Buddies first bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedmax

Reaction score
I'm going to look at this bike for a buddy of mine tomorrow. It will be his first bike . If he didn't buy it I would have . I found it for him and he doesn't have his license yet so he wants me to make sure its good, how could it not be , it a one owner bike with under 5000 miles and the carbs are good!

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/3999105026.html

Great find! Nearly bullet proof unless you let a 16 year old on there! I was 16 when I first started beating up on my dads 83 Maxim 750. I had already blown the trans out of my moms 79 650 Maxim. I've got one of the seca versions sitting here. I have a 750 maxim engine sitting in my seca turbo. So, when he wants to pump up the power on it I can help him sort that out too lol.

Sean

I never had a Yamaha 750-4 but I have had Honda 750-4's (SOHC & DOHC) and a Kawi 750-4 DOHC. I liked 'em all. The 750 is a good size, strong-enough to run 2-up easily, and as a solo mount, it will keep-abreast of or beat most 4-wheelers, until "impound my ride" speeds. Clean low-miles examples like this one are among the best values in motorcycling. Make sure the tires aren't dry-rotted, same for brake hoses, and that the brake pads are still functional. I'd say all those things need careful scrutiny. Change the fluids in the brakes & tranny despite whatever the owner tells you. The front end probably would work better w/the investment of some Bel-Ray fork oil too, I think they were using the fish oil still back-then. Don't forget to grease the cables, including the tach & speedo (I can't recall if the tach was mechanical or electric, if it's electric, add some electrons:biglaugh:).

This bike reminds me of the 3K+ mileage '06 VMax I saw today, which I inquired about a price for, as the owner is wanting to sell once the carbs are cleaned. I'll know tomorrow. Looks all-stock except for the VBoost switch. The black on the engine is generally-good, but the clear coat on the metal parts is peeling everywhere. Nothing Patmax wouldn't want to tackle!

Needless to say I'm a fan of all the old Yamaha air cooled inline fours. My '79 XS 1100 Special may be old, but it'll embarrass plenty of Harleys and metric cruisers. That 750 is a great first bike, you could tour the country on that bike with no problem.

My first bike was an 82 maxim xj650. Loved that bike! Paid $300 for it. Needed a master cylinder rebuild, carb cleaning, and I had to clean the airbox (oil was overfilled). I tried my best to tear that thing up, and I couldn't. I floated the valves in every gear, and it never gave out. I'm sure they're pretty similar. That bike was what got me hooked on riding, and it makes me stick to yamaha to this day.

I've owned two XJ650 Maxims. Bought a new black one in 82 for my then wife and a used 81 in 2003 with 7300 miles. Did some custom paint and other upgrades on the used one and then sold to a good friend in 2006. He still has it. They are are great bikes. Their carbs are even more sensitive than the Max carbs. They even had a TSB concerning the carbs clogging back in 81 or 82. Way before the ethanol problem. If you get one do NOT let it sit with gas anywhere in the carbs. You can probably Google the TSB info. I had a copy of it but it went with the bike.

If you don't buy it (or do but end up not like the bike) let me know. Might be interested in it for my dad. It was his favorite (and last bike) and I would love to get him one. Might need your assistance getting it shipped to me (which I can arrange).

Sean

That one's a cream puff. It would be a great addition to anyone's garage, whether as a daily rider, or a collector item.

I do like! If my roomie ever gets his MC endorsement before I move, I will be helping him find a nice Maxim (or Virago) as a first bike. (or a Shadow, if I can find one of the older ones with the controls back towards the rider in decent condition)

Best bike so far I've owned was the Fazer. BULLET PROOF for 99% of my riding habits. Easily upgraded for handling and power. Not to say I haven't broken parts on it but it's pretty rare. Trans is about the main thing but launching at 10K with a slick and bar with 50 tooth chain would eventually get to anything.
Sean

Had to pass , would have put him over his budget for everything it would have needed, and the guy was a little bit of a dick.......I don't do dicks.so we keep looking

Tell me what all was wrong with it. Would he consider lower cost? Hate to have you help me get it bought and find out it needs a ton of stuff.

Tires were old and VERY hard, very spongy front brakes ( lines maybe), rear brakes locked up way to easy, would need fork oil and prolly seals once it was ridden for a while, had a few small oil leaks that I'm sure would get worse as it was ridden .(he's put 400 miles on it in 12 years)The clear coat was no where as nice as it looks in the pics I offered the Guy a grand , he asked if I had cash on me I said no , I'd bring it when I picked it up with my buddy either Friday or Saturday or paypal it to him right there on the spot , whichever was best for him . He said no, He wouldn't do paypal and it it would be 1200 Friday or Saturday

I even told him about you Sean , that you would be interested in it for your dad, and pay for shipping , ect, ect, He flat out said NO.

for some of us it might be a good bike , but my buddy needs something he can get on and ride , he knows NOTHING about mechanical stuff.
We'll find him the right bike.

On a side note , getting off the gen II onto that was a little weird .

If you have his email or phone info you might shoot it to me. Or post it here for all that matters. BUT, he's going to have to take a lot less for it if it needs that much.

Follow the link ,that's all the contact info I have, he's not gonna move on the price , why would he go through the trouble of selling it to you when I'd give him 1000 for it ?

I never had a Yamaha 750-4 but I have had Honda 750-4's (SOHC & DOHC) and a Kawi 750-4 DOHC. I liked 'em all. The 750 is a good size, strong-enough to run 2-up easily, and as a solo mount, it will keep-abreast of or beat most 4-wheelers, until "impound my ride" speeds. Clean low-miles examples like this one are among the best values in motorcycling. Make sure the tires aren't dry-rotted, same for brake hoses, and that the brake pads are still functional. I'd say all those things need careful scrutiny. Change the fluids in the brakes & tranny despite whatever the owner tells you. The front end probably would work better w/the investment of some Bel-Ray fork oil too, I think they were using the fish oil still back-then. Don't forget to grease the cables, including the tach & speedo (I can't recall if the tach was mechanical or electric, if it's electric, add some electrons
biglaugh.gif
).

Tires were old and VERY hard, very spongy front brakes ( lines maybe), rear brakes locked up way to easy, would need fork oil and prolly seals once it was ridden for a while, had a few small oil leaks that I'm sure would get worse as it was ridden .(he's put 400 miles on it in 12 years)The clear coat was no where as nice as it looks in the pics I offered the Guy a grand , he asked if I had cash on me I said no , I'd bring it when I picked it up with my buddy either Friday or Saturday or paypal it to him right there on the spot , whichever was best for him . He said no, He wouldn't do paypal and it it would be 1200 Friday or Saturday

I even told him about you Sean , that you would be interested in it for your dad, and pay for shipping , ect, ect, He flat out said NO.

for some of us it might be a good bike , but my buddy needs something he can get on and ride , he knows NOTHING about mechanical stuff.
We'll find him the right bike.

On a side note , getting off the gen II onto that was a little weird .

Maybe the guy will sell it if he doesn't find a sucker. I could reasonably-predict the shape it's in by moto-telepathy!

I bet it did feel different, coming off a knackered-up bike in-need of maintenance and getting onto a modern bike.

Back