Where do you work on your bike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 Car Garage, shared by 3 bikes and a lot of Crap... It's always too hot here in Florida but I have a portable Air Conditioner that helps...

2 car garage that usually has 2 vehicles plus the Max in. Pull out the 4runner to work on the bike, which always takes longer than planned so the Toyota sits out all night, which I hate. Normal assortment of hand tools, borrow the specialty ones normally.

Those big red tool boxes! it takes years of collecting tools to get one full. Unless you went down to the store and went into debt up to your eyeballs. Most of the people I know....... you look in those big tool boxes. There is only a small toolbox amount of tools in them

For some reason, reading that made me think of Walt in Gran Torino. :)

Simliar to midmoraider--2 car garage that usually has 2 vehicles plus good 'ol Maxxy. When I built the house some 5 years ago, I had the builder deepen the garage with an additional 8-10 ft (wasn't allowed to widen) b/c I knew that eventually I'd be getting a bike and would need to room to store it. However, I didn't factor in the amount of room I would need to actually WORK on it
shot.gif
. So out goes the truck whenever I need to dismantle Maxxy Boy.
user5722_pic4313_1296920450.jpg

Moved here from a townhouse with just 2 parking spots and a storage unit 3 years ago .....now have a 3 car garage...heated in the summer and air conditioned in the winter.
Single side has work bench, peg boards, shelves with oils and sorts, 9 drawer (RED) tool box (enough tools to tear anything down and put back together....which is what the hammer and channel locks are for:rofl_200:).

Other side has Max, FZ1, xj550 w/sidecar, 68 BSA Spitfire 650 in boxes, ride-em mower, 4 bycicles, X-Mas stuff, summer stuff.....and too much crap accumilated over time (half should be in a dumpster).

Wife just got a new SUV and whants to park inside:ummm:
Still trying to figure out how to fit it in.
And trying to figure out where I had all this stuff when I was in the townhouse:confused2:

I have a modest 2 car garage in govt ( base ) housing. I owned a house in MS before moving up here and a garage of any kind sure beats a carport, or nothing.
Currently my Max is sharing space with a '03 Ranger, '01 Saturn, a push type mower, snowblower, a fiberglass cap I am currently keeping off the Ranger, 2 mountain bikes, all the lawn and garden furniture, several shelving units full of misc stuff my wife still hasn't sorted through since the last move. ( But to her credit she DID put up the shelves and organize it while I was deployed ).
Somewhere in all this is a small collection of simple hand tools which I am waiting until it is spring to organize into a more cohesive work bench area.

Speaking of waiting for a warm up. I don't wanna sound like too much of a wussy since I do work nights outside when it is WAY below zero, but right now it is 20 above and I do NOT feel like getting dressed to go throw a simple throttle cable on. However, I am using the excuse that my wife will be home from class in a few and I don't want to be in her way when she tries to park.

P.S. I also have a "project" FZR600 'fighter that is languishing in a storage unit across town, waiting for an organized work space to get resurrected.

Last edited:
For years I did most of my wrenching out in my gravel driveway with a big Chinese Elm tree for shade. Darn bugs killed my Elm tree, so now I just wait til later in the evening to wrench on anything during the hot season. I keep cardboard pieces around to place under whatever I'm working on - as dropping those little pieces/parts in the gravel can be a real beech to find again.

I have a gray tool box in addition to a couple of the red ones - somewhere under all the stacked junk and spare parts etc.. (yes, I'm a hoarder, and proud of it) I can find enough wrenches, screwdrivers and pliers lying around amongst the clutter to get most jobs done well enough. Just don't ask me to get it done in a hurry.

Most everything I did last year in my brother-inlaws garage but he moved so in the warm weather I'm outside my house on the street but this winter I rented a 10x 10 storage unit unlit and unheated ( that sucked) and after this month it's back to out on the street. And as for tools, I have alot of tools that I use for work as a lock and safe tech to get by with. But someday hopefully a nice heated well lit garage.

I found some oldies...

Attachments

• SV1000-disassembled-1.0.jpg
    SV1000-disassembled-1.0.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 30
  • SV after fork rebuild 2008.jpg
    SV after fork rebuild 2008.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 27
I have a deep one stall garage, in the winter I store my bike in my in laws garage. Winter time my garage is use to park the wife's Jeep Liberty and to hang and butcher deer. I have a fair amount of tools and a medium red tool box, early spring I kick the wife's Jeep outside and the Vmax takes it over. Damn, I'm not looking forward to cleaning the garage to bring 2fear home :damn angry:

I work in the garage/basement. No wall separates the two. Gives me plenty of room for storage of my "junk" as the wife refers to it.

She holds a grudge against my "junk" since her car is no longer allowed in the garage.

Basic tools for the most part on hand to tackle what I am capable of. I have access to some bigger, better things here at work.

I work in the garage/basement. No wall separates the two. Gives me plenty of room for storage of my "junk" as the wife refers to it.

She holds a grudge against my "junk" since her car is no longer allowed in the garage.

Basic tools for the most part on hand to tackle what I am capable of. I have access to some bigger, better things here at work.
My girlfriends car got kicked out of the garage long ago but she dont complain to much.

im guilty also no red box but i have two big stainless boxes.and for garage? 1st 50x80 heated 2nd 30x50 heated 3rd is the wifes 24x24 cant use that one:damn angry: Took alot of hard work to get the buildings i wanted but you never have enough room always want a bigger building,i do have the weilders,air ,hoist and prob.every other tool . took time but this is what i work out of.:punk:

i have a single car detached garage. it's small but i have everything i need.
welder, air compressor, drill press, parts washer, tunes ,tv and AC for them hot summer nights. all orginized by my beer drinking buddies. i can still fit the vmax and my s-10 blazer inside.oh the things i could do with a bigger garage/shop. i could collect more crap.

No matter how much room you have it's never enough.

My first building (50x100) filled up quickly. The second building is also pretty full (60x80). Even the 2nd floor balconies in the first building (one if 22x40 and the other 18x44) have crap on them. I do have 2 extra large lifts and one portable (Kendon) lift but no car lift yet (though the concrete is setup for it). I put in pex pipe when we built the building 15+ years ago for in floor heat but didn't get it hooked up. I swear I am finishing that this year! Probably still won't have AC in it.

Never bothered counting tools. Try to keep a tool box in most of the "daily drivers" which means a shit load of tools. Got the cheapo wire feed and of course the good Syncrowave 250 Mig welder (though I don't do the welding).

If I don't have the tool when I need it I go buy or make it.

Got one under utilized table I want to try and dig out soon too. It's a 5' x 10' Steel Table that is 1" thick. I think it weighs over 2000lbs and had to be taken off the trailer with the engine hoist. Of course got plenty of other tables but they almost always seem full.

Was going to buy an 8' metal brake today but it was in too poor condition. So, will keep doing our hand forming. Of course have the hydralic table lifts to get the engines easily out and into the truck as well as the engine hoist for those pesky big block chevy's I just can't pull out by hand anymore.

Got the drill press, 20ton press, tubing/pipe bender, band saw, table saw, jig saw, drop saw, chop saw and more.

The house has a 3 car garage that I try to keep my bike stuff out of (or minimal). I have the heated carb tank there and a small work bench to do the carb work at the house so i can go in and out "after hours" and be closer to my kids if needed.

As many have noted I too have worked very hard to get all the crap I have.

Sean

i work in my buddies garage 100 x 120, heat, ac, tig, mig, chop saw wire wheel 2nd op lathe, drill press giant red tool box(lol) glass bead blaster, bend-pac lift (asymetrical) big ass compressor, and tons of other crap plus the ultimate, a Beverage Air keg-er-rator ! also have access to a 40 gallon hot tank ultra-sonic tank work: 80 ton press, bridgeport mills, big lathes and some real good guys that will mill and turn things if its over my pay rate !

If it's something fairly quick, it's done in the house where she lives.
Longer fixes require me to get the shadow and ninja out of the garage to make room.

I also have a big red toolbox, but it's filled with tools that I never use. Hell, I've still got a dwell meter and point adjustment driver in there. The tools that get used are in a 5 gallon bucket and completely unorganized and a PIA to find quickly.

Big 2 car garage, no big red tool box.
Wife's car is alway parked on one side of the garage; my 3 bikes are on the other side.
My truck stays outside.
I'm not mechanically inclined, and have no real desire to learn; no excuses, no apologies.
I only do minor maintenance on my bikes.
Willing & able to pay a bike mechanic I trust to do anything requiring "real" mechanical ability.
I "don't" want to ride on a VMax that I "worked" on.
That's a scary thought............

Jester 42

I have two 2 1/2 car garages, one garage came from when my next door neighbor's house burned down about a year ago, and that's become my work garage, although it's unheated and no wiring (yet). I started out with a med. red box with just a few tools. And like a lot of the guys on here, the tools have accumulated over the last 25 years or so. I have found it pretty easy to buy tools as I need them or when a good sale comes along. If I run into something I can't handle I go to my dad's 40 x 80 pole barn that's more suited for long-term work.

Latest posts

Back