COP update

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssnsltd

Reaction score
anyone running into any issues with their COP mod ?

I have about 500 miles on my R1's. I blew one fuse on 100 run (while passing which kinda sucked) a few weeks ago, replaced the 10A fuse with a 10A breaker and have had no issues since. pulled serious RPM/power and just cruising since.

running well- no other issues noted.

I used R1 coils and blended R1 and Stock harness.

The only issue I had was arcing between the COP and the block. I had to use some shrink wrap from work, industrial strength, to stop the arcing.
Cheers

Yo Danny
Hows them new shocks??? Oh yeah you cant ride, its winter :rofl_200:
Anyways since I can ride I have seen squat for mileage improvement in town but picked up 2-3 mpg out on the highway.

Cheers

Has anyone seen much of a change in their mpg since the mod?

I've seen zero improvement in mpg. :confused2: Bike starts better though.

With a Venture diff, clean/rebuilt carbs, stock everything other than K&N air filter and COPs, I'm still getting the same 95 highway miles until the red fuel light glows. My cruise speed is around 85mph, 4.5 - 5k rpm most of the time.

Next I'm gonna try switching V-boost off to see the difference - I still suffer from that 'right wrist spasm' on occasion.. :biglaugh:

Yo Danny
Hows them new shocks??? Oh yeah you cant ride, its winter :rofl_200:

Fargo-May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits for that cruelty!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Well...........the shocks LOOK great and bounce well when I jump up & down on the seat :eusa_dance: But that's about all I've been able to do with them. :snow:
Same for the COP's, bike starts much better and idles off choke almost immediately. Pretty sure I'll see a noticeable performance difference next summer, prolly due to the cracks that I found in my stock coils.

The only issue I had was arcing between the COP and the block. I had to use some shrink wrap from work, industrial strength, to stop the arcing.
Cheers

I was a bit worried about that myself. That's why I covered the wires with the braided wire mesh, added the stock V-max boot, and left the R1 rubber Grommet on. So far I have seen none of that- I grab the coils each time I run the bike and run it at night to check as well. So far no issues.

Has anyone seen much of a change in their mpg since the mod?

I am getting about 2-3 mpg better than install
I drove to Jacksonville, NC- about 110 miles, 2+ hours one way. good combination of local and highway. Got 38 MPG on each tank, was getting 35. Full disclosure: I am also running a Dyna 3000 ig, Cobra exhaust, 18" rear rim/tire, and have a Venture rear end. Then again my front tire is a 120 which shows slightly less miles traveled. sooo your mileage may vary:confused2:

comes off choke MUCH faster.

Attachments

• 1 Complete.JPG
    1 Complete.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Boot plug add.JPG
    Boot plug add.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 62
David, i believe you are the only one that has blown an ignition fuse? You are also the only one running COPs w/ a Dyna, correct? Anyone else have any issues w/ stk ignition? How 'bout with a Dyna?

I was planning to run a Dyna in the near future. Don't expect much peak gain, but i do believe the modified ignition curves of the Dyna help the low and mid range a good deal? Looks like the Dyna may not work well with the COPs. Of course, Davids may be a fluke. May not...

I should be able to tell you at some point, but there is a little snow on the ground right now and the COPs are sitting on the workbench, so it will be a while.

Jeff

I was a bit worried about that myself. That's why I covered the wires with the braided wire mesh, added the stock V-max boot, and left the R1 rubber Grommet on. So far I have seen none of that- I grab the coils each time I run the bike and run it at night to check as well. So far no issues.

I am getting about 2-3 mpg better than install
I drove to Jacksonville, NC- about 110 miles, 2+ hours one way. good combination of local and highway. Got 38 MPG on each tank, was getting 35. Full disclosure: I am also running a Dyna 3000 ig, Cobra exhaust, 18" rear rim/tire, and have a Venture rear end. Then again my front tire is a 120 which shows slightly less miles traveled. sooo your mileage may vary:confused2:

comes off choke MUCH faster.

hey david, been thinking about doing this mod over the winter, where did you purchase the braided wire mesh? i'll keep watching the threads to see how everyones stuff is running after their install. i already purchased the 05 gsxr wiring harness ($25.00 shipped) and got 8 brand new cop's for a zx12 the other day on e-bay ($30.00 shipped). i'm also looking to source the stock v-max connectors-wanna keep the stock coils intact. any help will be appreciated thanks

regards odieoh24

David, i believe you are the only one that has blown an ignition fuse? You are also the only one running COPs w/ a Dyna, correct? Anyone else have any issues w/ stk ignition? How 'bout with a Dyna?

I was planning to run a Dyna in the near future. Don't expect much peak gain, but i do believe the modified ignition curves of the Dyna help the low and mid range a good deal? Looks like the Dyna may not work well with the COPs. Of course, Davids may be a fluke. May not...

No issues since I put in the 10a breaker. put another 200+ miles since then, last two days riding it pretty hard- no issues. May have just been a case of a faulty Fool Injection system :smileystooges:

hey david, been thinking about doing this mod over the winter, where did you purchase the braided wire mesh? i'll keep watching the threads to see how everyones stuff is running after their install. i already purchased the 05 gsxr wiring harness ($25.00 shipped) and got 8 brand new cop's for a zx12 the other day on e-bay ($30.00 shipped). i'm also looking to source the stock v-max connectors-wanna keep the stock coils intact. any help will be appreciated thanks regards odieoh24

good deal on the coils- now you will have spares :biglaugh:. I picked up another set of R1 coils today so I would have a back up.

I got the mesh from a surplus electronics place by my brothers in Melbourne Fl. called ASTRO Too. they sell on ebay- but there are other venders:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...1243317QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

you can get 10" for $10 here:
http://www.rs-autosport.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=222

Basically just 1/4" mesh grounding strap- should be able to find it at any local electronic shop.
Can't help you with the stock coils, sorry. BUT - I have to go back and look, Napa and our local Pep Boys had connectors that looked allot like our coil connectors. will let you know what i fiind out.

thanks for all the help! if someone has a shot coil and they want to send the connector to me-i've got a friend who owns an electrical supply house where we get our materials, he can get them. if it wasnt so cold here(20's), i'd take one of the coils off the bike and use that one. the local harley dealership is having a get together tomorrow-if its get into the mid thirties, i'm considering firing up the bike and havin a look. i always get a kick outta watching people check out the bike. plus my son will be working also. if someone has a spare connector let me know

later odieoh24

Over 600 miles on my COPs and not a peep. Throttle response seems slightly improved. MPG unaffected. AFAIC, the best advantage of the mod is ease of replacement if something goes south, as the stock coils are notorious for.

I'm coming up on 2500 miles on COPs, and I have found pretty much the same as you have. I would say Maxine also starts way easier with the COPs - it would still start as my battery was down to about 10V last week and I don't think the OEM coil would have had that..

I've also since cut an inner layer out of the rubber covers (that hold the OEM plug boots to the heat shield on the rear cylinders) and they now fit much better around the COP.

Big up Birdoprey for such an excellent mod! :worthy::clapping:

I started my bike for the first time in a couple months. Applied a little choke and it fired right and was running smoothly immediately. After 15 sec or so, I opened the choke, the idle dropped back to about 800, but continued to run smoothly and within a couple minutes was up to the normal 1000 idle speed.

I am seeing a big dif with the COP's but have a feeling this is prolly due to the cracked OEM coils, which were not noticeable until after removal.

I trimmed the rear rubber covers for a better fit also.

Kudo's to Bird o Prey for this great mod!! :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

I need some input from you guys in the form of doing a test for me (or several tests if you have the equipment and time)... I did the COP mod after reading all about it for some time now. I didn't want to 'jump the gun' and do the mod and then later find out that there are issues to be addressed.

I remember discussing the voltage and current issues in other posts. My mistake was that I never made the time to do a before and after test. When I was done with the COP mod, I pulled the 10amp ignition fuse and put my digital meter (set to dc 10amp range) across the terminals where the fuse goes. I was finding 6-8 amps running at idle. When I revved the bike, up to about 6000rpm, the current jumped to over 10amps.

I was thinking that was kind of high being that I wasn't even at redline. But, I ran this way anyway after replacing the fuse. A few days ago I went on a 50 mile ride but pretty much was easy on the bike. All seemed great. Nice throttle response, good power, etc. Yesterday I went on a ride and was planning on about 100 miles (was nice as hell in Colorado yesterday, almost 60 degrees). I got to about 45 miles of my ride, and just after a hard run up to about 110mph, and the bike started to feel like something was 'weak.' I lost some of my throttle response. Then about 30 seconds later, the bike started missing like it was running out of gas.

I tried to keep it running by just easing off the gas, but it just kept rythmically running and stopping, as my speed kept tappering off. Then it started backfiring through the exhaust. I think during the times when the ignition would quit, the system would fill with unburned gas, then when it would light, boom!!! I pulled off the main road and just then the bike bike totally quit. I was watching the tach when this happened and it just died suddenly.

I tried to restart and it would not fire. I called my wife, who came by with some tools. I checked the ignition fuse before she got there, and it was not blown (there was currently a 15 amp fuse in there. Stupid I know, but I didn't want to chance the 10 amp blowing in traffic and I was going to get an 11 amp just for a safety buffer so it would not blow suddenly if passing or something, but I used one of the spare ones that is in the fuse block for this ride). I thought I would do this just for this ride and I think it bit me good (I've been in electronics my whole life and YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, I should know better, but I goofed!) Let's all laugh and make fun now. I'll forgive.

Now to get on with my story:)
I also checked the fuel pump. I drained the fuel bowls on the side of the road. They were full. Soon as I turned on the ignition switch, the bowls filled again. So, it's not the fuel pump. I had the bike towed home. Now I have to troubleshoot it some more, but I'm damn sure that the high current load took out my Dyna 3000 ignition.
This is what I would like to know:
1) What is the ignition current load with the stock coils and stock ignition? At Idle and revving to 6000rpm.
2) What is the ignition current load with the COP's and stock ignition? At Idle and revving to 6000rpm.
3) Anyone that has a Dyna 3000,,, what is the ignition current before and after the COP's?

What I'm thinking is that either the Dyna 3000 pulls more current even with stock coils that the Yamaha TCI. Or, the Dyna 3000 simply can't handle the extra current being pulled through it.

I'm more leaning toward thinking that the stock TCI doesn't pull as much current. I know there was one member here that blew a fuse with the Dyna. If anyone can at least check what the current load is with there COP setup and stock TCI, I'd love to know.

I'm going to order a stock TCI (after I check a couple of things) and then try the current loads again. But I do remember hearing that some people that had Dyna's where blowing these things out when they would hit the rev limit on a regular basis. I know there's guys that won't run the Dyna's because of them not trusting the things, but I have personally had my Dyna for over 5 years now. Hit the rev limit a lot and never had a problem. I love the COP mod, and I want to keep it. But I won't go back to a Dyna if this can happen again.

Vinnie

Vinnie, there's a post on the Euro Vmax site about this. The Dyna 3000 just can't handle the extra amperage. I'll see if I can find it.

Kloker, how many have you gone through?

Back