Blue Spot Caliper Questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi all:

First: My Max has blue spot calipers front and back, and I'm wondering if removal of the blue inserts will allow me access to the brake pistons (since getting them out from the inside workings of the caliper is a pain in the butt.)

Second: I emailed qualitypartsonline.com a couple of days ago about the blue spot removal tool they sell, but haven't heard back. Does anyone out there sell that tool?

Thanks very much.

Elimax

From R1-forum :
"Ok, I got the suckers out and this is how. I made up a simple tool to fit into the odd socket shape of the insert. It comprised of a round peice of aluminium and I drilled and tapped 5 holes into it and screwed in 5 4mm allen head screws. I then used the head pattern of the screws to engage into the insert. It took a little measuring but it works great. (I'll post a pic of it when I get my hands on a dig camera). Once youve got the tool the inserts are actually not very tight at all. They seal with an O-ring and once youve shifted them a little they unscrew by hand. The front calipers unscrew outwards as you would expect however the back one uses a left hand thread and when you turn it the normal right hand thread direction it actually goes in further. To remove it keep turning it, you have to remove the brake pads. The caliper piston will eventually fall out and the insert will follow it."

Mr. Morley:

If it's not too much trouble I'd very much like to borrow that tool from you.

What do I need to do to make that happen?

Thank you, sir.

Elimax

Email me a request and address to send it to. The modified socket I have is undersized so you can wrap some tape around it to prevent scarring the inserts.

[email protected]

Why bother removing the inserts to get the pistons out? I just use the lever, or if the system has a problem and can't create pressure I use compressed air. Just be careful with the air, they come out with a vengence.

Just saw this thread.

Heres the tool I made upon pourpose some time ago.
Just laser cut that DXF part from 6mm thick mild steel, tap the 3,2 mm holes with
M4 and torqe the 5 M4x6 alen bolts and you have a tool for yamaha caliper.

Attachments

• yamaha caliper service tool assy.pdf
    93.1 KB · Views: 17
  • yamaha caliper service tool.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 15
Back