Throttle cable question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midmoraider

Reaction score
Hey all, quick question. On the throttle cables, do the cables that have the adjustable barrel nuts connect to each other? Reason I ask is that since I put the ss lines on, there has always been a crap load of free play on my throttle. When I installed them, I just assumed those two ends would mate up in that slide connector thing. Is this right? If so, any thoughts on why I can't take out the slack in the throttle? Both barrel nuts, at the throttle and down at the carbs are turned almost all the way out and there is still a ton of slack. Thanks.

Check to see if the soldered on stop near the throttle grip is still in place. If it's broke the cable will slide up into the throttle housing and make the cable go slack.
My Motion Pro cable broke in the exact spot last year at Thunder. I was able to fix it good enough to get home but it still wasn't right. I am switching over to a Barnett cable on advice from Damon, who pointed me to http://www.barnettclutches.com/. Good luck, it sucks that Motion Pro makes a part that can break this easy.

Yeah, throttle cables are nothing to skimp-upon. I just put two new stock ones on my bike. Be sure to look at the factory service manual for the correct routing, if the casing crimps, your cable could stick, w/disasterous results.

Do you mean the lead looking barrel part? The piece at the top of the cable that fits onto the two holes in the throttle tube? If so, then yeah that is all good. When I put Sean's muscle kit in a couple of weeks ago, the throttle free play was gone when I put it all back together. Problem was, the tube that sits down in the carbs had come out on the reinstall and had gotten in a bind. When I refit it back in it's hole, the slack throttle was back. It's seems like I need longer adjusting nuts on both ends of the cable to get the slack out.

These are the ss ones that Sean carries, btw.

Do you mean the lead looking barrel part? The piece at the top of the cable that fits onto the two holes in the throttle tube? If so, then yeah that is all good. When I put Sean's muscle kit in a couple of weeks ago, the throttle free play was gone when I put it all back together. Problem was, the tube that sits down in the carbs had come out on the reinstall and had gotten in a bind. When I refit it back in it's hole, the slack throttle was back. It's seems like I need longer adjusting nuts on both ends of the cable to get the slack out.

These are the ss ones that Sean carries, btw.
No (In regards to the "barrel looking part"), and I meant Motion Pro cable and not Galfer. Check this link out for the MNotion Pro cables: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/65-0352/
The "L" shaped ends near where the cable comes out there are stoppers that prevents the "L" from going too far into the housing. That ring/ stopper thingy's welds break and allow the "L" to slide too far into the housing leaving the cable slack.
I'm sure this is a terrible description I'll see if I can find my cables and get some pictures.

Last edited:
I don't think I was being real clear on my initial question, so I went out and took some pics. What I need to know is, does the cable in the first pic with the threaded adjuster hook to the cable in the second pic with the threaded adjuster inside of the connector under the scoop? You can see how much I have both adjusting nuts turned out and I still have a ton of free play in my throttle. Nothing I could find in the service manual or online shows which one hooks to which one. Thanks.

Attachments

• Throttle cables 001.jpg
    Throttle cables 001.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Throttle cables 002.jpg
    Throttle cables 002.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 171
  • Throttle cables.jpg
    Throttle cables.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 166
I don't think I was being real clear on my initial question, so I went out and took some pics. What I need to know is, does the cable in the first pick with the threaded adjuster hook to the cable in the second pick with the threaded adjuster inside of the connector under the scoop? You can see how much I have both adjusting nuts turned out and I still have a ton of free play in my throttle. Nothing I could find in the service manual or online shows which one hooks to which one. Thanks.

Maybe this will help?

Attachments

• Throttle Cables.pdf
    92.5 KB · Views: 202
Mike, that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Well, that sucks cause that's how I have them installed. Was hoping they were wrong so it would be an easy fix. I can't figure out why I have so much free play in the throttle. If I get it where it's close, I only have each side attached by like one thread. I don't suppose there's anything else to adjust to tighten it up?

Hmm, If you still have your old cables you might want to see if they are the same length. Make sure that cable cylinder is working properly and that the slider adjustment is correct. Even though the cables are new make sure to observe each operation (throttle/ cable cylinder/ carb) is working as designed. You probably have went through all of this, just trying think through possible issues. My bike is about 50 miles away so I normally can only get to it on the weekends.

It had aftermarket cables off of something else when I got it. PO thought he was some kind of fabricator but apparently just liked trying to cob things together. I don't have any of the stock ones to compare with.

How do you adjust the sliders?

Yep, double check everything. Make sure the ends aren't pulling through your connectors in the junction box too.

Ok, I went out and took a pic of the sliders position. The bottom slider is the one that's adjustable at each end of the cables. Should it sit all the way to the right like that? If I were to let some slack out of the right side cable to move it towards the middle, I don't have enough wiggle room on the left side cable to take up the slack. Also, notice how the left cable doesn't even sit inside the slot correctly? I've also attached the pics of the adjusting nuts position so that you can see I really can't take up anymore slack.

One thing I did notice is that the ss cables have a smaller end than the stock cables so they actually slide back and forth inside the plastic blocks.

Thanks for any help, this is driving me nuts.

Attachments

• Sliders 003.jpg
    Sliders 003.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Throttle cables 001.jpg
    Throttle cables 001.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Throttle cables 002.jpg
    Throttle cables 002.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 93
The main bracket that the pull cable fits into on the carbs is bent. Grab the cable and give it a pull up and back to bend the bracket it fits into. Not sure if that's going to be the issue. Also, looks a little different on the switch housing then I remember. Looks almost like you have an extra nut or spacer under the cable that is held in by the clamp?

Sean

No, just the upper 2. The lowers don't normally need replaced.

Sean

No, just the upper 2. The lowers don't normally need replaced.

Sean

Oh ok. They are barely visible also. Thanks Sean. Might be a possibility for my polished frame bike. Do you have pics of them on your website or FB?

Back