Cops and exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,Im a newbe with a question.I just purchased my first Vmax which came with UFO 4 into 1 with the megaphone pipe.It sounds awesome to me but was wondering if many people here who have them or have had them have been stopped by the cops for loud exhaust? is it possible to bog the motor and make it a little mellower in town?I love the way it sounds,but im sure some others dont like it.Thanks

Look up your local ordinance. Where I'm at there's laws for cars/trucks, but nothing on the books for bikes. :punk:
Hell, I didn't bother with the cages so long as they weren't being dicks. I did cite a Harley once though. He was warned for being stupid then about 30 mins later, went hot-rodding through
another neighborhood at 11pm. So I wrote him up for disorderly conduct. He was a smart ass and was saying "there's no law for motorcycles, so piss off, you can't write my bike up."
I agreed with him, then told him that I wasn't writing the bike up. I was writing him up.

Hey everyone,Im a newbe with a question.I just purchased my first Vmax which came with UFO 4 into 1 with the megaphone pipe.It sounds awesome to me but was wondering if many people here who have them or have had them have been stopped by the cops for loud exhaust? is it possible to bog the motor and make it a little mellower in town?I love the way it sounds,but im sure some others dont like it.Thanks

Post pics, we love pics! We want to see what you're talking-about, and maybe a sound clip. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28311

If you truly do have the megaphone, and you think it's "too-loud," don't ever buy the bologna-cut shorty "muffler" (in name-only) Jon usually-sells w/that exhaust. (watch the video).

I am working on a couple of alternatives for my UFO 4/1 right-now, but I am not in a hurry (to finish them). As I make progress, I will post it up.

I have not tried to repack the cans yet but they say a better packing material will tone them down and when I get near the boys I just grab the next higher gear and don't get stupid

Not sure how to repack a muffler that doesn't have packing to begin with. Let me know when you get that one worked out. Until then, I think I found a solution.

DSC03058.jpg

Hey Warrior Guy-

Jon sells a SBD insert that is made specifically for the Megaphones. Don't know if that's what FireMedic was referring to?? I have a set of 4-2 Slashpro's and although I haven't heard the MegaPhones in person I do believe they're much much more tamer than the SlashCuts..

Loud and Proud (except when I wake up good decent people from their sleep)

-Karma-
VMOA 5652

THAT IS AWESOME!
rofl_200.gif
This might affect my air flow do you think i will have to rejet?You guys rock.Ill get a pic and hopefully a video up soon.Thanks alot.
Not sure how to repack a muffler that doesn't have packing to begin with. Let me know when you get that one worked out. Until then, I think I found a solution.

DSC03058.jpg

I have the UFO Megaphone on my bike and your right it is LOUD!! I bought the other SBD cone they offer which is 1.5 in outlet and it made a big difference in sound to where it sounds like a Kerker. :ummm:

I don't think repacking it would help one bit the way it is constructed, to quiet it at all.

Attachments

• SBD 1.5 End View.jpg
    SBD 1.5 End View.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 24
  • SBD 1.5 Side View.jpg
    SBD 1.5 Side View.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 28
  • SBD 2.5.jpg
    SBD 2.5.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 23
Well i took it for its first ride today and i must say it is quick.I rode a Yamaha Warrior before the vmax.It was a very fast machine too but this is going to take some getting usto.It rides and drives totally diffrent.The Warrior redlined at 5000 and got its power from torque.Im thinking im going to really like this bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20130327_201109.jpg
    IMG_20130327_201109.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20130327_201133.jpg
    IMG_20130327_201133.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20130327_201211.jpg
    IMG_20130327_201211.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 40

Denver colo will but they look for the EPA stamping in the muffler .
If you do not have it on your muffler 500.00 fine . Wont matter how loud it is it's a ticket.:bang head:

If you do not have it on your muffler 500.00 fine . Wont matter how loud it is it's a ticket.:bang head:
Wow that sucks.So realistically you could gut your stockers to get the sound you want as long as you have the EPA stamp?:eusa_dance:I had a 98 kawi Vulcan with drag pipes,drove it for 3 years not a problem.Sold it to a guy in town he got pulled over 3 times in a year.All in how you drive or im the luckiest guy under the sun.:punk:

Seems like that is arbitrary discrimination against motorcyclists. Cars w/replacement mufflers don't carry that. :damn angry:

I have the ufo's 4 into 1 dragstar. love them !! if when I see a cop I kinda just use the clutch till I pass by .. Not to worried about my neighbors they don't like me anyway .They are looking for free plumbing work . AND I can't stop watch them bouncers from fltinstructor !! LOUD AND PROUD

I have the UFO Megaphone on my bike and your right it is LOUD!! I bought the other SBD cone they offer which is 1.5 in outlet and it made a big difference in sound to where it sounds like a Kerker. :ummm:

I don't think repacking it would help one bit the way it is constructed, to quiet it at all.

I am still waiting on Jon to send me the megaphone he had to construct for me. I also bought the two end caps shown here w/it to try them out. I may mount a Supertrapp from my FZR1000 in the meantime. The dia. looks good, I just need to fab an additional bracket for it. I think that will make the rasp more acceptable, though I have come to accept the stock UFO 4/1 howl. The way it sounds pisses off a lot of people though from the dirty looks & the wincing drivers make when I pass them on the left & their window is down. And, I still have a couple of other possibilities from other GMP's (greasy motorcycle parts) I have collected.

Latest posts

Back