Air filters?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daves86vmax

Reaction score
If I use any air filter besides stock will I need to rejet the carbs?Examples,the UNI air box filter,K&N air box filter,or the individual carb cone filters I've seen on python or even theIndividual K&N filters.I'd rather not rejet but would like some sort of upgrade,I'm pretty sure the filter I have in my 86 is original.:th_stophierPeeingIn

Stock filter location and you're fine. Use anything else and it won't run worth $hit.

Stock filter location and you're fine. Use anything else and it won't run worth $hit.

Does that mean the K&N I just bought is a waste of money???
I just wanted to go with the lifelong filter. It's the same as the stock one, but now I don't have to buy replacements!

Did I do wrong?

Does that mean the K&N I just bought is a waste of money???
I just wanted to go with the lifelong filter. It's the same as the stock one, but now I don't have to buy replacements!

Did I do wrong?

The K&N that is the stock replacement, you'll be just fine, providing you keep your stock airbox.

I have the kerker 4 into 2 exhaust (without any baffle material in them, which I found out when I took them apart to paint them) so I should be O.K. with an aftermarket foam filter(k&n or uni)as long as i'm still using the factory airbox, right?

I have the kerker 4 into 2 exhaust (without any baffle material in them, which I found out when I took them apart to paint them) so I should be O.K. with an aftermarket foam filter(k&n or uni)as long as i'm still using the factory airbox, right?

Yup

I am new to the V-max so please excuse this but in all the other bikes I had when I switched from a stock filter to a K&N stock replacement I always had to rejet due to it went too lean and would get the decel pop. Thats even after I tried to get away with just adjusting the a/f screws still was lean. Not to highjack this but when you adjust the Vmaxs a/f screws has anybody adjusted them by ear method ( turn it all the way in and then back it out hearing the engine surge method)? I hear you have to tune the V4s didfferent the the I4s vs all being turned out at the same setting?

Yes, set the a/f screws to best idle. Each screw will not necessarily be set the same.

Sean

I have tried this method on my Max but it didn't work. I could not tell any real difference in idle while adjusting any of the A/F screws?

Does everyone agree that the individual filters make the bike run like crap? Assuming I have a full exhaust and proper jetting? I'm at 5000 ft elevation btw. The air boots between the air box and carbs are like plastic on my 86vmax, so i'm about to buy either a new/used airbox with good rubber, or the individual airfilters for each carb. I'm leaning towards the individuals unless other people had bad luck with em. The air filter I have now is a k&n in the stock airbox.

I would check all 12 boots before you order anything. A full exhaust should run good with an air box or individual filters. At that elevation your bike probably won't run as well with stock jetting. I would lower the main jet to a 145 for sure.

I just lowered the jetting to 147.5 from stock, in case I wanna run down to Vegas and do a few runs at the track. You think 145s would still be ok, assuming I get individual filters, vegas is 2000ft elevation.

145's should still work for 2K in elevation. If you get the ind. air filters you will need the Dynojet air correctors as well.

I bought the bike with a Kreker 4-2-1 system + uni filter
It was running too rich.
I changed to K&N stock replacement (and took the "Y" off the air box).
It's running much smoother now, It also flattened the dip I had in mid revs.

I still need to adjust the carbs but Ill wait until I change the muffler (the one I have now is held together with bass guitar strings.

Bottom line, the K&N makes my max happy and that makes me happy.:biglaugh:

There are so many other stuff on my priority list it's going to take a long time to get to that,
I'm thinking either short, stubby and as lightweight as possible.
Or maybe the same Kreker can but in better condition.

I like the sound from Kreker and I don't need more power, not until I change the rim/sus/brakes.
Stock setup has no use for more then 120HP at the wheel, and my rear dunlop will not know what to do with it.

I don't see myself doing that anytime soon,
This V-max fell in to my lap and I'm keeping it as a "Maximum bike per dollar".
I'm never going to sell it, so I don't mind investing in it, but not now.
I have a 4 month old baby and a carrier to take care of first.

Back