18" Wheel Choices

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we can get 50 guys they will make me a run of them. They do still have the front available. It's the rear we can't get.

Sean

I wish the Carrz were still available. Should have bought black ones when I had the chance.

I am glad I did......

vmaxpainted022.jpg

vmaxpainted021.jpg

They make all the difference in the world. Feels like an entirely differant bike. :punk:

Find me 49 more firm orders. They are discontinued (for the rear) but said if I wanted to order 50 sets they would consider making them for me.

Sean

50 seems ridiculous. if they said say 10-15 i bet you could.

I wish the Carrz were still available. Should have bought black ones when I had the chance.

What did they look like I might be willing. I want to do light 18 inch wheel but nothing RC appeals to me; can't find the weight on them anyway. Was thinking about having Morley put in a chain drive when he builds me a 1300 so I could run some BST wheels. Or was that dreaming? I get the two confused.

Oh, you need to buy the 1539 Chaindrive block we are going to be building. It's not spoken for yet so you'd be in for a deal!

Sean

What did they look like I might be willing. I want to do light 18 inch wheel but nothing RC appeals to me; can't find the weight on them anyway. Was thinking about having Morley put in a chain drive when he builds me a 1300 so I could run some BST wheels. Or was that dreaming? I get the two confused.

RC only shows some of their styles listed for the VMAX. I think they can make just about any of their styles for the VMAX, check with Sean. The style I ordered was not listed on their website, as a VMAX style. They are heavy, I didn't weigh them, but a lot of the weight is on the center hubs, not the outer rims.

I weighed the 17x5.5" bent one UFO sold me and it was (I'm going from memory) 3-5 pounds heavier than stock. Of course he told me it weighed less on the phone, but that's beside the point.

They're noticeably heavier than stock. Kosman would be my choice. Maybe Garrett weighed his??

I weighed the 17x5.5" bent one UFO sold me and it was (I'm going from memory) 3-5 pounds heavier than stock. Of course he told me it weighed less on the phone, but that's beside the point.

They're noticeably heavier than stock. Kosman would be my choice. Maybe Garrett weighed his??

The radial tires that replace the stock bias ply are lighter and make up some of the total weight difference. The radial Metzlers I went with were 5 pounds lighter for the rear tire and 3 pounds lighter for the front. I didn't weigh them, but got the weights info off the Metzler site. The other factor to consider is where the weight is located. The RC hubs are big and heavier than stock. A lot of the extra weight is in the hub. The hubs have a lot less gyroscopic effect than the tire and rim portion of the wheel. Overall their a big improvement over stock, because of the switch to radial tires.

The type of riding also has to be considered. For best cornering of twisties, a light weight 17" wheel is going to be best, smaller diameter and lower gyroscopic effect. For highway riding a heavier wheel is actually going to be more stable. The gyroscopic effect actually makes the wheel more resistant to a change of direction. This resistance helps the bike to stay on a straight line. A good in between is a lightweight 18" wheel, such as the Carr.

Of course I'm not taking style and looks into consideration.

nah i didn't weigh mine but can next time its off the bike. sorry not dropping a 190 and the rear diff for a quick measurement!

A 1539cc chain drive huh?

Ya sure what would that day dream end up costing? my posiable future children's inheridance? =)

My RC's are heavier than stock, I think they are the demons or something like that. I wieghed them the first time.

With Radial tires and the RC wheels together the weight is within a lb or 2 of stock assembly and the bias tires.

There are some RC designs that are lighter than others simply because they have less meat in them, they had a really clean 5 spoke wheel I would have liked to have had but it wasn't available for Vmax or so I was told. But in general they are a heavy wheel.

I'd do Carrozerria (sp?) if I had it to do over again.
Don't do Lightcons, I've heard of a few of them blowing the center drive hub apart some how? Just hear say tho'

The radial tires that replace the stock bias ply are lighter and make up some of the total weight difference. The radial Metzlers I went with were 5 pounds lighter for the rear tire and 3 pounds lighter for the front. I didn't weigh them, but got the weights info off the Metzler site. The other factor to consider is where the weight is located. The RC hubs are big and heavier than stock. A lot of the extra weight is in the hub. The hubs have a lot less gyroscopic effect than the tire and rim portion of the wheel. Overall their a big improvement over stock, because of the switch to radial tires.

The type of riding also has to be considered. For best cornering of twisties, a light weight 17" wheel is going to be best, smaller diameter and lower gyroscopic effect. For highway riding a heavier wheel is actually going to be more stable. The gyroscopic effect actually makes the wheel more resistant to a change of direction. This resistance helps the bike to stay on a straight line. A good in between is a lightweight 18" wheel, such as the Carr.

Of course I'm not taking style and looks into consideration.

I weighed mine with tires mounted to both...

I run Carr's now and there's a WORLD of difference IMO.

Latest posts

Back