1/4 Mile Chit chat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for reading that Shawn:eusa_dance:Yeah I do get it back in first before prestaging. I don't do a burnout and that is probley the majority of my problem. I haven't ever done a burnout on a bike so I have that issue if it is gonna spin the tire or grab and do a wheelie:biglaugh: When I get to the track this year I do plan on starting to do that. Any tips you have for doing the burnout on the bike would be helpful. Thank you one again for taking the time to read my post.

This should help ya a little bit :punk:

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/launching.htm

After you back the bike into the water,stay seated,put your feet down to hold and steady the bike.Put it in 2nd and dump the clutch at 4000rpm or so with the front brake on.After its smoking real good I like to let off the brake and then floor it on the way up to the line.That's my favorite part. Get it back into 1st before staging.

I had some trouble at first with this on my honda.I wasn't reving high enough before dumping the clutch.Then the bike was pushing the front tire instead of spinning the rear.

The bike with me on it weighs 760lbs:

You weigh like 145-150?

This is an awesome chance for us to see what a "skinny guy" like Pee-Wee Gleason can do on a late model max. most of us around here are far from light weights:biglaugh:

Your times; and 60' times; are already quite good....keep at it. I'm interested.

I weigh 235-240 and the best I've ever squezzed out of her is a 11.45 or so, and that's with exhaust and the bike weighing 585 (I've lightened it every way I know how while keeping it streetable) on the low fuel lite.

Rusty

You weigh like 145-150?

This is an awesome chance for us to see what a "skinny guy" like Pee-Wee Gleason can do on a late model max. most of us around here are far from light weights:biglaugh:

Your times; and 60' times; are already quite good....keep at it. I'm interested.

I weigh 235-240 and the best I've ever squezzed out of her is a 11.45 or so, and that's with exhaust and the bike weighing 585 (I've lightened it every way I know how while keeping it streetable) on the low fuel lite.

Rusty

Hi Rusty:thumbs up: Yes in the summer I weigh 150-155lbs. 2 jobs in the summer get the weight off of me, I'm at 180 right now...ahhhh...hahaha. Anyway I will be working on my launch and replacing the back tire again. I don't really like the one I put on the back, so I am thinking a avon venom. I will keep you posted on my progress, like I said i've raced cars but bikes are a new ball game to me. Thank you for writing and I'll talk with you soon.:eusa_dance:

After you back the bike into the water,stay seated,put your feet down to hold and steady the bike.Put it in 2nd and dump the clutch at 4000rpm or so with the front brake on.After its smoking real good I like to let off the brake and then floor it on the way up to the line.That's my favorite part. Get it back into 1st before staging.

I had some trouble at first with this on my honda.I wasn't reving high enough before dumping the clutch.Then the bike was pushing the front tire instead of spinning the rear.
Shawn thank you for your advice, that is the kind I really needed. People in the stands may get a good chuckle the first time I do it, but hey that's how you learn.:biglaugh:

10.98 @ 121 1.667 60'

99 Vmax
Stock Suspension with front end strapped down (though one fork seal is totally blown out)
Kerker header with one of our custom high flow Carbon Fiber mufflers
Muscle Jet Kit (dynoed 125 RWHP & 80 ft lbs RWTQ)
17 Rear Kosman with 170/60/17 rear Radial
Stock front 18 with 110/80/28 Radial
Muscle Seat (lower Center of Gravity)
Mini Windshield
Double D clutch Mod

Not too many mods all things considered.

The 10.11 / 10.28 sounds like it might be Phil with a 1570 Longrod engine and chain drive - highly modified bike

Phil - if it's you i'm going to try and beat that this year with my 1500 Naturally Aspired engine and Shaft Drive!

Sean Morley

This is what I am trying to match or beat with my setup. But I dont have a 17in rear wheel which is better hooking than the stock skinny 15 in rear.
Almost identical setup except for the exhaust can and carb setup.
I will run the 1/4 mile October 4th

This isnt the correct way to do a burn out at the dragstrip.
You dont want to back in the water and start spinning the tire. This will sling water up on your inner rear fender, than while you are staged guess whats happens? That water drips a few drops onto your tire!

Correct way. barely back into the edge of the water not a puddle.
First gear, Standing up with the front brake applied.
Barely spin the rear tire over, not fast just enough to rotate it 2-3 times guesstimate speed of tire spin 10-15 MPH.

Come up away from the water on dry.
Click it up in to second gear.
Stand up apply the front brake.
Sling the clutch as you whack the throttle hard.
After the rear tire is spinning (1 second sit down on the seat)
Watch your tach keeping it around 7500 RPMS (Tire Speed is about 70MPH)
Sit and allow the tire to smoke about 3-5 seconds.
Release the front brake allowing the bike to move forward.
Ease off the throttle this will cause the tire to hook and jerk you back so hang on,
Now your tire is heated up and clean.
Dry hops are optional which I dont do unless its a slider clutch and this is to test the electronics and 2 step ignition.
Good luck next time out.

with the 60' times you are posting I don't see where it will be a problem beating that time. Good luck! I have actually gotten just as good a 60' time with stock sized 150/90 and even the 170/80 metz tire.

Sean

with the 60' times you are posting I don't see where it will be a problem beating that time. Good luck! I have actually gotten just as good a 60' time with stock sized 150/90 and even the 170/80 metz tire.

Sean

I doubt if I even would have seen 11.0's with this shit!
I either have a clutch slipping or some valves out of adjustment. Looks I will pulling the valve covers this week to get her back in shape.. :bang head:
Coming out of the hole it just doesnt seem to have that quickness to it low on power just due to the MPH......... 60ft's off seven - eight hundreth and MPH down 6 mph.,. The track was there tonight great hooking just couldnt pull this pig out of the hole hard enough and this was 6500 to WOT slipping the clutch

:confused2:

7.232 ET
94.94 MPH

7.247 ET
95.14 MPH

7.270 ET
95.37 MPH

Well if you ever make it out of your backwoods onto any asphalt to a dragstrip post some of your numbers, until than keep spinning your tire on gravel Hot Rod.:rofl_200:

suzuki power again 85 1150 e,,,,,,,rated 101 hp,,,,,11.2 122mph ...all stock less than 10 runs under my belt

suzuki power again 85 1150 e,,,,,,,rated 101 hp,,,,,11.2 122mph ...all stock less than 10 runs under my belt

I fully agree with you here!! Suzuki is the best powered engine for motorcycles!! Yamahas SUCK!! Trust me if there was another VMAX made by a different manufacture and it was as close as todays sport bikes I would be all over it.
I learned this with my first Yamaha, a DT100 the transmission got stuck in 2nd gear! I swore I would never buy another Yamaha than I bought the Yamaha Chappy which was ok but it was different from other mopeds.

Suzuki is the best I admit for power.
Next is Kawi
Honda is decent but the reliabilty and smoothness beats the above just not in power.
Yamaha, well not really good at anything but making a whicked looking motorcycle.

Well if you ever make it out of your backwoods onto any asphalt to a dragstrip post some of your numbers, until than keep spinning your tire on gravel Hot Rod.:rofl_200:

When you have almost 700 acres you understand these long roads covered with gravel.

Now do explain what a Boooosa with holding the front brake has to do with this thread along with Coors Light Cans sitting next to another 3rd grade science project?
:th_favorites24:

I cant explain!!!

My 3'rd grade science project involved:

1 - Notching a motorcycle swingarm while boxing the void to strengthen the unit as a whole. Thus, explaining why idiots don't understand the strength of metal while claiming to be engineers.

This is simple metallurgy!

2 - The turbo on my desk you reference is a graduate class you have no chance in passing, even though the tech is almost 9 years old. :rofl_200:

The Coors Light can is for AR side reference.

------------------------------------------------------

Just yanking your chain Yankee...because it is tooooooo easy little one.

Thanks for your detailed explanation! That was awesome. Now I just need to know where you been the past 4 days.

A) Drove to the libary to look up all those big words you used.
B) You got tired of peddling your generator, or do you have a gas one now?
C) The ink washed off your hand with the password to your PC, but I highly doubt that due to the next Holiday isnt for atleast another 7 weeks and we all know how you Kentucky boys are.

Thanks for your detailed explanation! That was awesome. Now I just need to know where you been the past 4 days.

A) Drove to the libary to look up all those big words you used.
B) You got tired of peddling your generator, or do you have a gas one now?
C) The ink washed off your hand with the password to your PC, but I highly doubt that due to the next Holiday isnt for atleast another 7 weeks and we all know how you Kentucky boys are.

D: Bored as fuck listening to you :biglaugh:

Back