Work stand for a lowered Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sswallie

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My bike is lowered, and has no center stand. The only time this bothers me is when I'm trying to work on my bike. I'm wondering if anybody has, or would be interested in, creating a stand that would put the bike a couple inches off the ground and hold it upright.

I was thinking one of those race stands you see the sport bikes on, but something with a little more leverage to lift the bike?

Any thoughts?

Hey guys,

My bike is lowered, and has no center stand. The only time this bothers me is when I'm trying to work on my bike. I'm wondering if anybody has, or would be interested in, creating a stand that would put the bike a couple inches off the ground and hold it upright.

I was thinking one of those race stands you see the sport bikes on, but something with a little more leverage to lift the bike?

Any thoughts?

couple guys have made 'em. try searching hubeerj. i think he did

Here's one that you could probably modify to suit your bike... Lift Price isn't bad. Collapsed Height (in.) 5 1/8

Here's one that you could probably modify to suit your bike... Lift Price isn't bad. Collapsed Height (in.) 5 1/8

I bought one of these a few years ago for my atv, shipping was about as much as the lift! :bang head:

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, they have them on sale for about $75.

danny

they do their job. make sure u strap the bike to it!

I tried using a lift like this on my lowered Vmax. If you take the exhaust off of the bike, it will fit under the bike. If you leave the exhaust on, which isn't necessarily a good idea, the stand doesn't fit underneath the bike very easily.

I tried using a lift like this on my lowered Vmax. If you take the exhaust off of the bike, it will fit under the bike. If you leave the exhaust on, which isn't necessarily a good idea, the stand doesn't fit underneath the bike very easily.

I also have one of these... I am actually modifing it to fit under my max. I have not had much time lately... But Kozy is correct they won't fit under your bike unless you take off the exhaust. My bike is lowered about 1.5" and has a Kerker 4-2-1 set up. The header is the main problem unless you want to squash it. I have figured out all the geometry of it. I just need to finish it... Perhaps tonight....

Scooter

The kerker is plenty strong to lift the bike up with from our experience. Don't run the bike with it lifted though if you have rubber pads as they will quickly melt (don't ask me how we figured that one out).

Sean

The kerker is plenty strong to lift the bike up with from our experience. Don't run the bike with it lifted though if you have rubber pads as they will quickly melt (don't ask me how we figured that one out).

Sean

is that like a one time deal sean lifting via the kerker head pipes??? or can be done more then once. just doesn't seem natural to lift it from there.

is that like a one time deal sean lifting via the kerker head pipes??? or can be done more then once. just doesn't seem natural to lift it from there.

I've lifted mine on the Kerkers lots of time and have never had a problem.

I have and use this lift myself. Stock suspension, but my forks are lowered about an inch. It slides fine under my bike as is, however I also place a piece of 3/4" plywood on top of it to both balance the load and protect the rubber pads from the heat of the pipes (balancing carbs). With the plywood it's a VERY Tight fit. Jack works beautifully! Can lift the bike 12" or so off the ground. I then of course attach straps to the rear grab bar to prevent any further movement. I'm assuming they are the same, mine is rated for 1500lbs.

Good to know that we can lift the bike up while leaving the pipes on. I figured that would have been a no-no.
Even leaving the exhaust on the bike though, you'll have to mod the lift somewhat IIRC.
The problem I run into is that my lift isn't wide enough to catch BOTH header pipes. The gap between both pipes is too wide. If the lift was about 5" or 6" wider, then it would be wide enough to cover that span. And I thought about sticking a long piece of wood on the lift to make it wider, but then that doesn't leave enough room to get the lift UNDER the bike since it's lowered. I'm dreading the time when I have to replace my front tire because I don't really have a way to lift the bike.

I got a very similar lift for just $50 at a small stealers in Trampa. I haven't tried lifted the Max with it yet tho - when I bought it last xmas I needed it to lift my Crown Vic's tranny!

Attachments

• P1040552.jpg
    P1040552.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 33
Good to know that we can lift the bike up while leaving the pipes on. I figured that would have been a no-no.
Even leaving the exhaust on the bike though, you'll have to mod the lift somewhat IIRC.
The problem I run into is that my lift isn't wide enough to catch BOTH header pipes. The gap between both pipes is too wide. If the lift was about 5" or 6" wider, then it would be wide enough to cover that span. And I thought about sticking a long piece of wood on the lift to make it wider, but then that doesn't leave enough room to get the lift UNDER the bike since it's lowered. I'm dreading the time when I have to replace my front tire because I don't really have a way to lift the bike.

Stick boards on the ground the same thickness as the ones you want to place on the lift to make it wider. Drive on the boards. One for the front tire, one for the rear.

I bought a pitbull front stand but used the centerstand as the rear stand and could not lift the bike up without fear of it rolling on the rear tire or the jack pivoting out from under it. Will make a pitbull like front stand this winter (I like the one that fits in the steering stem bottom to jack up the front)

I have simply put the bike on it's sidestand then jacked it up on the frame rail or right side header. Makes the bike lean for sure but gets it off the ground easily.

Sean

Back