Clutch Slave Cylinder - 2 rebuild or Not

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namyzzo

Reaction score
1986 Vmax rebuild:
>Cleaned the cylinder bore with some 400 grit to try and get rid of wear/rubbing marks.. Assembled with a new K&L kit.. The piston is a little notchy when you move it in and out... Maybe I can use a dremel with a polish wheel to smooth it out?.. Was afraid to wet sand the marks all the way out..

I wonder if this is what my 99 is experiencing.. At high rpm shifts / WOT = the bike seemed like the clutch was slipping.. ?? Maybe the piston not releasing like the 1986 slave..?? ... Flushed out the old oil and purged it.. Seemed to help alot - but I still get the occasional slip... ( I haven't checked the clutch itself - yet... Low mileage bike > but you never know... Seemed like I saw post on here advising that the Slave might be the cause of alot of our problems.??)

The K&L kit - made in Japan.. The inside of the Piston seal has the exact same name as the 86's old seal.. = AISIN ... :)
>The old piston seal was considerably bigger.. Due to Swelling over the years ????????
>The seal that goes in the case for the rod = has same number on it as Yamaha's OEM part...

Check the pics.. So - $80.00 for a new complete slave might have been my best route to go... now it will cost me 100.00 - since I bought the 20.00 ebay kit..

How's everyone else's luck with these kits and solving issues? any pics of yours?... Was it smooth working after rebuild..etc?

Attachments

• 100_0525_web.jpg
    100_0525_web.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_0520.jpg
    100_0520.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_0526_web.jpg
    100_0526_web.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_0529_web.jpg
    100_0529_web.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_0530_web.jpg
    100_0530_web.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_0533_web.jpg
    100_0533_web.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 52
I use a brake cylinder hone. You want to keep every thing round smooth and from front to rear of bore. Use brake fluid for honing oil. Should take out pits and steps. I did mine last year and have had no problems. The hardest part was bleeding it. Rand

..Cheap brake hone sounds good to me.. Alot better than the alternative $$$

Thanks guys - brake hone didn't even cross my mind..!!:bang head:

Did the OEM kit come with the Spring?.. The fiche' on crotchrocket.com didn't show that as being included?

Correct, spring is not i ncluded in seal kit. You need to buy entire slave for that.

IMO, I would've just bought a new one. Just transfer the banjo pipe to the new one and you are golden.

Well, - I bought a $12.00 hone from Advance Auto Parts (3 stone style)
.. Fit perfectly..I hone'd it and left only a sligh hint of the old wear marks..
Installed the piston and it is Smooth as Glass now.. Put my hand over the holes and it holds a vacuum enought to hold the spring pressure..So hoping that it will hold fluid pressure...

L00ks good so far - Thanks for the Hone Idea !!!:clapping:

:punk: Hey, I bought the complete cylinder for $64 at www.yamahapartsdepot.com. Works great and I have a spare to work on later. Good Luck, Spurs

.. Wow.. Iv'e checked around Bike Bandit..etc.. and found that crotchrocket.com was the cheapest..Been using them forawhile now.. a
..But - the place you go is a Heckuva ' Lot cheaper..!!.. Not sure how shippingwill factor in but, I will be ordering some Conn Rods bearings pretty soon and will givethem a try..

THANKS for The Linky !! Great Find:punk:

:punk: Hey, they also have the parts in stock. Some dealers just back order your parts and don't say anything. I'm stll waiting on some parts from one dealer, 6+ months now. I'll have to find there name and post it as they are losers. Shipping is good from this place, usually in a week or so. Good Luck, Spur

:punk: Hey, they also have the parts in stock. Some dealers just back order your parts and don't say anything. I'm stll waiting on some parts from one dealer, 6+ months now. I'll have to find there name and post it as they are losers. Shipping is good from this place, usually in a week or so. Good Luck, Spur
+1, I have used Zanotti Motors and got a little better pricing than Yamaha Motorcycle Parts but had to wait on parts to be ordered. It was 3 weeks before I received my parts. That may be fine in the off season but who wants to be down while waiting for parts during riding season.:confused2:

Back