what is this thing I broke?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
So I did a wheelie over some train tracks last night and I heard POP GRIND GRIND GRIND from my drive line the second I whent to do it.

I hope its not a transmission issue, theres been NO problem or noise leading to this point but now it wont put power to the ground at all. it just revvvs up like a pissed off dragon on the rag and makes grinding sounds.

I pulled the final drive and its fine, I checked the U-joint=fine. I checked the drive shaft...NOT fine. the little Doo-hicky that slides into the fianl drive with the seal/sheilding on it has a spring inside attached to a splined shaft. The spring thing/ shaft is broken. (dont worry the low quality pictures explain it all!

1) So what is this EVIL little spring thing I broke?(proper name if possible)
2) would it stop power from making it to the ground?
3) who wants to sell me one?

Thanks fellas. (P.S.) I have some BAD ASS new parts in the mail to finish her up that will be here in a couple weeks so if we could get her back up before then I would deeply appriciate it!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 91
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 82
More odd is that the part I need is the ONLY one in the parts micro fiche that ig not numbered of labeled! WTF?
Now I know it's hard but don't everyone jump in at once to tell me where to get one.

I never had one apart, and as you already know, its definately broken! Babbitts has a great online parts website, maybe it will show the P/N....?

I looked it up, and it seems like its the pinion gear and not available as a seperate piece. You gotta buy the whole differential. Time to search ebay!

Middle gear huh? Think it would stop her dead like that?
I mean I made it home but even under the slightest load it just grinds and wont put donw power. its mostly a coasting kinda thing

Middle gear huh? Think it would stop her dead like that?
I mean I made it home but even under the slightest load it just grinds and wont put donw power. its mostly a coasting kinda thing

Makes sense, with it sheared from the compression spring it wouldn't make good contact during a load and start to separate from its mating gear and give you a grinding noise.

hmmmm. So this is a "replace everything around it" in order to fix it thing? That makes me sad...

I think you can get that particular part. I googled the part number and have seen it as low as $160 and as high as $300.

I think if you get a hold of Sean or Kyle they might have the part, Pinwall cycles or John at Sportmax might have one too.

Pinwall has one on Ebay right now for $99 with $24 shipping. Likely to be my cheapest route. What do we think fellas? Pinwall's done me very well thus far and at $124 i dont think ill find a cheaper way to do it even replacing the single part.

Pinwall has one on Ebay right now for $99 with $24 shipping. Likely to be my cheapest route. What do we think fellas? Pinwall's done me very well thus far and at $124 i dont think ill find a cheaper way to do it even replacing the single part.
Its $ 115 shipped thru me it will need a paint job but is in good shape other wise.

Yep, I would have been more then that. The sheared off pinion is not uncommon (though it doesn't happen all the time). Pull the end that is stuck on the driveshaft off and the driveshaft will be fine to reuse.

I might be interested in the broken diff setup though.

Sean

The moment I have my new one the broken set up is yours Sean. Yes the drive shaft looks great still so it SHOULD be a bolt on repair for once on my end.

so the 'sleeve' the driveshaft went into snapped where it attaches into the rear diff, is that correct? just putting this one in the 'if i hear a noise things i mentally could check for' box..

The end of the pinion gear broke off so it can no longer hold the "sleeve" in a stable position in the rear diff. Most of the time you can actually make it home with it that way but an eventual complete failure is eminent. The "Sleeve" is a coupler to have the shaft connect to the diff. It's actually splined where it fits into the diff onto the pinion gear. Then a lock nut holds it in place.

You can see in the picture the lock nut is broken off the end of the pinion.

I diagnosed this over the phone at one of the Florida tune up days a couple of years ago on one of the guys bikes that was there. It can make a knocking sound and or vibration.

If you do send me the diff you can take out the ring gear assembly from the center (2 big bolts and 6 nuts I think). That will cut the weight down considerably for shipping (though it would ship flatrate for $15). I'd like to have the coupler and the plastic shield (if you take the ring gear out).

Sean

Ill use whatever I need when I get the new one (probably nothing) from the old one and flat rate you everything else if that works for you. I won't have a use for anything that doesn't go back into the bike.

Back