When is a phillips head screw not a phillips head

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevman

Reaction score
Well for all of us who have stripped out phillips head screws and have resorted to drills ,hammers,punches,oxy torches ,welders etc. to get a screw out .Here is a solution maybe....I thought there were maybe 6 to 8 different types of philips head screws and the screwdrivers that undo them.Fuck me backwards and tie me to a yardarm ...Follow the link and get demystified ok learn something new..http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/ It was quite an eyeopener for me .So be prepared to do some shopping or some modifying.Cheers Kevman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for all of us who have stripped out phillips head screws and have resorted to drills ,hammers,punches,oxy torches ,welders etc. to get a screw out .Here is a solution maybe....I thought there were maybe 6 to 8 different types of philips head screws and the screwdrivers that undo them.Fuck me backwards and tie me to a yardarm ...Follow the link and get demystified ok learn something new..
http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/.....It was quite an eyeopener for me .So be prepared to do some shopping or some modifying.Cheers Kevman.

Well jerk me off and call me shorty - your link didn't work.
Comes up "The request contains an illegal URL."
Please try again.
Cheers, Miles

I bet this is what he meant...

Ever wonder why philips head screws are on carbs?

The Phillips system was invented for use in assembling aluminum aircraft, with the object of preventing assemblers from tightening screws so tightly that the aluminum threads strip....... Phillips is designed so that when excess torque is applied it will camout rather than ream the recess and destroy the bit.

So you couldn't over-tighten and break off bowl screws and the like. Except they didn't think about getting them back out 10 years later, that more torque would be needed to remove them.

I suspect the Vmax uses mostly JIS screws though. Grinding the point on standard philips screwdrivers makes them fit better.

This is the only tool I use to remove & tighten phillip screws. Had one since I was a Yamaha bike mechanic back in the 70's .... still works great today on my V-max; especially with the carb assembly.

impact-screwdriver.jpg

This is the only tool I use to remove & tighten phillip screws. Had one since I was a Yamaha bike mechanic back in the 70's .... still works great today on my V-max; especially with the carb assembly.

impact-screwdriver.jpg

Not to mention removing those coils that Yamaha might as well have welded to the bike...:damn angry:

I bought one of the bit kits from harbor freight it has most bits you would ever need and no filing or grinding a driver to fit. I also use a "fat wrench" I bought from Midway USA a gunsmithing and gun accessories place..you can use it to torque in inch pounds. It comes in handy with those smaller screws...

Hand impacts work great, but carefull on things like carb covers. Or, you'll be buying a new intake manifold. Ask me how I know? I'm all for a total ban on straight slot screws world wide....Phillips are a dream to drill and extract?

impact-screwdriver.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hand impacts work great, but carefull on things like carb covers. Or, you'll be buying a new intake manifold. Ask me how I know? I'm all for a total ban on straight slot screws world wide....Phillips are a dream to drill and extract?

impact-screwdriver.jpg
[/QUOTE]

i would be happy if we went to allenhead and metric world wide and never looked back.

Back