winter projects

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxcruzer

Reaction score
I'm jumping in with both feet on my winter projects, Seat is boxed and off to Sean tomorrow, bike is torn down to the engine, fuel tank, frame and steering neck. Front forks are getting serviced and Ricor intiminators installed this week, rear swing arm is off.

Question: I'm having several parts powder coated and I got to looking at the control covers on the bar (blinker/start/kill switch) and they look shabby. If I paint or coat them obviously the words will be covered. Anyone have a solution for this. Personally I know where the high beam is but I kinda like the wording on it.

Check with your local screen printer and see if they can put the words back on for you.

Scooter

Outside of the screen print option I used to have a link for someone that made decals for the housings.

Sean

Can anyone tell me where this bolt goes?:rofl_200:
Just throwing out some updated pics of the "clean and paint" project. Lots of work ahead. Engine came out kinda hard. Gonna be interesting getting it back in without scratching it.

Kenny

Attachments

• Max 009.jpg
    Max 009.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Max 007 (2).jpg
    Max 007 (2).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 25
My winter project was the "MiniMax" project, except once I started I got so wrapped up in it that it's done and snow hasn't even flown yet. Except it still has a centrifugal clutch drive system, fixed ratio. Total reduction is 7.1:1 between crank and rear axle. The motor's fastest governor setting is 4700RPM(it's a 305cc Briggs&Stratton 11hp), which gives me a top speed of about 38 mph. Currently it's great for trails and "moderate speed" riding. It does alright with hills, better than the stock 6.5hp motor did with a 10:1 ratio. Still, you're burning the crap out of the clutch going up any sort of hill, and 38mph is not even 50% throttle on the engine.

I think I've tracked down all the parts to a Comet torque converter system(they went out of business this fall and their products have become very hard to find). It's basically a miniature version of a snowmobile's clutch system, but it can vary the ratio between 2.7:1 and 0.9:1, which would vary my total ratio between 13.5:1 and 4.5:1. It would fly up hills, and have a top speed around 60mph. Found one "half" of it on ebay for a bargain price, and found a guy on another forum that has a 1"bore driver unit he's willing to part with. Belts are still readily available.

Hopefully over Thanksgiving I'll be able to install it and then I'll really have Vmax performance. Right now it reaches top speed (0-38) in about 6 seconds. Or about 3 times slower than a Vmax, but not bad considering I'm working with about 1/12th the power of the Vmax.

One more American company that bit the dust. I've heard it was because John Deere dropped them as the torque converter supplier for all their Gator utility carts in favor of a chinese made one. JD was 25% of Comet's business and they folded shortly afterward. Pretty sad.

Hey dude I'm really interested in where you go from here. I'm at about the same stage in my winter tear-down. I'd really like to get the engine cleaned and painted but I'm not sure about removing it. Carbs are coming off soon, and then it'll really just be engine and frame. Will you send it out to a shop or DIY? How heavy is the engine - did you need a hoist to get it up onto your stand or can a couple of guys manage it? Are you planning on getting it blasted before painting, or just touching places up?

Can anyone tell me where this bolt goes?:rofl_200:
Just throwing out some updated pics of the "clean and paint" project. Lots of work ahead. Engine came out kinda hard. Gonna be interesting getting it back in without scratching it.

Kenny

Remove the middle drive gear and the engine will slide right in. It's easy to re-install the gear and shims later.

Sean

Remove the middle drive gear and the engine will slide right in. It's easy to re-install the gear and shims later.

Sean
I was afraid to Sean. It would make it a lot easier to slide in. Guess I'll hit the book and see about taking it off for the trip back in.

Sean

Hey dude I'm really interested in where you go from here. I'm at about the same stage in my winter tear-down. I'd really like to get the engine cleaned and painted but I'm not sure about removing it. Carbs are coming off soon, and then it'll really just be engine and frame. Will you send it out to a shop or DIY? How heavy is the engine - did you need a hoist to get it up onto your stand or can a couple of guys manage it? Are you planning on getting it blasted before painting, or just touching places up?

I'm gonna clean the engine with degreaser and scuff the paint with a maroon colored scotch brite pad and repaint it with 500 degree engine paint in a can found at any automotive shop. The frame will get the same treatment where it shows. The paint I'm using is a perfect match. I intend on removing the valve covers and using tape on all the corners for protection when I go to install it. I used a floor jack with a piece of wood on it, put a little up pressure on the engine and undid the motor mounts. It came loose easily but getting it out was a trick. read above where Sean said to remove the middle gear shaft and it will slide out. I'm gonna look into doing that for the install. Take digital pics or label things in baggies so you remember where they go.

I'm gonna clean the engine with degreaser and scuff the paint with a maroon colored scotch brite pad and repaint it with 500 degree engine paint in a can found at any automotive shop. The frame will get the same treatment where it shows. The paint I'm using is a perfect match. I intend on removing the valve covers and using tape on all the corners for protection when I go to install it. I used a floor jack with a piece of wood on it, put a little up pressure on the engine and undid the motor mounts. It came loose easily but getting it out was a trick. read above where Sean said to remove the middle gear shaft and it will slide out. I'm gonna look into doing that for the install. Take digital pics or label things in baggies so you remember where they go.

When I put mine back together recently I thought I was going to be in for a battle as I didn't have any help for the most part. I was surprised that in the end it was pretty easy.
I had planned on doing a famous tip, that is lay the motor on it's side on the floor and pick up the frame and lower it over the motor.
However I didn't need to because it went straight in.

For painting it, for a few dollars a cheapish spray gun can be bought and some decent 2 pack paint and etch primer. If you go the rattle can route, the paint tends to be thin and although might look ok for awhile, you'll be pissed when it starts coming off. 2 pack paint is as hard as nails and should hang on forever with good preperation

Latest posts

Back