Any problem areas with an 85 VMax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubeerjw

Reaction score
All,
I may have located an 85 VMax (condition unknown) but should be in pretty good shape from knowing who the owner is. Are there any specific areas I need to check or look out for when I do go to see it? I'm not sure when the last time it ran was, but I'm guessing multiple years (at the minimum). I would assume the carbs need a good cleaning, and are the diaphragms prone to rotting out and what do they cost? I'm sure new tires and a battery will be needed, but what about seals, clutch and break lines. I am trying to avoid spending major $$ to fix something I could have checked and identified before we determine a price.
Thanks,
Jeff

There were 2nd gear problems with the 85/86 model years. See if he fixed that. The carbs should be gone through replacing all o-rings and gaskets. Coasting enricheners have rubber diaphragms too and may have rotted. Slides are pricey...about $54 a piece after discount from University Motors.

I would also replace brake pads, coolant, final drive oil. Check/lube vboost cable and throttle cables. Make sure Vboost works too....the servo controller is not cheap. Replace spark plugs, plug wires/boots, clean grounds and make sure the charging system is up to snuff. A compression and/or leak down test would be good too.

Mark

Having just been through something similar to this I would say do everything Mark has recommended and also consider reconditioning kit for the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. Same for the brakes.

If the engine seals are not leaking now and are still original they will also leak pretty quickly with regular use.

Your coolant lines will all need inspection i.e. don't just look at them. Disconnect them and check the steel sleeves that join the hoses to the engine and radiator assembly. Check the seals on the engine breather (upper and lower seals) in the valley between the cylinders.

These places also hide corrosion in the coolant system and oil feed lines.

Take a look under the fork dust seals to make sure the oil seals are good and you have no corrosion.

In short, if you want trouble free riding without the need to constantly make small repairs, a bike this age should be pulled down to the point that all rubber components used to seals fluids and fluid lines can be replaced.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I've got a great running '02, but I
though this may be a great project bike for the winter, and maybe turn it into my drag bike. 2nd gear and the smaller forks scare me a little. If I decide to pass on this, I'll be sure to post the info on it and see if anyone else is interested.
Thanks again,
Jeff

Back