Wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been through everything except frame braces and changing the head bearings. I'd rather have a wobble than install those ugly frame braces... in MY opinion. I want to show off that engine, not hide it. :biglaugh:

The head bearings is all I have left.
Here's what I've done so far and the wobble STILL exists in my bike.

The wobble shows it's ugly head when:

- Accelerating hard, and over 60 MPH
- Riding fast on uneven or bad roads
- After hitting a bump in the road (almost like the front and rear wheels are not tracking).

Maintenance to date:

- Accomplished "bounce test" properly tightening the head bearings. FYI... there is a very fine line between developing a low-speed weave (too tight) and high-speed wobble (too loose)
- Replaced rear tire
- Checked front and rear wheel bearings
- Replaced original fork springs with Progressive springs. New oil, and zero air pressure in forks
- Replaced fork brace with HUGE thick steel brace.

My next step is to replace / inspect the head bearings. I'm running out of options. :ummm:

Here's 15 pages (to date) about this topic.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29380

From your description, I'd look at the swing-arm. Shock mounts. It sounds like something moving back there, to me.
Head bearings are easy to inspect. Not expensive to replace.

The order in which you tighten and torque the front end can make a difference too.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Alright well maybe ill replace my steering bearings and races. Ive saw a few guy on here say theyve had to do that. The bike has 24xxx so maybe its just time. Still planning on going with progressive fork springs too so maybr those 2 things will help me.

Fork springs are a great bang for the buck. But not a wobble cure. They will assist handling and braking. Lots of good threads here on setting up our forks. The progressive web site too. Head bearings or their adjustment are a high percentage wobble/weave cause. Once you get it right there's nothing like it. The bikes are capable of being very stable at high speed. Tire pressure tends to get over looked. I like the indicators that let you know if you need air.
Steve-o

Fork springs are a great bang for the buck. But not a wobble cure. They will assist handling and braking. Lots of good threads here on setting up our forks. The progressive web site too. Head bearings or their adjustment are a high percentage wobble/weave cause. Once you get it right there's nothing like it. The bikes are capable of being very stable at high speed. Tire pressure tends to get over looked. I like the indicators that let you know if you need air.
Steve-o
I respectfully disagree.I checked my head bearings then had a experienced Yamaha mechanic check and adjust them also.No difference, still have the same high speed wobble.Then replaced the stock fork springs with progressive and the wobble was gone.WOW!,what a difference! It handled like a totally different bike.The springs was the only thing I changed.Maybe your experience has been different but for me the Progressive springs was the one thing that made the difference.

I respectfully disagree.I checked my head bearings then had a experienced Yamaha mechanic check and adjust them also.No difference, still have the same high speed wobble.Then replaced the stock fork springs with progressive and the wobble was gone.WOW!,what a difference! It handled like a totally different bike.The springs was the only thing I changed.Maybe your experience has been different but for me the Progressive springs was the one thing that made the difference.

What ever did fix it, I'm glad it worked for you. And,I reserve the right to be wrong.

Seems to be there is no definate answer on what to fix to correct this. Seems as if everyone did something different.

Seems to be there is no definate answer on what to fix to correct this. Seems as if everyone did something different.

You know what they say - "different band aids for different people", er, uh, something like that.

Sounds like Shredder may be in a position to finally lay to rest the wobble fix issue.

We have a bike with a wobble and a list of potential things to tweak.

Perhaps we can all agree on what to try and the order of things?

My first shot at it would go like this (in descending order):

1) tires - properly inflated, no excess runout, no signs of cupping.
2) head bearings via Morely video
3) relieve front fork stresses - front wheel on, loosen triple trees, retorque front wheel, then brace, then lower triple tree, then top triple tree
4) check air pressure in front forks - same both sides
5) check rear swingarm movement/play
6) check rear shock setting - same preload and damping settings.

Now that the checks are done - and assuming wobble remains - what makes sense to upgrade?

1) front springs/fluid
2) front fork brace
3) new tires (front and back)
4) new head bearings
5) new wheel bearings (front and back)
6) frame geometry check (read about folks doing this)
7) frame braces
8) braced swingarm

Not 100% on the order of things, feel free to add and/or reprioritize!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Shredder, I chased my wobble problem for quite a while. It took until I removed my engine to fix my transmission and put it back together when my wobble went away, before that I had replaced and adjusted my head bearings installed a fork brace and new tires. I did install solid mounts when I put the engine back in, but you also have to remove and reinstall the rear swing arm. So all that being said my bike was a new animal when I got it back on the road and I'm not sure what really fixed it. I'm under the impression it depends on the bike and while all the suggested upgrades are great and knowledge is appreciated I would go with what your wallet and skill set dictate.

I am more than satisfied with the mods I did to mine. Its rock solid in the twisties and feels very Sure footed at any speed. Its a night and day difference from my old max I had a few years ago. I couldn't trust it and it was always on the verge of wiggle.
-3 inch lowering kit Rear.
-Shinko tour masters Front & Back
-Frame rails. A Must on these.
-15weight oil in forks .stock springs & 2lbs of air.
- rear shocks set on #1
-front triple tree greased & torqued to spec
-balanced wheels
This all worked fantastic for me. Its like ridding a completely different beast.
streach%20001_zpssgeeohc8.jpg

Last edited:
Just checked the air in my forks and there was none. Put them both at 5 psi. Tire pressure was uneven front to back. They are now even to the psi stated on the tire. We will see how it acts next ride.

I set my tire pressures at 33 psi front and 36 psi back as recommended in the Owners Manual for High Speed riding. ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Recommended-tire-air-pressure.jpg
    Recommended-tire-air-pressure.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 79
Just checked the air in my forks and there was none. Put them both at 5 psi. Tire pressure was uneven front to back. They are now even to the psi stated on the tire. We will see how it acts next ride.

I kept my forks around 12. When I bought the bike and rode it home....the handling was a bit spooky. There was no air in the forks.

EDIT*** the forks were stock at that point. Now....progressive springs, and dont run air ON PURPOSE....then it was a mistake.

With racetech setup I keep no air in forks.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back