What else?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthair88

Reaction score
What else could cause lack of spark other than plug-plug wire-coil? I'm trouble shooting a dead cylinder and am at a stand still.
All of you got my xmass card I sent you with the money in it right????

Shorthair..........

What else could cause lack of spark other than plug-plug wire-coil? I'm trouble shooting a dead cylinder and am at a stand still.
All of you got my xmass card I sent you with the money in it right????

Shorthair..........

Check the coil for that cylinder. The book lists the electrical specs for the high and low sides. Also check the wire and boot for correct resistance value.

First, you put a known good plug in the boot and rested on the outside of motor while turning over to make sure it's not that particular plug with a problem?

Spent it quickly. Used it to pay for the postage that wasn't put on the card.

Don't overlook that a bad or no spark isn't really a bad or no spark. Sometimes it's just hard to tell it's firing. Carbs cause more issues then most on these bikes. If not that and only missing on one cylinder it's either:

Coil
Plug Cap (or wire)
TCI Box
Wiring

Most of the rest of it will cause no spark on all cylinders or a no crank condition.
Sean

Spent it quickly. Used it to pay for the postage that wasn't put on the card.

Don't overlook that a bad or no spark isn't really a bad or no spark. Sometimes it's just hard to tell it's firing. Carbs cause more issues then most on these bikes. If not that and only missing on one cylinder it's either:

Coil
Plug Cap (or wire)
TCI Box
Wiring

Most of the rest of it will cause no spark on all cylinders or a no crank condition.
Sean
+ 1 I just sent him a coil off my 86 that was running perfect & double checked it before I sent it.

Coil you sent me was fine Cap, I checked plugs-plug wires and coil..Im asking what else could it be? I checked these things befor I posted question, I should have been more clear.

+ 1 I just sent him a coil off my 86 that was running perfect & double checked it before I sent it.

Im new to the site and wouldn't be offended if you blow this off. But i would look hard at voltage and signal to the coil. Ive had wires show good voltage but not carry the amps to work a solenoid. If the coil,wire and plug are known good,the coil must not be getting the "right" stuff.

Now thats what i'm talking about, how and where do I go about checking that, I do know how to use a mutimeter. thanx.

Im new to the site and wouldn't be offended if you blow this off. But i would look hard at voltage and signal to the coil. Ive had wires show good voltage but not carry the amps to work a solenoid. If the coil,wire and plug are known good,the coil must not be getting the "right" stuff.

An electrical schematic will help you a ton.You can probably get one from this forum! I Would start at the coil connection. a simple volt test wiyh the key in run.I think its a red\white wire. Given 12+vdc,move on to signal from icu.I would test with low impedance test light.Mine is a snap on,I would think anyone would do.Anyways, ground the test light,probe the signal wire connection and crank.The test light should light up and flash.If it starts, you can test your light on a coil that is firing so you know what you should be seeing.When its running probe the red\white again,Your test light should be on steady.If Your light is real dimn,You may have amperage problem.If You dont have one or both,You need to trace the wire back until you find a break or bad connection.That won't be much fun however.I have a 85 also and those wires have lost some flexibility.You can also test for volt drop in the power wire.Hook Your volt meter up to batt. positive and probe red\wht. at coil with key on and started. Zero reading would be the best.Any voltage shown, would be the volt drop in that circut. If I found I was missing either,I would bypass the wire with a jumper wire and see if i get spark.If that does it,run a new wire or fillet the harness. BTW,Does the tach work? I see one signal wire supplies the v boost contol,fuel pump relay and the tach.Not sure if thats Your dead cyl. or not.The three other signal wires run direct from icu to coil. Hope this helps.Good luck!

I discovered the other day that the kick stand switch/nuetraql switch interlock can do some really wierd stuff too. It doesn't kill the whole ignition, only a couple of cylinders. One of my friends had some wierd mis fire issues and tach jumping around symptoms...traced it to this...I didn't think much about it till I happened to be revving my bike up and pulling in the clutch and putting it in gear all at the same time. My kickstand switch was stuck so when I put it in gear it thought the stand was down.
It didn't kill the engine, just made it sputter and pop.....If I did this at idle of course it died immediately..at high idle of 1500 or better it wouldn't die...just do as above...

Kick stand switch lubed and cleaned and problem solved.....:ummm:

Latest posts

Back