Bike Cranks, but won't start.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnc1go

Reaction score
I replaced a worn out battery and now the bike cranks, but does not start or fire for that matter. Now it did sit for three weeks without a battery, I don't know if that is a factor or not. I noticed the odometer number had been replaced by the number "41" and when I ran a diagnostic I came across a single ECU fail. Now when I hit the starter the odometer number appeared as it should and upon releasing the starter button, it goes back to "41" Any ideas?

Attachments

• 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Diag 62  1.jpg
    Diag 62 1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 18
I'm certainly no expert when it comes to the electronics of a Gen II, but it'd be my guess that you got something put back together incorrectly when you installed that new battery. Double check all the wiring you had to displace in order to get at the battery box....and pay very close attention to the big clusters of connectors that plug directly into the ECU. If someone has severed any wiring into either of those connectors to add in a speedo correction device, or a PCV module, be certain you didn't pull any of their connectors loose from where they splice into the existing ECU wiring.

*************edit************************

According to the service manual, fault code 41 is only the lean angle sensor code. So, most likely you have somehow mal-adjusted your lean angle sensor when you went after exchanging the battery. If memory serves, it is at the lower, front side of the battery box, and would have wiring attached. Refer to pages 8-57, 58 in the service manual to see how to test it.

Thanks JF. I did what you said and I found a connector under the ECU harness that I had failed to reconnect, probably the signal wires to the coil packs. Bike fired right up and I rode yesterday.

According to the error code, I'm guessing that connector may have been to the lean angle sensor. But glad you got it worked out.

High 70's here in MO yesterday, and I managed to get in a 30 mile "Max Attack". Today, I spent most of the morning doing my spring brake and clutch fluid changeouts. I got 4 of the 5 bikes done.

Back