cam grinding anyone done this

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmullins

Reaction score
Wanting to increase my torque so for $300 think I'm going to get so cam grinding done any one done this how did this work out or if you have some stage 1 cams you want to sell let me know

Our cam regrind service is quite a bit higher since it involves weld work too. Regrinding the current cam will cut through the hardened outer layer of metal and your work will be short lived. Not only that but since the cam is hard located you'll have to take metal off the base to get more effective lift by adding in thicker shims. This will be far harder to find the correct shim when you put them back in.

Big enough cams will also require more work like new springs, HD timing chains, and the biggest cams require cutting clearance in the pistons and a shim under bucket conversion (which we sell all the above).

Sean

:punk: Cost, depends on how much you do yourself. Looks like about $2000 - $4000 depending on how you do it. You can trick out the whole motor for about $10,000. Put a good pipe and jet kit on it and call it good or buy one someone else already lost their butt on. Good Luck, Spurs

Unless you're tearing the motor down and doing a big bore or big block conversion, this seems like a bad allocation of funds for the compromises it brings about.

Pipe, jet kit, suspension and clutch mods, then just have fun.

That makes sense, then, but are you going to do a big motor? Real gains from cams tend to be best as a compliment to a complete motor build.

I'd also stay away from soft faced cams. Used to have trouble with those when I raced old school Minis. Then again, everything about those little buggers was less than perfect.

Good luck!

+1 on Seans comment.

Every change you make means you have to change something else. Shims, springs etc.

A set of drop in cams is the same price as larger cams ($700). The larger cams provide an increased benefit but work best with other parts.

Sean

We can get you very aggressive cams made but you'll hit the pistons if you try and use them on a stock engine. I'm not really sure what you're goal is? There isn't anything cheap on these engines (or most motorcycle engines for that matter).

For the biggest cams (A required list):
$700 exchange (No one makes a billet set since there are 4 of them and not enough sales)
$250 Titanium Retainers
$350 Shim Under Buckets
$90 HD Cam Chains
$130 HD Spring Set
$80 Head Gaskets
$600 Pistons, Rings, Wristpins, Locks
$120 ARP Head Studs
$?? Shims (would need all new)
$ Misc Gaskets (would need to add them all up for you)
$ Plenty of other misc you would want to consider like rods, trans update, and more

If you really want to go drag racing and go fast you need to buy my 1500 Longrod chaindrive engine. It's about $4k under what it would cost to build. More info in the Muscle Sale section.

Sean

I'm sure they have. We typically use the 03 and 07 types (though ours aren't the same number callouts). The bigger shim under buckets is a very expensive proposition.

Sean

Back