What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thing is why do you need to change it? Many mistake the expansion joints for cracks. Also, even heavy groving will not affect function. They only NEED to be replaced for warpage reasons.

That said,
all year vmax rears will fit. 85-92 right fronts will fit your rear.
93-07 Vmax and 99-03 R1 (plus a few other models) will fit on the rear with a brake adapter to move the caliper outboard to clear the larger diameter.

Sean

these will also work on the rear (not sure what year ventures, the link says 1990):

$(KGrHqJHJCYE9sS-(OFzBPe2QpKP4!~~60_35.JPG

Set the valve clearances on the bike and installed the vboost servo motor Kyle sent me.

That vboost is awesome :eusa_dance: Never had it working before.

Thanks Kyle! You are the man!

Finished my new instrument panel. It's all ready for the install when my speedo/tach shows up. I thought I could get away with using plastic from a trophy shop, but it cracked when I was putting it all back together. So I used the trusty 1/4" lexan. As soon as I find my AutoCAD CD, I can input the key and then I'll post a template (minus gauge holes) so that it can be downloaded for those who want to make their own custom instrument cluster.

The clear LED's and switch are the neutral indicator, Vboost switch (3k-off-6k), low oil (red flashing), low fuel (red flashing). The new speedo and tach should be here shortly, according to the tracking, it's in Anchorage, so I might see it tomorrow. But definitely this week. It will have the turn indicators, high beam, and fuel gauge. The warning indicators are going to be set up for nitrous applications (low fuel pressure, armed).

instrumentcluster2013.jpg

I also got my bellypan and side panels primered, just have to give it a light sanding and then its paint time and take care of the tail and the scoops. My new faux tank is on the way, I should have it by the first week of October. So with some luck and free time, I should have the paint done, and all the body work back on the Archangel. Then it's time to fab some bracketry for the nitrous bottle, then it will be time to take off the engine covers to send to Sean as a core for the clear cover set that is on order. Then it's extended swingarm time. I'm glad I parked the bike a month early, school is tough this semester and I'm needing the extra time.

Thanks for the nice comments on the instrument cluster.

My speedo/tach came in today. As typical with the china stuff, there is no instructions and you have to make your own wiring harness. It's pre-wired with a 9-pin connector. The speedo appears to be cable driven and not electric. I have a new cable coming, so we'll see how well it works. Now I'm just hooking the puppy to the bench so see what wires go where. Being it's a Koso copy, I'm looking at their wiring to see if it lines up or not. But for $50, like the adjustable levers, I'm thinking it's the gamble is going to pay off.

So far, I'm loving the way it looks on the bike. It's smaller than I expected which is a plus in my view. I'm going to get a lower, 1" scope mount to bring my shift light in closer to the unit.

Once I get the wiring down, I'll post what wire does what. This way if anyone wants to go this route the leg work will already be done.

tach.jpg

replaced my cazz front rotor carrier bolts with SS bolts THANKS SEAN!!!
before & after attached.

oh man does that look better. they started to strip the head at about 27 ft lbs (suggested torque 30) so i left them at 26 or so. should be fine since the oem bolts are 18 ft lbs. blue loctite to be sure.

also fitted a 130/70 shinko advance on the front. it looks awesome! i forgot to take a pic b/c i had it on and off 100 times to see which fork brace would work best. i think the stock one will unfortunately but i'll play with it more next week probably.

Attachments

• IMAG0840.jpg
    IMAG0840.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0839.jpg
    IMAG0839.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 17
No go on the new fork brace?

possibly not with the new 130 tire. it just takes a while to see if it will fit since i have to remove the wheel each time.

i tried the brace one way but i want to try it 180? to see if the holes are offset differently.

but it seems the stock one causes less 'rubbing' in only the nubs hit it, whereas it seems on the one i got from you the tire itself hits (every so slightly, it might be nubs also)

i'll let u know either way tho. the 130 tire looks siiiiiiiiiiiiiick

I organized the SHIPPING of my bike TO ME!!!! Finally it's been plated as a compliant 'second-hand import' and I can get it over here and register it. It's only taken 11 months-ish since I purchased it...

You guys cannot even think of how excited I am! :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

I organized the SHIPPING of my bike TO ME!!!! Finally it's been plated as a compliant 'second-hand import' and I can get it over here and register it. It's only taken 11 months-ish since I purchased it...

You guys cannot even think of how excited I am! :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
Do you even remember what it looks like ??? :D
Glad to hear you're FINALLY getting it !

That's GOTTA suck to wait that long for a bike! Good to hear it's almost home.

Shipper called to say it left today. It'll be here on Wednesday. Then I gotta buy a 48hour permit ($21) so I can ride it to be inspected and then registered and plated. Almost there!!!

I am going to give you the Special Vmax Forum Patience Award for 2012! Congratulations, you earned it!

pics of 130 tire....

Attachments

• IMAG0841.jpg
    IMAG0841.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0842.jpg
    IMAG0842.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 32
Back