Which size rings?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarick123

Reaction score
I'm still in the process of tearing down this '88 engine for a complete rebuild... how do I know which size ring set to order for the pistons? From what I saw in the parts fiche, there's stock and then two sizes of slightly oversized. Are those intended to compensate for wear on the sleeve?

you can measure the cylinder with a bore gauge and/or measure the piston. not sure on max motors but usually it is stamped on top of the piston, might have to clean it off a little to read it. prob in mm.

I'm still in the process of tearing down this '88 engine for a complete rebuild... how do I know which size ring set to order for the pistons? From what I saw in the parts fiche, there's stock and then two sizes of slightly oversized. Are those intended to compensate for wear on the sleeve?

I would imagine those are slight over bore rings for guys "freshening" a motor up.

Sean would be the man for this one.

[email protected]

Chris

Well this one definitely fits pretty much any description of "freshening up" that you can think of... if by "freshening up", you mean "removing the sand and mud from inside the engine after it was submerged". :)

You match the rings to the piston and bore size. The OEM sizing you noted goes along with the piston sizing. So, a first oversize piston would get the first oversize ring. It would only fit into a block that has also been bored out to the first oversize.

I have a set of 2nd oversize (I think) pistons and rings and can get plenty of aftermarket rings too. I may even have a set of stock bore rings on hand. You can clean up your engine and inspect the bore. You may be able to do a cylinder hone and install a fresh set of rings on your pistons (if they are good).

Sean

Well this one definitely fits pretty much any description of "freshening up" that you can think of... if by "freshening up", you mean "removing the sand and mud from inside the engine after it was submerged". :)

lol
:biglaugh:

So if I go get a bore gauge (or can I just use a dial caliper?), what measurement should I be seeing for a standard bore?

Other than a little surface rust from not being run in years (after being underwater), the cylinders look pretty good. I figure a few passes with a hone should clean them up nice.

The pistons looked great, just soaked them in some Seafoam overnight and they scrubbed clean. Rings were, of course, also rusty, as well as permanently compressed. Had to get them out with careful use of a chisel and 6 pound drilling hammer. :)

I don't have the spec with me at the moment but the manual should have it. Don't stress it too much though. A good hone and new rings will usually do just fine for most engines unless they have a crap ton of miles (probably talking 75K and up). Also don't worry about any light pitting as that won't generally cause problems (unless you are looking for every single 1/2 HP).

Sean

Back