A Glimpse into the Mystery of SkullDuggery, My 89 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I've got so much of me into this bike, it's probably got more of my DNA on and in it than I have left.... Today was Dyno Day. First time since I bought the Bitch.:rofl_200: No stage 7 kit, Just Jetted, Stock Shimmed Needles and running a Stock Air Box. Kerker 4-1 with Mark's 12" Can, 2"ID. Best Horsepower: 126.02,,,, Best Torque: 83.63... The Air / Fuel is a bit rich but pretty even all the way up. I'm thinking of shimming the Y....? to lean things out. Need Sean's Expert thoughts on that... My Friend Scott (A.K.A. Bull) did the runs at Cycle-Rama Inc in St. Petersburg, Fl.... 4th Gear for all 3 runs. He said we may have gotten slightly higher readings if we'd done 5th gear runs.... He thinks 130 HP is well within reach after leaning the Air / Fuel Ratio.

Thoughts, Input, Questions??? Help....:confused2:

I'm putting some updated "Mod Pictures" up in another Thread

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spKcnE_mclU

Charts:

Attachments

• SkullDuggery High HP Dyno.jpg
    SkullDuggery High HP Dyno.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 146
  • SkullDuggery High Torque Dyno.jpg
    SkullDuggery High Torque Dyno.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 124
  • SkullDuggery Dyno.jpg
    SkullDuggery Dyno.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 121
WOW ! My advice would be leave it alone, those are great munbers for a stock motored bike!( but Im a seat guy, not a motor guy)

I'd question the validity of the a'f readings on that machine. It's far too flat.

The highest stock internal engine I have seen was 133 rwhp and many of them get mid/high 120's so it's not out of the ordinary but not all that often for a header only. The biggest gain is the header with increased gains with the jet kit.

Sean

Glad you have better luck on the dyno that I recently did, Dave! Congratulations, that must take the edge-off your health concerns for a bit, knowing that you've got a respectable h.p. output @ the rear wheel, and can go-play on days when you feel ready to ride, and to put your other concerns behind you for awhile.

What model dyno is it?

I haven't seen all the pics of the bodywork, but I did see the tailpiece under-construction & it looked good to me.

I'd question the validity of the a'f readings on that machine. It's far too flat.

The highest stock internal engine I have seen was 133 rwhp and many of them get mid/high 120's so it's not out of the ordinary but not all that often for a header only. The biggest gain is the header with increased gains with the jet kit.

Sean

the scale is huge too! most iv'e seen go like 9/10-16/17 not 0-20 makes it pretty damn tough to read.

dave, u thought there was engine work to this bike right?

If you reference Guru's Daytona horsepower shootout numbers, Dave is set to take the title from Manny S for most HP stock motor Max. And to think this bike has a for sale sign on it. That would be my new Crack pipe.
Numbers to be proud of Dave. Almost anxious for the max tuning to commence

Wow Dave that bike really does shift! The A/F does really look incredibly flat, so I most definitely wouldn't touch anything. Just keep it in sync and enjoy. Nothing wrong with being a little rich, and as Sean said can you really trust those A/F numbers?

Thank You all for the thoughts and comments. I thought the Air Fuel was awful flat line. Scott did say it was a tweak lean at idle. He said it was near 15:1. So there was some variation with that considered. He had just finished up dyno tuning a Harley Dresser than ended up 150 HP, 135 Torque. Those numbers really blew me away.

I'm gonna borrow a friends compression gauge to double check my Harbor Freight unit. I did come up with 220-230 when I did a compression check. Need verification on that one way or another. No big cams here, power curves follow Strafer's, just higher.. Tranny still shifts like butter so as we thought, likely undercut gears atleast. I'll be guessing or theorizing at what else has been done. Motor runs too good to disassemble it and find out. Wish I could find the P PO to ask the important questions. I think he did some work but never got it tuned right like I may have, so he sold it...

Fire-medic: It's a DynoJet Dyno, model ????????? I do know Cycle-Rama has a reputation for putting very fast bikes on the street. The owner, Wes used to race Vmax's and has a huge reputation around here...

Speaking of beastly Baggers, I just dragged a guy on one and was astounded when he kept up, wheel for wheel, all the way to 100. Definitely NOT a stock Hardly.

My 1200 Sportster's no slouch. It's got big leather bags and a windshield. It isn't competition for a Vmax though. I'd need to bump it up to 1400 CC's, then it might be. Some of the big Twin Harley's have a lot of cubic inches now...

So, somebody in the know. Where do I go now if I want simple bolt on Horsepower for SkullDuggery???. :confused2: How far can it go without breaking the motor open for more cubic inches.. Without Nitrous, a Turbo or a Super Charger. Sean mentioned mid 130's for HP. Is that about all that's possible??:ummm:

Quite awesome. Thanks for posting that up. The bike looks good and sounds even better!

One question - how hard is it (or isn't it) on the motor to cut the throttle so abruptly at max rpm?

Congrats on the high hp & tq #'s.

Quite awesome. Thanks for posting that up. The bike looks good and sounds even better!

One question - how hard is it (or isn't it) on the motor to cut the throttle so abruptly at max rpm?

Congrats on the high hp & tq #'s.

Thanks for the compliments. The sound is Awesome isn't it. From the 12" Mark's Can with aftermarket fiberglass packing....

I'm not sure there's any effect from the instant whacking of the throttle at high RPM???:ummm: I was wondering how many actual RPM the motor saw during the run ups???? I've been into the lower end of this engine and knew the oil system wouldn't let it down. Looking at the charts, Looks like it ran above 9500 RPM but no sweat. Sure ran great on the way home but part of that had to be me thinking about the HP & TQ #'s...:rofl_200:

Dave

Cool vid!!! Just one question, how did he stop the rear wheel if his right foot never left th platform? Does the computer control the drum? If that's the case what else can the computer do to make things "appear " enhanced? When I was at the dyno, the operator had to apply foot brake with right foot, hmmm?

the dyno i've been on the operator could control the drum. also set it to simulate cruising.

I would guess anyone w/150 RWHP for a normally-aspirated HD probably spent close to $10K to have it that way. Then there are power-adders:

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...50hp-129tq-fuel-moto-bagger-project-bike.html

As a few of you know I have been working on a bit of a project bike over the last couple months. Fuel Moto has purchased quite a few R&D bikes over the years both Harley and metric, and I have "personalized" several of them as we worked with them and I also built a few of the Sportbikes. My 271 Hp turbo GSXR 1000 was in Cycle World magazine a couple years back, and we also made over 200 Hp with our latest Hayabusa with just bolt ons and tuning. Anyway, since we purchased the white/turqoise Road King that we used for much of our 2009 R&D, product photos, etc I really took a liking to this bike from the very beginning and now that we have several other R&D bikes I wanted to add some mods that make this Road King really perform. I love the new frame design and other updates and know this bike really has potential. I also wanted to do something a bit different. Forced induction is something that I have worked with in turbo and supercharged automotive applications for quite a few years, and have also tuned many turbo and supercharged bikes on our dyno. Knowing the large gains to be had I decided to do a Procharger for forced induction, and chose to do so as the blower unit is self contained and very reliable, they sell a complete kit (well almost) eliminating the need for self fabrication, and most of all this blower is capable of a HUGE amount of boost. I am going to get this thread started with some basic information and will go much further into detail as I add to it, consider this bike a work in progress. The bike will have engine as well as chassis mods, not really sure what else I guess I will see where things go. For reference this is a 2009 Harley Road King Classic. It has Wood TW6-6 cams and the rest of the motor is completely stock and has never been apart. For exhaust it has the Jackpot 2/1/2 stainless head pipe with Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers. I added the Intercooled Procharger which makes 11 lbs of boost with a very good amount of tuning time it is making 150Hp/129Tq on pump fuel with both conservative fuel mixure and ignition timing. With 100 octane, leaner mixture and more agressive WOT timing it should make closer to 160Hp/135Tq. I could also easily reach higher numbers if I reved the motor higher because unlike a naturally aspirated motor this boosted motor makes power right to the limiter and wants to keep going. I am currently limiting the overall output as at 150Hp I am certainly near (or beyond) the threshold of many of the stock parts, primarily the crankshaft and valvetrain components so I choose to let it live for a while with these stock parts and only rev it to 6200 RPM.

This bike was completely tuned start to finish with the Dynojet Power Commander V and runs absolutely perfect. Tuning a setup like this is no small task considering the 69 lb hr injectors are more than double the size of the stock injectors, not to mention the 11 lbs of boost. The PC-V utilites were very handy and truly bring out the flexibilty of the product. I also utilized the Auto Tune module that was on the bike for the past year by implementing the AFR's that I tuned the map to which will maintain my tune in all conditions. The fuel trims I have logged so far are within 5-7% of the base map which is extremely accurate. I will elaborate more on the tuning end of things as we progress as well.

End of copy.

My favorite blown bike from last century is Mark Moisan's FL creation GSXR1100 he took to Sport Rider's desert tuner shoot out where he turned a top end of 229 mph at which point the carbs blew-off the intake manifolds! He won the Daytona horsepower shoot out several times. His wife could ride the bike no problem w/the boost turned-down. She often did to bike night at Fuddrucker's restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale.

Sure the Hyabusas make big numbers now, but he had a real backyard creation that spanked everyone else early-on.

Back