Old Style Kerker 4-1 Fitment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the Dreamliner gives you a lot of experience w/composites? How-soon 'till you shower us w/VMax gossamar-weight components, stronger than metal?

Did Spirit get spun-off after some leveraged buyout?

Last edited:
We have plenty of folks with the experience out here but I haven't played with it much myself. We were sold off right before some of the higher ups retired. Nice little bonus they got from that.

Sean

Got some Tulsa Spirit guys at our Gulfstream facility in Dallas finishing up some mods on the G280 wing.

When I cut my tab off I used a Dremel tool with cutting wheel , took a little time but worked and bent the other tab over using a small sledgehammer 2 wacks and it was as good as gold! . Hope this helps

Ok got mine installed, getting air blowing up from the rear pipes underneath. I tried tapping them with a rubber mallet but no success. Gotta wait til Sunday to try again, might be hitting somewhere. But they sound awesome, chuckled like I was about to get yelled at by my wife.

Sean, if I am at sea level here, and do decide to buy & fit the Kerker chrome 4/1, can I use the 147.5 main jets? Stock carbs, not even having the plugs in them removed yet. K&N #YA 1285 single filter, though I do have the K&N pods sitting on a shelf. Stock ignition, everything related to intake & ignition, engine innards, you get the idea. My friend is getting ready to reassemble my carbs.

Go with Sean's jet kit and take full advantage of the Kerker.

I helped a Vmax buddy cut off his tabs and footrest mounts with a plama cutter and boy I was impressed. Very quick to cut, very accurate with a small kerf or cut line. The smoother your hand, the neater the job. A minute or two with a grinder wheel and you would never know something was cut off. This was a cheapo plasma cutter. Once again, it pays to have the right tools.

Go with Sean's jet kit and take full advantage of the Kerker.

"Rollie," thanks for weighing-in. I am far-beyond that post in-terms of what I have acquired. Now I have a UFO 4/1 ready to go. For the Kerker 4/1, I would have to cut my centerstand tab, which I really don't want to do. I also don't have the stock Kerker can, but I did acquire some slightly-used literbike sportbike cans I was going to choose-between to have connected to the Kerker header pipe in an effort to try and avoid the sawzall or cutoff wheel removal of my centerstand tab.

I also have a set of Dynojet Stage 7 carbs being refurbished by my local shop. I have lots of things going-on in family life which have prevented me from being able to do carb work, plus, he has a better place to do the work than do I. My wife has been carping at me enough about the Mod Monkey as it is. but, since I just dropped some significant change to get her timing belt & H2O pump & seals replaced, along w/some misc. other car maintenance stuff done, she has to cut me some slack. I used to do maintenance like that myself, but caring for my elderly father-in-law won't allow me to make plans to work on much.

Re: Success!

I put the down tube on the rear cylinders and tried to get it to slide on, not happening! So I took someone elses advice and cut three slits in the top of the rear slip joint and tried again... voila! First time, a little pressure and up it goes, everything settles in place and feels good!
Did you cut the down pipe or the collector pipe? How big of slits?

Did you cut the down pipe or the collector pipe? How big of slits?

I cut the slits in the female part of the connection... probably about an inch long. Enough to give the flexibility to get it to mate then used a clamp to tighten it back up

I cut the slits in the female part of the connection... probably about an inch long. Enough to give the flexibility to get it to mate then used a clamp to tighten it back up
hmmm, I was thinking the male so they'd bend in there. Thanks for the quick reply.

Resurrecting this thread because I am wondering if anyone ended up fabricating a way to get the center stand back on with the Kerker header?

Or, do I just need to suck it up and go buy a lift - and modify it to get around the exhaust? If so - any semi reasonably priced recommendations?

I'm sure the tabs could be reconfigured on both the frame and stand though it will look goofy with it sticking out like a sore thumb on the side with no muffler.

Latest posts

Back