Anyone use this Race Removal Tool?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shicks16

Reaction score
I have an eBay wheel bearing removal tool which works great, but I don't have this one for the steering head. It looks like a good tool & is cheap enough, but I just use a ~5/8" brass drift pin for the steering head. I guess if you were going to be doing them frequently, this would do the job a bit quicker.

I also bought a Harbor Freight bearing & seal driver set which does a good job for installation of races & bearings.

Last edited:
So you have a link for the harbor freight tool. Does it work for installing the bearing on the lower tree?

So you have a link for the harbor freight tool. Does it work for installing the bearing on the lower tree?

The H.F. tool has a variety of sizes of drivers, but to be truthful I cannot recall if I used that for either the top or bottom outer races. One side is tapered & one side is flat, so you can use it for seals (the latter) and the other side for outer races (the former).
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-95853.html

I usually use a piece of pipe across the bearing for the top outer race, tap lightly all around to get it started, make sure you get it even or you need to remove it & start over. Make sure it's fully-seated when you are done. Most people use the old race as a driver.

For the bottom bearing, ONLY use force on the INNER race that seats against the stem. I use an old inner race which I widened the inner hole a bit (so it won't be an interference fit too!) & a piece of pipe which slides over the stem and then against the old bearing (widened hole diameter) race, with the new bearing under that. Tap against the length of pipe until your new bearing is seated on the triple tree, don't forget any dust seal or other piece which is supposed to be inserted first, before the bearing is seated; refer to your factory assembly manual for the proper pieces.

Another way you can do it is to use a piece of all-thread and a length of pipe over the steering stem, the all-thread sticking above & below the stem, double-nut the bottom of the all-thread to hold it stationary and use a deep socket and a fender washer or two on-top, then a nut, and tighten the nut on the all-thread so the pipe beneath the nut/washer(s) and pipe, (with the old inner race with the slightly-widened diameter) draws together the lower race against the bottom triple tree.

Or, take it to a good machine shop and pay. They will use a hydraulic press.

I never did get this as I haven't needed to yet. I am still very curious if it would work though

I don't believe that tool would work with the vmax. At least, not on the lower race in the steering stem. There is nothing for it to grab onto.

there is like a 1/16" gap in mine between the race and the seat. wondering if it'd grab in there.

what sucks is my blind hole bearing remover would work i bet if it just opened another 1/8-1/4". theres a little gap it could get into.

I just changed mine yesterday and got the top race out with a punch, the lower I used a die grinder and basically cut it out, gotta be real careful doing it that way though!
43ae8afb-31f5-4312.jpg
43ae8afb-320c-1944.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I don't believe that tool would work with the vmax. At least, not on the lower race in the steering stem. There is nothing for it to grab onto.

Yeah, I'm leaning in the same direction as Mike....Yamaha did not make it easy to get this lower race out, and I don't see any advantage in their design other than to discourage DIY-ers!

I just changed mine yesterday and got the top race out with a punch, the lower I used a die grinder and basically cut it out, gotta be real careful doing it that way though!
43ae8afb-31f5-4312.jpg
43ae8afb-320c-1944.jpg

interesting way to hold the bike up, is it done by the cross member infront of the oil filter?

interesting way to hold the bike up, is it done by the cross member infront of the oil filter?

Yuppers, got it strapped down in the back and its solid. Couldn't really find a way to get the jack stands under it any other way..

Yuppers, got it strapped down in the back and its solid. Couldn't really find a way to get the jack stands under it any other way..

good stuff. i'll have to see if i can fit a stand under there myself. right now i just have it on the CS and a scissor jack under the oil pan.

good stuff. i'll have to see if i can fit a stand under there myself. right now i just have it on the CS and a scissor jack under the oil pan.

I have a Kerker so no center stand, sometimes I have to get creative...LOL

Latest posts

Back