85 Max - post purchase progress

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a spin on oil filter adapter from Cycle One Off I stripped the bolt trying to take it off had a bolt welded over top of it to get it off and got rid of the whole old filter Assembly

Well, last night I mustered up the motivation to attack the front valve cover gasket. What a job. There really isn't an easy way to do it. You have to remove a lot just to get to it and the cover seems to be impossibly large when you try to wiggle it between the engine and the frame.

I removed both air scoops; the electrical components on the left side; had to disconnect all coolant hoses on the right hand side; coolant temperature electrics; removed radiator and let hang; coolant pipe near valve cover spark plug area; v-boost servo motor bracket bolts (2 on each side near the coils); v-boost cable (loosened a bracket which allowed me to move the cable; rubber shroud; etc.

Once all of that is removed, you can get to the valve cover bolts. Removed those. Found that the valve cover is a super tight fit between the frame and front of the engine. Coaxed the valve cover out the right hand side of the bike.

Polished up the valve cover a bit before reinstalling. Reinstalling was a bear. Gasket came out of the valve cover gasket track in places. Was really worried. Coaxed the cover/gasket down flush through the right hand side by somehow getting it around the coolant pipe flange near the spark plug. I can't say enough about the lack of space to work with... Inspected the gasket all the way around the valve cover to see if it slipped out of its track. Looks good so far but who knows.

Changing the valve cover gasket on the XS11 is much, much easier and has ample space. This was not a fun job and I haven't even had time to test for leaks, as I finished at 1:30am this morning.

Also changed spark plugs to factory recommended plugs.

Stripped more crappy paint, this time from the tach/temp guage cover. Pretty sweet that I could use stripper on it.

Waiting for a replacement fork brace, since the PO cracked mine.

Have both fenders and faux tank primered and sanded. Going to shoot another light coat of primer on each, lightly sand, and then will paint.

Have some rubber bits on the way for the side covers and faux tank.

Ordered a chrome license plate frame.

Waiting for some kind of deal on front brake rotors.

Still have some kind of hydraulic leak. I have a new slave cylinder, slave cylinder pipe, etc. I think the new slave is not mating to the crankcase or something..... :-(

are you taking pics throughout this awesome rebuild? i bought an 07 but man i wish i had the time to do what u r doing...sweet:punk:

are you taking pics throughout this awesome rebuild? i bought an 07 but man i wish i had the time to do what u r doing...sweet:punk:

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't really have the time but I take time from other important things and go into the garage instead.... :rofl_200:

For me, bringing a bike back to life, aside from robbing me of a lot of cash, contributes to my sanity. Nothin' like quiet time in the garage. Plus, after I go through a bike, I gain a lot of satisfaction, the bike trusts me, and I can trust the bike. Right? Anyone else notice this?

No, seriously, it is a chore. I don't have a lot of pics because my hands are always mucked up in oil, grease, or some kind of dust. I will have some before and after pics, though.

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't really have the time but I take time from other important things and go into the garage instead.... :rofl_200:

For me, bringing a bike back to life, aside from robbing me of a lot of cash, contributes to my sanity. Nothin' like quiet time in the garage. Plus, after I go through a bike, I gain a lot of satisfaction, the bike trusts me, and I can trust the bike. Right? Anyone else notice this?

No, seriously, it is a chore. I don't have a lot of pics because my hands are always mucked up in oil, grease, or some kind of dust. I will have some before and after pics, though.

I agree... I do all my own work to my bikes so I KNOW it's done right! Torqued to the right settings and all! I used to work on old bikes but noticed that when done they were still old bikes with issues so I have since saved my pennies and bought new. I still respect someone for doing what you do though.

Chris

I agree 100% - nothing more satisfying then working/modding your own bike. Experience has shown me that nobody (especially a dealer) can do a good job on my bike - and you also know that it's done right.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.

Mike

Color coated the tank and fenders. Came out pretty decent. Got 1 run, probably because I went a tad heavy on the 1st coat. I plan to wet sand the base coat anyway prior to clear coating.

Also installed the sissy bar for the wife.

The bike is looking very, very nice, compared to how it used to look. Need replacement front rotors. Waiting on tank badges. Need to figure out a way to get the Yamaha name on the back fender..... also will probably paint the inset Yamaha letters on the air scoops and side panels.

Wish I had the base coat sanded and clear coated so I could ride the dang bike!

Wet sanded the tank and fenders. Applied 3 coats of urethane enamel clear coat. They look really nice. I got a few spots where something happened, though, perhaps moisture under the clear coat or some kind of junk. Otherwise it turned out well. The paint I am using is this: http://www.paintforcars.com/kitu_jetblack.html . Also using one of their clear coat products. This paint is really good paint for the price. It looks good, flows out very well, dries quick, and is quite durable.

Just received tank badges from KJShover (thanks KJ) but haven't put them on yet. I need to sand and apply some final clear. Also have a long way to go cosmetically but this is where I am at right now:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/vbgarage.p...vmaxforum.net/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=563

This is what the bike looked like to start with:
http://singlebirds.com/ben/85vmx12old.jpg

Notice the bent front forks, flat black paint on everything, burnt rear brake rotor, bent control levers, no mirrors, rusty, leaky, and rashed exhaust, no sissy bar, etc.

Still want an OEM bug screen. Will probably hand paint the recessed side panel and air scoop logos. Need to polish the wheels. Want to clean up and work on engine/engine cover paint. New tires as soon as I wear these ones down some more.

Installed new headlight adjuster nuts, springs, and screws. Adjusted headlight.

Installed OEM front brake rotors to replace the warped/bent ones that were on the bike. Will test later today.

Stripped old black paint from front forks. Stripped paint off of the inside of the air scoops. Repainted air scoop screens and plastic (PO had painted it orange... ugghghghh).

Solved problems where bike was cutting out by replacing ignition coils #1 and #3 with a spare set from a 2001.

Installed 2004 3-piece seat covers.

Went from 152.5 mains in all 4 carbs to 147.5 mains in all 4 carbs.

Installed new rubber jet block caps in all 4 carbs.

Hi Shuriken..!

Great post....seems that your Max?s PO was in Argentina playing around with another max...! jaja

I also understand what kind of therapy got from putting your own hands in the bike. Mine came in time to me...

Really good job...I?ll subscribe to your post and try to follow you..! :biglaugh:

Cheers

Sebastian

Latest posts

Back