Help Me Obewan's. Carb Pros, Help Needed.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
After the Dyno Run I did a few months back, I've just been having fun with my 89. Doing lots of Rolling Burnouts and havin a blast. No one thought the Air Fuel ratios that printed were believable and the bike runs absolutely great. A/F 11,79, 11.80, 11.90. Well, I pulled the plugs after a trip mainly on the Interstate and here's what I found.. Looks really rich to me. One plug looks wet but it's the angle. It's really just like the others...See Below

I have 147.5's for mains and the stock needles are shimmed atleast 0.020 but less thaN 0.30. What are the thoughts? Take the shims out or drop the main jet size more??? Shim the Air Box Y????????

147.5 to me is small to start with. Kerker 4-1 with a 12" Mark's Can, 4-1. God only knows about the PPO's work inside the motor. It's still a mystery..

Talked with Kyle and have his thoughts on the subject, I have some thoughts too. Just want to see what other ideas we can come up with.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• SkullDuggery's Plugs 6 2012.jpg
    SkullDuggery's Plugs 6 2012.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 31
Dave, my philoshy is to do simple stuff first. Check for strong spark. Clean air filter. Then, take shims out next and re-evaluate.

I'm not the one to answer this. But... seeing as how it's an "unknown" bike, I'm wondering if it has had air correctors fitted? Maybe the PO put the STD air box back on to sell it?

Good Spark, Clean K&N Filter. Shims can come out but would that take my A/F Ratio up from basically 12 to 14????:ummm:

Original carbs were FU'd Stage 7. I put them back to modified stock but then bought a better set of stock carbs from Kyle.
I set the new carbs up using info about my type set up from here on the forum. Something's not quite on the money though.....

2nd plug looks quite darker than other 3. (not the shine from pic). Are your carbs all set up the same?

Carbs are Spot on at 3,000 rpm, triple gauge checked.... From there, there'll always be slight variations between them... No multiple carb/cylinder set up is perfectly matched throughout the rev range. Especially as they get older...:confused2:

BTW, Looking again, that plug is slightly darker than the other 3 but none are absolutely identical matches.

Thanks for the inputs, I'm making notes as it could be a combination of things.... Keep your thoughts coming.... Please.

That's a good point Dave! I'd say if its running good and strong, and getting good mileage, then run it! But the "must tinker" force is strong Obewan......you must resist....

I can't resist. The Force has to be with me. I have to get the HP up as far as I can to compete with the monster Kyle's building.
Fat Chance of that happening. But, I keep loosing weight and the power to weight ratio keeps getting better..... Hope that'll stop soon or I'll float away.....:confused2::sad2:

I'm firmly in the camp of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!'

Those plugs look fine to me - on an '89 motor I would expect a bit of anything. If (and we know it does) run strong and without hiccups, leave it alone!! You may just end up running worse if you tinker with it..

But if you really feel it's rich, start with the A/F screws - 1 quarter turn in on all four then run the bike for a while and look at the plugs again.

If you used a hotter plug no 1, 3 and 4 might look better colour wise.
Maybe iridiums would be better?

I can't resist. The Force has to be with me. I have to get the HP up as far as I can to compete with the monster Kyle's building.
Fat Chance of that happening. But, I keep loosing weight and the power to weight ratio keeps getting better..... Hope that'll stop soon or I'll float away.....:confused2::sad2:
Damn now I am gonna have to go get liposuction to keep up:bang head:

are those plugs taken out after a wide open cut or were you idling for a bit? wont give a accurate reading. if it was idled. whats your fuel mileage like and how much did you make on the dyno? sounds like you got a good set up. as mentioned are the air corrector still in the carbs?

No air correctors, modded stock carb set up. This reading was after an average ride on the Interstate 70 to 130 and then cruising a mile and a half home. I hit the lights so no stops. Cut the throttle and coasted into the driveway. Oh, 2 good 1st and 2nd gear rolling burnouts on the mile and a half home too....:rofl_200:

Here's a link to the dyno run and sheets:http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=22940

This dyno run is what started me looking at how rich it was running. Sean and others have mentioned 12 to 1 Air Fuel is a tad bit rich.... The plugs look it to me...

Thanks for these and more inputs Gentlemen....

Back