2nd gear part numbers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t3ttp

Reaction score
Replaced 2nd gear with a used ebay part and now 2nd gear is there but slipping. I did not have second gear at all before changing it. 2nd gear is slipping under load (4-5k). I want to change it with new parts but I will need the part numbers. I cannot afford to undercut the gears. After this repair, I will ride second gingerly. What are the part numbers for the second gear change (fork, 2nd gear, and dog). I will do it right this time. I was trying to save a few bucks but now it will cost me a load of time and more money.:bang head:

To answer your question:

GEAR, 2ND WHEEL - 1FK-17221-01-00

GEAR, 2ND/3RD PINION - 1FK-17121-01-00

You will also need the following gaskets:

GASKET, CRANKCASE COVER 3 - 3JP-15462-01-00

GASKET, CRANKCASE COVER 2 - 3JP-15461-01-00

GASKET, CRANKCASE COVER 1 - 3JP-15451-01-00

GASKET, WATER PUMP - 3JP-12449-02-00

I would also replace the following although others may say they are not strictly necesary:

WATER PUMP & SUMP DRAIN BOLTS O RINGS - 214-11198-01-00

WATER PUMP TO T.STAT HOUSING O-RINGS - 93210-27778-00

EXHAUST HEADER GASKET - 3GD-14613-00-00

You will also need Yamabond or similar to re-seal the crankcases + Clutch holding tool, flywheel extractor and Torx bits.

If the coolant is still serviciable < 2 years old then drain into a clean container and re-use. Replace the oil (& filter?).

I'm sure others will chip in with what I have forgotten.

Did you replace the shifting fork? The fork keeps the gear aligned with the other gears.

+1 Barry. If he means jumping out of gear. Slipping is a clutch issue. I think under the guidance of Sean is best for this. If I have this problem ever,I'm thinking new gear too, with close fork inspection. I don't powershift into 2nd often. But, I want to whack the throttle in 2nd when the feeling comes. Sorry you had to split the case and not fix the issue. I hope it's the clutch now because it's a lot cheaper and easier than going back into the cases.
Steve-o

Replaced 2nd gear with a used ebay part and now 2nd gear is there but slipping. I did not have second gear at all before changing it. 2nd gear is slipping under load (4-5k). I want to change it with new parts but I will need the part numbers. I cannot afford to undercut the gears. After this repair, I will ride second gingerly. What are the part numbers for the second gear change (fork, 2nd gear, and dog). I will do it right this time. I was trying to save a few bucks but now it will cost me a load of time and more money.:bang head:

Please clarify, slipping, or jumping out of gear when on the throttle. Was there grinding before? Now? Got any pics?
Steve-o

If it's popping out of gear under load then it's not the clutch. It's the gear dogs. So, if you replaced 2nd gear only then that's part of the problem. You also need to swap out 5th gear that the dogs engage into. Pretty much you are wasting a lot of time and effort farting around with used parts. We could do a partial undercut and not a full undercut to save you some money but again you likely have other gears with damage that aren't showing yet.

Sean

My 2 cents, listen to Sean and have a qualified mechanic look over your parts before you put the motor back together again. I am a fairly competant shade tree mechanic:rofl_200:but when i looked at the damaged tranny parts from my v65 i honestly could not see anything wrong with them:ummm:. The service manager had to point out the damage.

Latest posts

Back