VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budman008

Reaction score
So, Proud first time owner of a VMAX for one week... I admit, I like to get on her... but that's kind of the point. It's a 2000 carbon edition with double d clutch mod, solid motor mounts, and it's got one of morley's seats too. Favorite bike I've ever rode so far. Yesterday, I was gettin on it with the girl on the back, missed second(no excuse), and i popped it in, well, all we heard was metal pieces blowing apart :bang head:... tire locked up initially, skidding quite a ways, then it freed up. luckily I only had to push it a short ways home. Anyhow, I was able to shift into all 5 gears yesterday after the mishap, with no power being transmitted to the rear wheel at all. My first thought was the final drive, but today I went back to trouble shoot some more, and I can't get the trans to shift above 3rd gear. Can any of you more experienced fellas give me your thoughts, I'd like to have a better idea before i started taking the bike apart. Somewhere from the trans, through the midgear, drive shaft, to the pumpkin there lies a problem. Any input from what details I have described would be appreciated as I dearly want to get her back on the road. One week of riding has just been enough to tease me. thanks ahead of time for any input. --Casey

Could be a few things but I would check your driveshaft sounds like you could have snapped it. Pull your wheel & differential & take a look. If its the diff or driveshaft I have the parts you need to fix it. I have broke a couple of them my self.

It could be your trans, or your shift segment. I doubt you blew a driveshaft. I'm on #3 and you would know when they go and if yours did, that wouldn't have anything to do with not being able to shift above 3rd.

ya sounds more in the tans or as KJ said the shift segment even thou its a new style, not sure if they can still give up. Ques for sean, im sure he has a better idea of what happened.

It could be your trans, or your shift segment. I doubt you blew a driveshaft. I'm on #3 and you would know when they go and if yours did, that wouldn't have anything to do with not being able to shift above 3rd.
The reason I said to check it is he said it shifted fiine at first & also every time I broke my shaft it sounded like hell & did not seem like it wanted to shift untill I put the new shaft in & put the bike in gear & moved it arond a bit then it was fine. Plus the driveshaft is real easy to check & see if broke with out having to pull a bunch of crap apart.

Captain kyle, you called it buddy... twisted right in half. (I also cranked the engine to give power to the trans, and i was able to go through all five gears, it was off when i was only hitting 3rd) thanks again for the advice, saved me precious time.

Attachments

• broke 023.jpg
    broke 023.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 41
  • broke 021.jpg
    broke 021.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 37
Captain kyle, you called it buddy... twisted right in half. (I also cranked the engine to give power to the trans, and i was able to go through all five gears, it was off when i was only hitting 3rd) thanks again for the advice, saved me precious time.
Cool I have extra driveshafts here if you need to purchase one.

Cool I have extra driveshafts here if you need to purchase one.

I'm gonna check around here local first to see if I can locate one(if i can, i'll be able to get it back on the road tomorrow) I'll pm you if I can't find any shafts in my area, and we can work out the details. Thanks again for the help.

Way easier to fix then the trans for sure! You could get a HD shaft (I have one available) or stil with the stock shafts. Personally I would stick with the stock one and leave that as the weak link.

I've probably got a spare too though I tend to use all of mine lol!

Sean.

There's not a lot of give in that DD clutch set up. But, it'swhat we want when we do it.
Kyle, is there a stronger shaft available? Then the differential will blow I bet. That's why I like roll on races. They're much cheaper to do.
Steve

There are stronger shafts. BUT, I broke 3 engine cases before I quit using them. Easier to do the shaft then the engine.

Sean

There are stronger shafts. BUT, I broke 3 engine cases before I quit using them. Easier to do the shaft then the engine.

Sean

You are wise man. If something has got to give, let it be cheap!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

They break in all kinds of ways and all kinds of places. More do break cleanly though then unwind.

Sean

almost like it was made with a shear point on purpose eh dan, like they got it right the first time those crafty engineers eh :ummm:

I would have bet the farm it was a tranny problem, This forum has the best diagnostic team than any other forum I have ever been a part of. It's kinda like watching House which I am a big fan of. Good call Captain. :clapping:Joe

Back