20-50 oil??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHVmaxpower

Reaction score
I am wondering what most of you run for oil? My buddy swears by 20-50 in his vstar 1100 . I tried it over the weekend now seems my motor is louder than before? Should I run a 10 w -40? :ummm: so many new oils out there these days grrrr. Thanks guys for any info suggestions ..

there are tons of threads here about oil.......one of the most popular oils is shell rotella 15w40...i use it myself...20w50 is too heavy.

read up on the allready existing oil threads......lotsa great info.

as a rule 20w50 oil is for air cooled v -twin bikes.....

Last edited:
I should have taken Seans advice but listen to a buddy of years of mine instead , he runs that stuff in everything. Guess I'll be doing another oil change ...

I used to run 20w50 in mine and there really isn't any reason you can't. Just wait a little longer for it to warm up before playing.

there are tons of threads here about oil.......one of the most popular oils is shell rotella 15w40...i use it myself...20w50 is too heavy.

read up on the allready existing oil threads......lotsa great info.

as a rule 20w50 oil is for air cooled v -twin bikes.....

If i recall correctly rotella 15W40 is synthetic right? if so you should not use it... 20W50 is more used in higher temps like south US or on higher mileage bikes because its a thicker oil... I have 2 vmaxes and i use 10W40 in one and 20W50 in the other... Castrol or Valvoline...

If i recall correctly rotella 15W40 is synthetic right? if so you should not use it... 20W50 is more used in higher temps like south US or on higher mileage bikes because its a thicker oil... I have 2 vmaxes and i use 10W40 in one and 20W50 in the other... Castrol or Valvoline...

15-40 is dino

5-40 in syth

OK good it is a high mileage bike 46000 to be exact. I was worried may do worse for bike now I'm at eaz knowing it won't. I guess everyone runs all different oils. Oh and it is Castrol.

Castrol 20W50 is pretty much all we ran forever here in Texas. It is a great oil and is fine for hot weather areas. I have used Mobil 1 15W50 also with no problems even though it is synthetic. It doesn't have the friction modifiers in it.

Yamaha 4R oil is what I would use if it were less expensive. Just my 2 cents... :biglaugh:

i've heard not great things about castrol bike oil. but grain of salt. i used bobstheoilguy a lot.

i found a cheap place for yamalube. gallon jug at rocky mt sports and order enough to get free shipping $89. its like $17 a gallon.

Castrol 20W50 is pretty much all we ran forever here in Texas. It is a great oil and is fine for hot weather areas. I have used Mobil 1 15W50 also with no problems even though it is synthetic. It doesn't have the friction modifiers in it.

Yamaha 4R oil is what I would use if it were less expensive. Just my 2
cents... :biglaugh:

+1
I've used Mobil 1 15W50 since break-in. Just north of 50000 miles with no problems

I like the Rotella 10/40 in the Max and the Castrol 20/50 in my inline.....but its always hot down here so doesn't really matter.

I've tried Rotella T 15-40, Maximum 20-50, Mobile 4T and Amsoil 10-40...Amsoil, while rediculously expensive, gives me the best transmission performance, even when really hot, in my bike. From what I've read, many get different results from the same oil...they are all great...just find what works best for you & what you're willing to pay for...closing the can of worms...:p

I've tried Rotella T 15-40, Maximum 20-50, Mobile 4T and Amsoil 10-40...Amsoil, while rediculously expensive, gives me the best transmission performance, even when really hot, in my bike. From what I've read, many get different results from the same oil...they are all great...just find what works best for you & what you're willing to pay for...closing the can of worms...:p

I just put some rotella 15-40 in my bike .It took almost a gallon .It seems to work ok and the bike shifts with no problems and nuetral is easy to find.Got it walmart and not too pricey.

I removed the 20-50 & went with the rotella 15-40 seeing I was doing the oring fix . Seems to shift smoother we shall see. Many guys here are running it .

Castrol 20/50 for years in every bike I've owned, Not bike oil but the regular car oil.
Here lately been drifting towards the Rotella after hearing it has higher zinc since its not made for cars with catalytic converters.

Both work fine for me, it's hot as fuck here in Houston most the time. I drank two gatorades and 8 waters today working outside and still never peed (TMI???)

I've never had one make less noise than the other. This new engine is just as noisy as the old one with 42,000 miles on it.

I still think the best oil is clean oil.

And nearly always run the Mobil M-110 filters when I can find them. It's a direct fit for the bike. Fran tough gard if I can't find the Mobil filter.

I did my break in oil change this weekend and was freaking out cause the oil was pitch black after a mere 75 miles.

Then I realized it was the assembly lube.......doh!

Been using the rotella 15-40 sense I got the bike this summer. I have an oil pressure gauge and find the oil seems to "break down" very quickly for me. Usually within 1000 miles the gauge starts sitting lower and lower at speed. Just did the o-ring fix (popped and split) and although the pressure is better than before the fix, it drops steadily as the miles rack up. Fresh oil (rotella 15-40) and the pressure is back where I like it for a little while.
Gonna change it again this week and try the rotella 5-40 (supposedly "synthetic") and see how well it holds up.
If I am not happy with it, I will keep trying different oils until I find one that holds a good steady pressure through at least 3000 miles.

I ran plain castrol 20-50 in my 99 model. It had 98,000 miles when I sold it & was still running like a top. I have tried several others & am currently running the rotella 15-40 & dont see much diffrence.

Back