Clutch rebuild suggestions please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
Bikes at about 20k miles, clutch is starting to give me a little grief. If I really slam it in 4th or 5th the engine will over rev, then settle back down, sounds to me like she's starting to slip so I want to get some parts on order before it becomes an acute problem.

Is there a consensus on the "best" aftermarket clutch plates and springs to use?

Should I take care of anything else while I'm in there?

Any other advice on this surgery? I haven't done it before but I'm so inclined and I have the shop manual so I'm not worried about being able to do it. I imagine it will be a week or two before I get to it, I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I take a day to do it, and not end up with the bike down.

I believe the consensus is to go OEM on clutch parts.

Just call Gary McCoy @ Mondak Motorsports on 406 433 6635 and say you're a VMF member for your 20% off on Yamaha genuine parts - can't beat that.

+1 except change stock diaphragm with the heavy duty spring from pcwracing.net. With that setup I have almost 50,000 miles on it.

I agree on the OEM part, but I wouldn't buy the half-disk. Replace it with a full size disk. Just my 2 cents - I went with 8 full size OEM disks & a new slave - never had a problem since, but I'm more of a commuter/cruiser, not a racer. The factory clutch has a "special" disk on the inside & a half-disk on the outside.

I thought this topic was covered in a previous thread. Otec lock up should handle anything you ever build. Expensive though. Double D mod cheap and effective. Barnett, with factory discs or carbon, moderate price and better than stock. I guess it all comes down to cash and need for certain strength clutch. :ummm:

Back