Throttle cable question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics are on Motion Pro and I can't remember if I have some on the site?

Sorry to resurrect this, but the following just happened:

Example.jpg - Click me. I get bigger!

The plastic threads on the housing for the throttle control box stripped/cracked/whatever. I was messing around with grips and such a lot yesterday but I'm unsure how I might have caused this... I did adjust the tension on the throttle/return because I moved the unit over an inch, but that's about it.

Point for now though... I can't really wind on the adjustment nut and have a throttle cable just hanging there.

Any thoughts on how to resolve? Hopefully without a new housing :/

Ok, I went out and took a pic of the sliders position.

These look metal instead of cheapo plastic. I wonder if I could retrofit?

The braided cables we sell replace the factory plastic ones. I have both the OEM and braided on hand most of the time.

Sean

Checked to confirm it's all part of the cable and not the housing itself. Going SS from Sean as a replacement. Already have some stocks on order from the local dealer, but I'm planning a lot of miles this year so I'm content to leave those in the 'ah crap' kit along with a spare headlight, taillight, etc.

Cables arrived but the motion pro end is just a touch too fat to fit easily.

Sean said to just twist it in and semi-thread it to fit and I'm about to attempt that, but just curious if anybody else came across this problem?

I don't want to mess up the threads in the housing...

To clarify - it's not the threading on the end of the cable housing that's the problem. It's the little knob at the end of the cable itself that won't fit into the hole. So I can't even get it pushed in enough to get to the threads. Tried turning it about and it's not really working it's way in... I can get it partially in by turning it slightly sideways and trying to thread it, but that leaves me with about a centimeter of threads to get through and no reasonable grip to get it through the rest of the way.

OK, that's a crimped ball so it may be slightly large. You can sand it a little bit if needed to get it in there. This is the first time I have heard anyone with this specific problem.

Sean

Ok I guess I'll do that. Just weird that it's having such an odd time of things... is the 06 housing oddly different? Or did I just get a short straw and have an end that's a bit too large.

It fits fine in the throttle push/pull wheel... just can't make it there.

I tell ya if it's not one thing it's another.

LOL, you may even be able to "squeeze" the ball a little oval too. It's soft lead most of the time and might even thread in if you could get in there to spin it in.

Sean

Checked to confirm it's all part of the cable and not the housing itself. Going SS from Sean as a replacement. Already have some stocks on order from the local dealer, but I'm planning a lot of miles this year so I'm content to leave those in the 'ah crap' kit along with a spare headlight, taillight, etc.
I had a cable mess up 2 years ago while I was at Thunder almost 700 miles from home. I was able to cobble it together to finish the week and ride home but the throttle was finicky which made for some less than eloquent riding at times!:bang head: Good thing for the push/pull action of the grip!!!!

Ok, sanded the edges down a bit and it fits. Yahoo!

Next thing... looking at the adjustment marks on the slide I can see the bits are out of spec. They were before I started but I wrote it off to the cable being hosed up.

All the service manual says is 'if out of adjustment, replace your cables', but I just did that. The throttle return appears within spec and snaps back like it should. I can hear everything opening and closing just fine...

Help? I think?

Attached photo, red marks are where the holders are located without any movement on the throttle (closed position), and the blue is where the adjustment marks are, which should be where the holders are resting between if I understand the manual correctly.

Attachments

• adjustment-marks.jpg
    adjustment-marks.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 49
If the throttle snaps back and without binding then that's the biggest part. Then verify that it opens up all the way and you're in business.

Sean

My cables are tight, and I feel like they always have been. Why do they cross at the neck and cross back at the carbs? (or I'm wrong on that. Tired typing is bad). could that be causing them to not snap back fully?

My cables are tight, and I feel like they always have been. Why do they cross at the neck and cross back at the carbs? (or I'm wrong on that. Tired typing is bad). could that be causing them to not snap back fully?

I prefer very-little free-play in my throttle and brakes. Some people like more, maybe because if they don't have a steady hand, they won't upset the bike as-much.

The throttle cables crossing could be a source of binding because of their poor positioning. That could be due to one or both of the cables had the helical steel housing crimped, and now there is a compression onto the control cable itself, because the cable housing is pinched and rubbing on the inside control cable. Don't overlook the direction they face emerging from the throttle switch pod on the handlebar.

I would look at the control cables freedom of movement. Unhook them at the nylon block, and check for freedom of movement individually. You may find the culprit(s). Yes, poor routing may introduce some friction into the system. Of course you have lubed the cables w/WD-40 or CRC, or similar?

In the factory manual pages 5/10 thru 5/12 describe the method of correctly adjusting the throttle. The diagram also shows the cables crossing both above and below the white nylon splice-box.

I saw that double cross in the diagram. Maybe I just need to take the top cables off and reinstall them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Is everyone feeding their cables through that metal loop attached to the headtube behind the headlight? I just put on new cable today and they're a mess.

Is everyone feeding their cables through that metal loop attached to the headtube behind the headlight? I just put on new cable today and they're a mess.

Not for about 9 yrs., Dave, when I first started playing around with different handlebars, and adding fairings. It's been so long - Didn't the OEM design have the throttle cables routed in front of the right hand side fork tube?
Anyway, I've had my cables routed in behind the tubes, for years now. Absolutely no problems, and looks more streamlined.
I'll soon be posting some photos of the throttle cable and hydraulic line routing on my bike, part of a thread involving installing taller handlebars.
I think the "bottom line" is that there is a lot of flexibility in the way the lines are configured - you don't have to stick to the stock arrangement.
Cheers!

You have adjustments on each of the cable sets which is what can get the lengths where it needs to be.

Sean

Back