All you drag racers out there, spill the beans!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
I know we don't want to give out all our secrets.

But I am curious to know what combinations of parts and riding you have?

I am running all stock save for supertrapp slip ons and have run 11.50's. Hot almost 100 degree day, humid and a slight wind. I've watched my video quite a few times and can say the clutches definitely where slipping, not the tire.

Coming out of the whole around 4000-4500 rpm, 3/4 throttle through first gear and full throttle once 2nd gear and one. Power shift through all gears and shifting around 10,000-10,500. Trying to keep my r's up for the next gear. I haven't really short shifted yet to see if it changes in any of the gears. But it was definitely faster at 10k to 10500 then it was shifting at 9500.

I document my runs pretty decently, but not as good as I did when I really raced before.

My burnouts are usually 8 seconds ( I do an 8 count with the crappy dunlop original tire ). That might change with the new Shinko. I sway it side to side to get more heat into the tire. I also do a quick spin in the water to get the entire tire wet before I start my routine. I know alot of people frown on this saying it will splash water up, but I don't go into the depth of the water, just where it start to get wet and then back a half revolution of the tire. Do a quick blip and roll out a couple feet and do my burnout. I do my burn outs in second gear. First gear spins the motor to easily and is easy to get out of control spin. Second gear gives the tire more revolutions and thus more heat at less expense to the engine having to spin higher.

Once the tire is warm, I usually don't do a dry hop. That is really hard on drive line parts. So lets back up a second back to the burn out. I pull the clutch in and roll to the line. DO NOT come out of the burn out with the clutch engaged. When it catches traction, you shock the drive line and will most likely break something or severely weaken it if you keep your clutch engaged and roll out spinning the tire. It may look cool and you may pull the front wheel and get a cool picture, but its not worth the damage and stress it puts on the driveline. So do you burnout and then disengage the clutch and roll out to the starting line.

SO back to the tire being warm and rolling up to the line. I don't have much experience bracket racing my Vmax. But I have raced many cars and depending on traction limitations, round or other driver, I may or may not screw with you at the line. You also need to know how long they will give you from the time you start you burnout to the time you have to light the first bulb. Also from the first to the second bulb, you need to know that time as well. If I am messing with you, I'll figure out my engine temp, tire temp and I ll coordinate my entry into the first bulb. Usually I will "stall" a little and let you do a burn out first, heat your engine and temp up and then I will do my burnout etc. I may hold back a little and let your engine temp climb and your tire temp drop. I may roll into the first bulb and then roll out and reline myself up again to kill more time. These are all games you play when you start to get serious into bracket racing. Because if I can raise your engine temp 10-20 degrees and drop your tire temp down, you'll be slower and off your dial. Not to mention its a mental game. You start looking at your gauges and waiting looking back for me to come up etc.

So once we get the first bulb lit, I usually as a courtesy will let you light the next bulb if you haven't already done so. From there depending on what line I have picked to run down, I will watch my distance from you , usually as close to the center line as possible. If I am faster, I ll scrub some et and mph off by moving outside my line. I may chop my throttle for a nanosecond, of if I am really blowing by, I ll tap my brake. A lot of this will depend on where you are and how fast or close we are in dial in times. If we are close, I may or may not choose the outer line. If you are faster and the outer line has been hooking up for me, I ll choose that. I choose my lines dependent on many variables. But the faster people then me, I want you farther away from me. Its harder to tell where someone is at the farther they are from you. Now this can be a problem when your sandbagging or the other guy is sandbagging. Some tracks will DQ you if you sand bag as well. So its good to know the track and what they will and wont let go.

A quick note on RT ( reaction times ). If your running too fast, honestly, eat something heavy, go grab that cheese burger or chilli dog. If your slow, grab a sugar filled candy. It will bring you up and down slightly. I ve used this many many times for years and sometimes it helps and sometimes my nerves and mental state just weren't there enough to try and "fix" my reaction time.

Now alot of this is advanced tricks and tips. These are assuming this isn't your first time down the track and that your not just out trying to get the best et out of your bike to see how "fast" it is. These mostly apply to people who are bracket racing.

Maybe we should do a quick primer on how to take your bike to the track for the first time?

If so I ll do a quick write up on that if you guys are interested. And I am sure there are alot of guys here that have more experience then me on a Vmax at the track that can give some better shift , engine etc techniques and numbers to look at.

Todd

Wow that's way too much Thought for me, I usually Just put my balls on the seat and And let my experience Do the rest

Wow that's way too much Thought for me, I usually Just put my balls on the seat and And let my experience Do the rest

There is ALOT more to drag racing then people realize. Its a lot of numbers game. Coordinating things to make the exact same pass every time. Its just not weather temp, humidity, engine temp, there is WAY more involved.

Back in my pinnacle of door car bracket racing, we used to have note books filled by the end of test and tune. I could almost predict to few hundredths of a second what my car would run IF ( big IF ) everything went as planed and fate didn't intervene.

With computers and lap tops, you can box and number up things to make this job easier.

But before it was calculation after calculation to get a temp and baro drop of 20 degrees with a 2 mph head wind, when 4 hours ago you have a 4 mph tail wind and it was 20 degrees hotter.

Its not easy, but after years of keeping information, you start to cross numbers and realize that a jet change at 80 degrees with a baro reading 30.20 that is falling steadily, may be what you need to continually run 9.90. Or it gives you the information to know that you would HAVE to change a jet to run 9.90, but if you don't you will run 9.94 and you can adjust your dial accordingly if your just running dials and not a 9.90 class.

There is alot of number crunching involved and knowing your vehicle. You will NOT see one guy at the track with his car that is a serious racer. You will see several people at the track with him ( his pit crew ) and each one will be specifically assigned to one or two areas. They will get their information and then discuss what they need to change.

Obviously this is getting bigger scale then a typical weekend warrior racer. But it gives you the idea of what is done at a drag strip when serious racers are running.

For the guy that just wants to see how fast his bike is.

1 Drive around the water box. DO NOT get your front tire wet.

2 Do a quick burnout. No long standing burnouts, you may make your tire slicker rather then sticker.

3 Leave on the last yellow, not the green.

4 Cut your throttle about 75 feet PAST the line on the top end.

5 Do not pop up before you hit your brakes and slow down some. 125 mph and popping up will hit your hard if your not prepared. Worse case you might blow off the bike.

6 Collect your time card and smile!

Todd

I have bias tires on my V-Max and someone recommended that I DON'T do a burnout as the traction will be reduced, unlike a radial.

Any thoughts on that?

I have bias tires on my V-Max and someone recommended that I DON'T do a burnout as the traction will be reduced, unlike a radial.

Any thoughts on that?

You should always do a quick burnout. You don't have to "smoke" the tire. Just do a quick spin. That way you get whatever foreign debris off the tire. Also if you roll through the burn box and get the tire wet, you HAVE to do a burn out to get the water off the tire. They may require you to do more then a quick spin if you get the tire wet.

But in general talk to the staging lane official and if you haven't gone to that track before he will explain what you can and can't do and what they expect you to do.

But in general atleast a decent spin of the tire is required to remove debris , sand rocks etc off the tire before you hit the staging lights.

Todd

Our tracks don't usually let you screw around with them or your competition. They have seen all these tricks before. You do your burnouts almost together and line up almost together . It's usually not your choice . No one upmanship or letting the other guy sit and burn while you get ready at your leisure. They will wave you off and let the competition go on down the track. A stern warning is given and if repeated , you are asked to go sit in the stands and learn respect for the track and the competition.

Perfect, thanks for the reply. :)

First time at a drag track, should be fun ;)

I rely on killing them with the R/T and then it's easy money after that if the bike is even close to running it's time.

Our tracks don't usually let you screw around with them or your competition. They have seen all these tricks before. You do your burnouts almost together and line up almost together . It's usually not your choice . No one upmanship or letting the other guy sit and burn while you get ready at your leisure. They will wave you off and let the competition go on down the track. A stern warning is given and if repeated , you are asked to go sit in the stands and learn respect for the track and the competition.

Yep been there and had that happen. Big national track. I was 1.4 seconds over the allowed 3 seconds to roll out of the burn box!

Go figure that one. Someone actually stop watched everyone. That blew me away haha.

Now we aren't talking about me sitting back for 40 seconds. This can all be accomplished in less then 10-15 seconds in some cases. Every little bit to give you the edge.

We used to stutter box one of our fast cars from a 9.90 down to a 12.90 and have it step till about the 880 ft mark and then pull the plug and it was balls out! I remember after the season was over they came up with a rule on that LOL. But till the season was over, it was legal.

Its hard to judge time when someone is running a 13.10 dial and your running a 12.90 dial, they are running 104 mph and you blast by at 129 mph and tap your brakes and hit a 12.93 @ 129 mph.

That was a good was a good interpretation of the rules and was perfectly legal for one season.

Todd

I should mention that there was no warning given. Semi finals, I was tossed. But everything up to that point, same technique and timing where never questioned. Maybe it was because it was a local hero that I was running? Who knows. But it sucked. Because I would have treed him that night for sure and I know I would have beat him. His RT's that night where slower then mine. But the next guy that won the finals, I never beat ...ever. So I would have had at least a few hundred more in purse money that night if I would have made it to the finals.

Sigh....

Wouldn't mind spending a day at the track with ya, Like you, I have made many passes in my old street car but only a couple on the Max, launching on the street is easy as the tire starts spinning and away i go, but the track is a new animal for me, the first time I rolled around the water box and dumped the clutch expecting to clean the tire I stood the thing straight up, by the time it came down I was 3 ft beyond the staging beams, that rattled me pretty good!........I just need some practice and a little coaching to build my confidence...........Tom.

I was almost thinking of maybe getting everyone together and renting the track for the day. I am not sure how much they would charge us. But that would be cool to have a Vmax Race day in Michigan!

Todd

PS I only charge $75 an hour to coach!.....just kidding. I am always more then willing to help others. Thats how I got to where I was at ( through the help of others ).

3 second burnout allowed ??? I need a list of these shitty tracks. They tossed you for going over 1.4 seconds heating you're tire??? :ummm: I understand not knitting a sweater in the lights but 3 seconds ? I'd say "ok asswipe, give me my hundred bucks back ! Isn't drag racing a weekend hobby for us average folk ? A good burnout is back in to the water box to keep front tire dry. kick in 2nd and let the clutch GO @6000rpm for about 3-4 seconds and with th r's still up, ease off the front brake (tire still spinning) and rool forward till chirp....You are now ready to roll...proper tire pressure of course. I'll even roast it through the beam sometimes waiting for the chirp

3 second burnout allowed ??? I need a list of these shitty tracks. They tossed you for going over 1.4 seconds heating you're tire??? :ummm: I understand not knitting a sweater in the lights but 3 seconds ? I'd say "ok asswipe, give me my hundred bucks back ! Isn't drag racing a weekend hobby for us average folk ? A good burnout is back in to the water box to keep front tire dry. kick in 2nd and let the clutch GO @6000rpm for about 3-4 seconds and with th r's still up, ease off the front brake (tire still spinning) and rool forward till chirp....You are now ready to roll...proper tire pressure of course. I'll even roast it through the beam sometimes waiting for the chirp

Im with you, like I said before,I never thought that hard about it. I've been to the track twice in 14 years In 1998 with a stock motored 92 ran, 11.187 @123 and then I took the gen II this past april , again stock bike, and ran 10.39 @ 130. hell maybe if I thought about it I could do it for a living:ummm:"http://www.youtube.com/embed/5v-yLWHZYcU?feature=player_embedded" Im in the right lane at 3.30 in the video, the other max was flashed and piped!

lol interesting read. I am planning on going to the strip on the 10th, with or without my bike lol. Just to check it out.

Today after my bike broke, I watched some of the other racers line up and everything. And I noticed quite a few doing exactly what I said in the prior posts.....

Sucks I broke today, because I could have probably come close to a trophy today LOL.

Todd

I'm a big guy (285lbs in gear) so your mileage may vary but here's what I do... Go around the water and then barely back the rear tire into the water and give a little blip in 1'st to get the tire a little wet then move up just past the water and get it into 2'nd and do my burnout... I don't go apeshit, just enough to get the tire hot then let her roll a little as I'm coming off the throttle.. Then straight to the line and trip the prestage lights, then I get my forward lean (tits on the tank) and position my legs back almost to where I'm on my tippytoes... Then trip the staged beam and start getting my rpms right, I launch at about 6000 or so... When the second yellow comes on I start to release the clutch, as soon as I feel the bike leaving I go full throttle and continue to slip out the clutch to where you can almost feel the front tire skipping across the track... If I get off the clutch too fast and too much throttle I'll wheelie and the pass is slow, if I don't give enough throttle fast enough the bike bogs and it runs slow.. once I'm past that its pretty mindless, light comes on press a button to shift LOL different setups though, I'm 60+ lbs heavier than you and I've got a few more mods so I'm never fighting for traction but I have to really be on my game to help overcome my weight... Do the dd clutch mod, strap your front end down and work that clutch and with your riding skill you should be in the bottom 11's no problem bud :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Just reread and see you've already got the DD clutch so strap those forks tight and play with your launch rpm and slipping the clutch and you'll be there bud!

This is me just after launch last week...
43ae8afb-ee32-fd49.jpg

Back