Camshaft Timing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udubec

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in need of help again.

Two of my front cylinders are not working. Maximum compression is okay, current flow is okay, spark plug okay. Rear engine works but really hot.

Why do you think the front camshaft is not working? Can I interchange the camshaft of the front and rear?

I appreciate every answer! Thanks!

I have one question, and not trying to sound like a dick, but why do you think its the camshafts? Usually on a Vmax if there is an issue....its usually the carbs. The carbs at idle can get clogged up to where it feels like a couple of cylinders are dropping out.

Probably a carb sync, carb pilots plugged, or electrical issue (CDI box or pickup coil).

Camshafts are NOT likely to be bad (i've only ever seen it a couple of times).

Thanks for the response. This is very much appreciated.

I have rebuilt the carb with a new carb repair kit and there appears to be a good mixture of gas and air. I have even interchanged the carburators from front to back to eliminate this possibility as a fault.

We originally dismantled the engine to replace the pistons and cylinder sleeves as they were worn. When we reassembled, we followed the markings on the sprockets. If we have at some stage made an error in aligning the timing markings on any of the sprockets, could this cause the problem?

Finally, I can dismantle and take pictures according to anybody's requirements for solving this problem. But please tell me exactly what pictures I will need to take.

Again, thank you. I am in dire need of help.

Yes, don't use ANY aftermarket brass. The gaskets and orings are ok.

Back