1985 great condition, have question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have an 85 and had to replace second gear. It only cost me about 600, but there is a lot of labor involved. Keep your clutch system well maintained. If not your trans will suffer on any year bike.

Back when I was bike shopping I looked at a bunch of early Vmax, primarily 85s. I ended up giving up on these earlier ones because they all had bad second gears. I checked with a few dealerships and bike shops and they said this was a very common problem back then. Unfortunately, its an expensive fix....

Nah... The exhaust wasn't DOT legal for '85. In '86 it was but they grew the size of the Vboost manifolds a couple millimeters to compensate!

The '85 DID have a 2nd gear issue though.

I bought an 85 off my buddy for $2800 also. I was in multiple boxes when he got it with a blown up tranny. He replaced the entire gearset with a used 2000 gearset. She runs sweet now and pulls awesome for a bike with 46k on it.

My next set of mods are going to be R1/R6 calipers, caliper adapters, fork brace, engine brace, solid engine mounts, Racetech 1.0kg fork springs, Racetech emulators, Works steel tracker rear shocks, and eventually some fancy 18" wheels.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Vmax 006.jpg
    Vmax 006.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 27
I bought an 85 off my buddy for $2800 also. I was in multiple boxes when he got it with a blown up tranny. He replaced the entire gearset with a used 2000 gearset. She runs sweet now and pulls awesome for a bike with 46k on it.

My next set of mods are going to be R1/R6 calipers, caliper adapters, fork brace, engine brace, solid engine mounts, Racetech 1.0kg fork springs, Racetech emulators, Works steel tracker rear shocks, and eventually some fancy 18" wheels.

attachment.php

Very nice job taking it from boxes to what we see in the pics - bike looks good and it sounds like you got the "mod bug" like alot of us here - welcome aboard!

:cheers: Mike

Back