Overheating after repair

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaos

Reaction score
There’s a ton of posts on here about overheating, I know about the manual fan switch however I feel as though my issue is different. My bike would run perfect no overheating never touching the red, the fan would kick on once the needle hit the little dot on the temp gauge, everything seemed good until I had to change my valve cover gasket three times, I partially drained coolant and refilled it during the process. Now the vmax is running hot, immediately shooting up into the red with just a few minutes of riding, fan is on and running but not enough to cool down the bike it seems, I can wire a manual switch but the fan isn’t cooling the bike down so I don’t think that would fix the issue, thanks for any help.

Can we assume you replaced the coolant you drained....yes, I know but I had to ask.

If it was OK before you did the work and isn't after then stating the bleedin' obvious it is down to something you didn't or should have done.
You have an air lock which needs to be purged.

Assuming you have replaced the displaced coolant did you refill via the pressure cap under the scoop and warm the engine until all the air has come out?

Did you follow the Service manual instructions?

Coolant filling steps:
Align the coolant drain valve to the "ON" mark with the mark on drain valve housing.
Fill the coolant into the conduit with the radiator pressure cap) until the conduit i s full.
Start the engine (coolant level decreases.)
Always check level, and check for coolant leakage before starting engine.
Add the coolant while engine is running.
Stop the engine when coolant level stabilises.
Add the coolant again to specified level .
Install the radiator cap.
Align the coolant drain valve to the "OFF" mark with the mark on drain valve housing.
Check the coolant level in the overflow tank is between the marks when the engine has cooled down.

Can we assume you replaced the coolant you drained....yes, I know but I had to ask.

If it was OK before you did the work and isn't after then stating the bleedin' obvious it is down to something you didn't or should have done.
You have an air lock which needs to be purged.

Assuming you have replaced the displaced coolant did you refill via the pressure cap under the scoop and warm the engine until all the air has come out?

Did you follow the Service manual instructions?

Coolant filling steps:
Align the coolant drain valve to the "ON" mark with the mark on drain valve housing.
Fill the coolant into the conduit with the radiator pressure cap) until the conduit i s full.
Start the engine (coolant level decreases.)
Always check level, and check for coolant leakage before starting engine.
Add the coolant while engine is running.
Stop the engine when coolant level stabilises.
Add the coolant again to specified level .
Install the radiator cap.
Align the coolant drain valve to the "OFF" mark with the mark on drain valve housing.
Check the coolant level in the overflow tank is between the marks when the engine has cooled down.
Apologies for the late reply, I get side tracked, I did not know I had to set the valve to on in order to refill coolant, I drained the coolant and refilled this time with your steps and currently it seems to be riding as it was before, thank you

Back