Clutch rattle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storloc

Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done to silence the clutch rattle? It's not a big deal but it would be nice if something could be done to muffle it a bit.

Well I have the ear plugs covered and the new exhaust is being built. :biglaugh:

From what I have seen 82nd, most Maxes have a clutch basket ( i assume this is where it comes from) rattle especially in neutral with the clutch disengaged. Someone likened it to an aluminum can with marbles rattling around in it although i hope noone has it quite that bad. I tend to have hypersensitive hearing when I get home to ride due to wearing ear plugs all day at work. Some bikes are loud enough due to exhaust to not notice.

my '86 does the same - it's rattly on idle, and if I pull the clutch lever the rattle stops.

I've asked the question b4 as well, and apparently it's not much to be worried about, just a small annoyance. I guess a fresh clutch would fix it, but since mine ain't broke yet I ain't fixing it!

Clutch rattle/rumble is usually caused by a worn clutch housing or the tabs on the friction plates being worn. My opinion is that the clutch housing often becomes worn from the friction disc tabs over time. It would also be possible for the clutch boss groves that that the metal plates slide over to become worn. So basicly it could be a combination of wear on both of these areas that eventually lead to a clutch that rattles. This can become irritating when stopped at a red light with the clutch disengaged. The only option is to put it in netural and release the clutch while waiting or to start looking for a lower miliage clutch parts.

I had a 1st generation venture with over 60,000 miles that rattled to the point it was embarassing. Of course the quiet exhaust didn't help matters. I had disassembled it to check for wear and dropped the housing,breaking off one of the ears. I replaced the whole unit with a lower miliage vmax clutch that greatly reduced the rattle/rumble.

If you listen closely even a new clutch will make a certian amount of noise with the clutch disengaged on most bikes.

Back