98 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael C

Reaction score
Hello all, my first post...I'm hoping someone can offer some guidance.
I have a 98 gen one that's been nothing but great. Bought it with 7k miles and it's been reliable as hell. It has 22k now.
Anyway, about a year ago it started giving me intermit starting issues. It would buzz at the solenoid when I hit the start button. If I pushed it a few times the starter would engage. I just lived with it (lazy, broke). It got worse so I replaced the solenoid and it appeared to be fine. Then it started to do it again. Thinking it was a defective solenoid (and not knowing a lot) I replaced it twice. THEN a couple days ago it did it AGAIN, but it then wouldn't even buzz, just kill the headlight and illuminate the fuel/oil light. The V-Boost/fuel pump cycles and the battery is good. If I bridge the solenoid it fires right up. Also, as it was going out for the last time it did something really weird...I turned the key OFF and the starter ENGAGED!! It turned a few times and stopped.
I'm a "shade tree" mechanic and do everything myself. I take really good care of her. This has me stumped. I read on here that it could be the starter RELAY??
Any advice/direction would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

If you look on here in the search function, there are threads about reconditioning the 'pods': the handlebar pods for L & R electrical functions. Also for the ignition switch. I think you should look for those and use them to overhaul/clean your components. Ninjaneer is the member who wrote those.

If you look on here in the search function, there are threads about reconditioning the 'pods': the handlebar pods for L & R electrical functions. Also for the ignition switch. I think you should look for those and use them to overhaul/clean your components. Ninjaneer is the member who wrote those.
I'll check that out, thanks.🙏

Hello all, my first post...I'm hoping someone can offer some guidance.
I have a 98 gen one that's been nothing but great. Bought it with 7k miles and it's been reliable as hell. It has 22k now.
Anyway, about a year ago it started giving me intermit starting issues. It would buzz at the solenoid when I hit the start button. If I pushed it a few times the starter would engage. I just lived with it (lazy, broke). It got worse so I replaced the solenoid and it appeared to be fine. Then it started to do it again. Thinking it was a defective solenoid (and not knowing a lot) I replaced it twice. THEN a couple days ago it did it AGAIN, but it then wouldn't even buzz, just kill the headlight and illuminate the fuel/oil light. The V-Boost/fuel pump cycles and the battery is good. If I bridge the solenoid it fires right up. Also, as it was going out for the last time it did something really weird...I turned the key OFF and the starter ENGAGED!! It turned a few times and stopped.
I'm a "shade tree" mechanic and do everything myself. I take really good care of her. This has me stumped. I read on here that it could be the starter RELAY??
Any advice/direction would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20231009_150010061_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231009_150010061_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Can it be your red wire crimp connection? If these are corroded it can give start problems.
I soldered mine to prevent loading and starting issues.

Back