driving in the cold season not missing much.

as for AK ya well im not far off in the yukon here. where about in Ak are ya blurr?

Put the charger on my bike, after a little bit it fired up. went for a short ride to buy a new battery tender. turns out my old one wasn't working anymore.

two days ago I was out riding and when I pulled into my drive noticed my temp was climbing so I looked down at the fan and sure enough it wasn't on clear into the red so today I found a switch I had laying around and shazmmm no more fan problems :) should have done this along time ago

I bought a set of opern end supertrapps off ebay so took off mufflers. And then drove it through the neighborhood.

Got my Mark's pipes and jet kit installed today. As everyone knows, it sounds awesome. Unfortunatly didn't have time to get a look at the spark plugs after the test ride. Hopefully I can check them when I get home from work tomorrow.

Thank you Sean for the quick tips.

Best weather today of the year and I got out for a quick 60 mile ride. Redbone ran great although I still need to adjust the fork spring preload but that will have to wait until later this week and no test rides probably until Saturday.
It felt good to be back on the road again! :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

Best weather today of the year and I got out for a quick 60 mile ride. Redbone ran great although I still need to adjust the fork spring preload but that will have to wait until later this week and no test rides probably until Saturday.
It felt good to be back on the road again! :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

Nothing like that first ride in the spring is there, Brian...glad you finally got a chance to get out!! :punk:

I'll have to add pics later but I finally replaced my stock mirrors with some slick lower profile aftermarket items, also- got my seat latches installed FINALLY (after having the bike like 9 months!) bc the P.O. had removed them because his fat hands had trouble apparently wrestling with the release latches as so, decided to remove and throw them away. in the last couple weeks I have repainted the bike from horrible horrible color change purple to gunmetal grey, I've removed my rear fender and wired up an alternate tail light that's much smaller and brighter, and have relocated the license plate to the rear axle to get some of that clutter away from the back end of the tail. I guess next is a set of fresh turn signals since I don't have any at present, and the old ones on there were cheap aftermarkets that were practically invisible when they were working properly.

Oh, I also finally discovered there's an air assist valve on my forks! (1990) I went ahead and pumped them up to about 20 psi (from like 5 psi). Anybody have recommended pressure settings for a 175lb rider? Feels good to spend some time making my V-Max my own finally. Been riding a purple bastard all winter and it was time to start feeling GOOD about my 'Max!

I'll have to add pics later but I finally replaced my stock mirrors with some slick lower profile aftermarket items, also- got my seat latches installed FINALLY (after having the bike like 9 months!) bc the P.O. had removed them because his fat hands had trouble apparently wrestling with the release latches as so, decided to remove and throw them away. in the last couple weeks I have repainted the bike from horrible horrible color change purple to gunmetal grey, I've removed my rear fender and wired up an alternate tail light that's much smaller and brighter, and have relocated the license plate to the rear axle to get some of that clutter away from the back end of the tail. I guess next is a set of fresh turn signals since I don't have any at present, and the old ones on there were cheap aftermarkets that were practically invisible when they were working properly.

Oh, I also finally discovered there's an air assist valve on my forks! (1990) I went ahead and pumped them up to about 20 psi (from like 5 psi). Anybody have recommended pressure settings for a 175lb rider? Feels good to spend some time making my V-Max my own finally. Been riding a purple bastard all winter and it was time to start feeling GOOD about my 'Max!
You probably should check your owners manual because you have too much air pressure in there. I believe the max air pressure is around 15 psi and if yo go higher you risk blowing out your seals.
If you feel that your forks are too spongy (most have the same thoughts about stock forks) you should look into getting some aftermarket springs, release all the air out of the forks and try 15 wt oil. I did that on my '92 and it made a world of difference.

Sent this stuff to the powdercoater:

Attachments

• castings to the powdercoater.jpg
    castings to the powdercoater.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 17
:)

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 16
You probably should check your owners manual because you have too much air pressure in there. I believe the max air pressure is around 15 psi and if yo go higher you risk blowing out your seals.
If you feel that your forks are too spongy (most have the same thoughts about stock forks) you should look into getting some aftermarket springs, release all the air out of the forks and try 15 wt oil. I did that on my '92 and it made a world of difference.

Thanks for the tip, I'm glad I didn't try going any higher. I know most forks air assists are minimal pressure only, so I tried not to get too ambitious. Tonight I'll check and lower as necessary. Lowering and oil height/weight are thing I'm somewhat comfortable with so dialing it all in should be a fun project here this spring. I'll keep the 15w in mind, I do like slowing things down a bit sometimes, which of course that would help with..

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back