Carbs and Knees. weird issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs92s1880

Reaction score
Here's the deal. I bought my 86 about a month ago, and I've been through hell with it(apparently I bought it with a bad wrist-pin). I replaced the wrist-pin, piston, rod etc with the help of Sean Morley, and that's all well and good.

Here comes the weird part.... When I'm cruising along on the highway at 50 or above in 5th, or even down in fourth for that matter, if close my legs up against the (fake)tank, after a second or two Max acts like hes starving for fuel under low and tip-in throttle. Ill even make the sound for you. Blaaaah, te blaaaaaaaaaah, tete te blah, te, blaaaaahh, chibilah chibilah, blaaaahhh and so on.

If I splay my knees out like a woman of questionable moral standards, it clears up in a second or two, and will cruise with only an occasional te,......te.

Also, if I run it hard through a couple of gears and then try to cruise, it starves itself dry(or so it seems). I give it a little throttle and theres just nothing there(regardless of knee position). I give it moderate to full throttle and it acts like itself. this will clear up in 10 to 20 seconds and throttle response comes back to being crisp.

What gives? I checked the air bleed tubes and they are unrestricted, however I have not checked the passages at the carbs. Seems to me that the bowls are running dry due to lack of atmosphere at the air bleeds.

All of this has been going on since I bought the bike. I did change over to supertrapp slipons without any tuning, but again, this has been going on since I bought it.

Anyone else have knee problems with Max, and maybe some insight on the issue?

Isn't that the craziest thing. I though I was nuts when mine did that.

You need to put the 4 hoses back on the carbs to airbox. There are connectors on the top of each carb, this connects to those connectors on the side of the top piece of the airbox, 2 on each side.

i'd also make sure my airbox clamps are tight. u might be shifting the airbox and its pulling in raw air?

+1 on what Garrett said. You need to make sure those fuel bowls vent hoses are clear, free of kinks, in good condition, routed properly and fastened to each top side of the air box with their screw (one fitting for 2 tubes each side).
Also, make sure that your air box is fastened securely, and also that all your rubber boots are in good shape. There's one set between air box and carbs, and another between carbs and intakes, and any air leaks there would result in the kind of problems you're experiencing.

Glad you figured it out......

And thanks for updating with the solution:clapping:

Latest posts

Back