C O P's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.n2o

Reaction score
Just lookin for some feedback from you guys that have done this mod. I'm really considering doing this to my 89. Coils have been cracked for a while and I don't want to put stock coils back in. I noticed some R1 cop's on ebay fairly priced and I'm thinkin' of grabbing some. Bike runs awesome off idle but has been acting up when it heats up. I've made a list of shit to do over winter when it's on the lift but that's a ways off :biglaugh:

I bought Gannon's COPS Kit from Sean Morley and I like them alot.
It was 100% plug and play, they took about 1/2 hour to install and that was with me taking my time.
I did it because I had a Front Coil Going Bad and figured instead of replacing it I'd upgrade to more modern Technolgy.

Last edited:
I bought Gannon's COPS Kit from Sean Morley and I like them alot.
It was 100% plug and play, they took about 2 hours to install and that was with me taking my time.
I did it because I had a Front Coil Going Bad and figured instead of replacing it I'd upgrade to more modern Technolgy.

Can you tell me what your bike was or wasn't doing to let you know your front coil was bad?
Also what condition was the bad coil in?

Thank you

It was only firing intermittently on that one cylinder, it had a very rough idle and would hestitate/stumble at times when I whacked the throttle or even when just cruising at the speed limit.
A Spark plug tester showed that one plug was firing very randomly (not consistant like the other plugs) and that one cylinder was not getting as hot as the other three.
The Plug, Wire and Boot all tested as good, so I figured it had to be the Coil.
I didn't remove the Coil cause it was easier to just leave it in but I'm pretty sure it was cracked because it is the Original Coil and both my rear coils were cracked and I took them out and sealed the cracks with Silicone a year or so earlier.
I figured it wouldn't be long before they all started to act up, so I decided to get the COPS.
Once I got a good coil on the cylinder the bike ran smooth again since it was firing like it should on all cylinders.

Last edited:
Hey Gannon
Why not R1 COPS? Aren't they all the same? Are the R1 Mitsubishi and not Denso? What is your insight on that?

I recently picked up a set of cop's for a gsxr 600 to do my own mod. It ran ok, but still wasn't right. I contacted Gannon to gather some insight as to what I my have done wrong. He was more than willing to share his wealth of knowledge on the subject and even offered to send me one of his expertly made kits without payment just to see if it would fix my problem. What I found out was that gsxr coils had too low of resistance to work properly without the resistors. If I had it to do again, I would just skip the wasted time on my diy setup and get the kit from Gannon. (which may happen very soon as I'm buying another Max this week). Saves time and is definitely of a greater level of quality than I could have hoped for.

Hey Gannon
Why not R1 COPS? Aren't they all the same? Are the R1 Mitsubishi and not Denso? What is your insight on that?

I purchased Mitsubishi cops from E-bay and Gannon's great harness. The Mitsubishi cops arched on me. I bought a set of Denso's for $24 and shipping and never think of my coils or secondary ignition anymore. I carry a spare, but will prolly never need it. Reliability is the big gain for me doing the cop mod.
Steve

I bought Gannon's kit and it is a nice piece of work. I have an 85 which requires the resistor for the ignightor box. My bikes runs very good with COP's and I can tell the difference in throttle responce and engine seems to have more power. There has not been any confirmation that COP's make more HP but my stock clutch started slipping immediatly. I had to do the DD mod to overcome my clutch slippage and all is well again. My kit came with Denso's 4400 series coils (long type). I ordered an extra set from Ebay and put one COP in my tool kit just to have as an extra. I removed my old coils to get rid of the extra weight and probably will never need them again. It was suggested to regap plugs @ .026, I think by Gannon himself.........

Last edited:
Hey Gannon

Mitsubishi coils are not really ideal for the conversion. Besides the resistance
is very low there other parameters that effect the firing. Now with that being said not all Denso's are worthy either. So far I actually have only found 2 coils that Denso makes that are pretty good. What has been screwy is that there is a year range of a part number that is good. It is like Denso had changed the parameters with in the coil in certain years even though they have the same number. So all in All it has been fun finding the right coil for the conversion. Recently I have been testing some other coils for the conversion on
my own bike and have been very impressed by their performance. Now I have been doing this because the coils that I have been using are starting to get harder and harder to find. Good quality used coils are a pain to find. I am guessing that i have a 20% throw away of the coils that I get used. It is a risk buying used coils like i do in bulk or sometimes even by the set. After I get the coils in and doing checks on them I chuck a lot of them. :bang head::bang head: but that is the benefit for you guys that do not want to risk buying several sets and the headache of testing and trouble shooting that you could have.

G

+1 for Gannon's COP kit...100% plug & play...zero issues after 500 miles. Toughest part of the job is getting the old bricks out of the bike (at least the 2 front ones)

Look in vmax parts for sale section then look for coil conversion it is around 10 or so down the list !

G

+1 for Gannon's COP kit...100% plug & play...zero issues after 500 miles. Toughest part of the job is getting the old bricks out of the bike (at least the 2 front ones)
Ahh, still got one hanging there on the right side for balast.
rofl_200.gif
I'm going to have to drill the screws out someday. It's not high on the list of things to do. Maybe when I paint the radiator some day?
Steve-o

Hy,
i actualy have nology coils and cable
i will transfer those on my Venture(who dramaticaly need it)
and get R1 coils on plug for my 1998 Vmax:eusa_dance:

question
ARE ANY YEAR <R1 COP> FITS ON THE 1998 MAX:ummm:
and i presume i need harness to fit the coil terminal:ummm:
how come the are so much difference in prices, is there any warning

regards

Back