COPS first impressions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs95t

Reaction score
I have been looking to replace my original coils since last year when I bought the bike.

The main motivation that I had was that the idle would get progressively worse while driving around in town during hot days. Eventually the idle would get so bad that the bike would stall out.

I went thru Seafoam treatment and got the carbs running well. Took a look at the battery and charging system - thinking that may contribute - especially when the fan would kick in.

In the end, the bike ran great, but was still likely to stall out during slow stop lights, when the temp needle was above half. I could also replicate this by just letting it idle in the garage until the temp rose above halfway on the gauge.

So now the good news.

COPS installed, let the bike idle up to the fan kicking in - no further stalling issues.

Beside that, I thought I had a crazy monster bike before - but now it is an insane experience.

Crisp throttle response, smooth power delivery. Pulls noticeably stronger than before.

Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a ignition coil gets ready to fail, it seems they are less tolerant to heat. I had an old TX500 back in 1975 that would run really badly, then die out when it got hot - and the TX was noted for running hot. Bike wouldn't start till the coils cooled down. I bought a set of coils for it, and the problem was solved.

Where did you get these things called cops?

Funny!

Blaxmax gave me a helping hand, since I had assembled a set of parts last year - for a winter project.

I would have gone with the set that Blaxmax sells - if I wasn't as far along as I was.

Here is what I ended up making:

e47319e87ba2266e1149c2004278c266.jpg

I appreciate the compliment but man you did that yourself and I applaud you.:clapping:
SOOOOOO worth it.

I just installed mine today (purchased from Blaxmax).
Absolutely no more #3 cylinder ignition problems. :clapping: I'm very satisfied

Seems my original coils were cracked. Here's a picture of #1 (bottom) and #3 coil (top):

I've read that once COPS are installed, some owners said their bike starts quicker.

But after riding my bike for a couple days with these installed, I've noticed my bike starts MUCH slower. Especially when cold.
I probably need to do another carb sync, also.

It seems that the benefit of COP's is directly proportional to how crap the OE ignition system has become.

Good job on the sheathing and heat shrink! Very professional looking...

When i put my cops on i also had cracked coils. Rus so much smoother now with cops.

It seems that the benefit of COP's is directly proportional to how crap the OE ignition system has become.

+1 In the OE system there are 9 points of contact between the coil and spark plug....corrosion at any one of these can, and will, adversely affect performance.

Cracked coil housings are fairly common and aren't usually an issue, except psychological.

+1 In the OE system there are 9 points of contact between the coil and spark plug....corrosion at any one of these can, and will, adversely affect performance.
Useful info, Danny.
Why not expand on this, by listing the nine points individually?
That would be groovy for us anal types, who could use the guide to clean the points whenever they were accessible, like during a winter teardown.
Cheers!

Well....I got a photo Miles but of course I can't find it....

Corrosion and/or oxidation can build up on the following components:

The plug wire
(Inside the plug cap)
The spring, brass wafer, resistor and plug socket.

Disassemble the plug cap by removing the brass plug socket and all the above parts fall out.

Well....I got a photo Miles but of course I can't find it....

Corrosion and/or oxidation can build up on the following components:

The plug wire
(Inside the plug cap)
The spring, brass wafer, resistor and plug socket.

Disassemble the plug cap by removing the brass plug socket and all the above parts fall out.
He posted it once before I remember.

Guys, is there a diagram here anywhere to show me how to put together this COPS system? I am not a whiz on ignition problems by a longshot ,but a rough diagram would definitely help.
Wayne

Thanx Blax
I just found a great write up on it and i am sure i can put it together fairly easy once i get a few pieces......shipping to me from you in Cali. will be pretty expensive......i am in the far east......of the western world

Last edited:
Thanx Blax
I just found a great write up on it and i am sure i can put it together fairly easy once i get a few pieces......shipping to me from you in Cali. will be pretty expensive......i am in the far east......of the western world
I have shipped to almost every country and so far the highest was $16.75.

Back