New Supporting Member

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kind of a long intro, but you'll see why I'm supporting at jump street. New to the VMax as well. I used to ride a Maxim many years ago, but I couldn't afford a VMax as a young Airman in the late 80's. I remember when the VMax came out, and reading all the reviews in magazines. I've always wanted one in the back of my brain, but life kept getting in the way.

Lucky for me I recently had a few saved on FB Marketplace I was watching. They just aren't selling for people I guess. I drove 4 hours to look at one that was price dropped after 2 months. A 1985 in super clean condition and 30K original miles. Seller had kids and didn't have time to ride the old girl. He kept it stored in a garage and recently put new tires on it. When I bought it I talked him down a couple hundred more. He called it a military discount, and threw in 4 helmets, a battery tender, and a magnetic tank bag.
1000009068.jpg

The bike was running, but had to keep it choked. When I got it home it started back firing on deceleration and had horrible throttle response and would stick open, then decel slowly. It also went thru an entire tank of fresh non-ethynol and Seafoam in about 60 miles. I was digging down into it and started reading the posts on this forum. I cleaned and gapped the plugs (2 cylinders were wet). Reconnected some vacuum lines that had fallen off, adjusted the trottle, and it started right up. It was now running off choke. I synced the carbs, ran another tank of fresh fuel and then another tank mixed with Seafoam (2 oz per gal). It fires up beautifully now, choke for like 30 sec to a minute, then it idles steady on the high side of 1000 rpm. The V-Boost works intermittently, so I will have to check connections on that. At least I can commute to work on it, and tinker in the afternoons.

Because of this forum, I have saved money I would've needed to spend on a mechanic. Therefore, you have my support membership already. I am a jet mechanic and was told by a mentor many years ago, "parts is parts". So I am still going to rebuild the carbs at some point, after I get some time on it in the beautiful FL sunshine. Or when I find the weakest link and have to tear into it. Definitely going to be a fun hobby, owning a classic V-Max.

Attachments

• 1000009295.jpg
    1000009295.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
They just aren't selling for people I guess.
They are very, very old bikes. Nobody will really work on them anymore because of that, you'll have to do it all yourself. I couldn't even get anybody to put tires on mine. I had to buy a jack and take the rims off and take them in to Cycle Gear and have them mount and balance them for me.

It takes a real commitment to own a Gen 1 Vmax today. We now live in a disposable society, so the vast majority aren't willing to make that commitment.

The good news to that is: Who's going to do a better job on your bike than you? Who's going to scrutinize everything as much as you will because it's your bike?

Nobody.

Congratulations, and kudos on a really good looking ride.

Welcome to a veteran and an A & P one at that. Where are you in the Sunshine State? I am just north of Homestead AFB. When my buddy and I attended Daytona Bike Week, we stayed in Cocoa Beach, home to Patrick AFB. Other FL AFB's: MacDill AFB is in Tampa, Tyndall AFB in Panama City and the largest in sq. miles, Eglin AFB in the Panhandle.

You have a good-looking bike there. The aluminum side covers with the stamped-in VMax is an easy way to identify an '85. The different wheels were used on '85-'86 models, another easy I.D. If you dig into the VBoost, measure the I.D. as it's different from later models. There was an issue w/the '85's, the exhaust needed to be made quieter, and the factory enlarged the VBoost in the '86+ to compensate for the slightly-more restrictive exhausts.

You might try re-soldering the VBoost circuit board connections to the plug-out as sometimes the connections break and then provide intermittent contact.

When you decide to get into the carburetors, I recommend an ultrasonic tank of sufficient size to hold the disassembled bodies. Take lots of pics as you do the work, to aid you in the reassembly process. The ultrasonic tank will usually clear things up in one soak, once in awhile you need to repeat if it didn't get all the passages clean. Use either OEM Yamaha parts, or K & L, which you can easily buy online. DO NOT BUY or use the 'all four carburetors in one' brass kits off the internet, They are a waste of $.

I use Ron Ayres Yamaha for mail-order parts https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/l/yam/50042681f8700209bc7885fb/1985-v-max-1200-vmx12n-parts and there are members on here who also stock and sell parts and services.

Sean Morley [email protected]

Captain Kyle [email protected]

dannymax who specializes in carburetors [email protected]

They also have new and used parts.

Some quick pics to help:

1711206148258.png

1711206196782.png

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/new-member.53441/#post-536163 a good thread

1711206424353.png

1711206454510.png

Note the below is for the 1985-'89 models in the USA. This is a good one to print out and to slip into a plastic sleeve for consultation when you're chasing renegade electrons in the wire harness and what plugs into it. It's a good one to enlarge for ease of reading.
1711206495012.png

This should get you started.

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for becoming a Supporting Member. I really appreciate it.

Back