Cops Problem 85 max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmax1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed COPS kit from gannon on my stock 85 max. Now the max takes a long time to start. With my original coils it fired right away. Once running it runs fine. After riding I have a hot start problem if shut off. Have done the direct wiring to the battery. Possible starter? It is original. What are my options? Battery holds over 12 volts for weeks. Could the starter draw be taking enough power away from the ignition that the COPS cant fire properly. Cops do have resistors. Have researched this in an earlier post but could find if they had rectified this problem. :confused2: Thanks in advance

If I remember right there was a post saying to set the plug gap at 0.022 with the cops and that might help when starting.

I saw that while I was searching the forums. I'll do that tommorow. I may have a bad battery had it on a 2 amp charge for over 8 hours and it still was taking a charge. Going to test the battery and probably replace it. :bang head:

hey man got your PM. i went back to original coils and wires. what is the resistance of your wires (with resistors) and COPs vs the stock setup?

gannon sent me some lower resistance COPs i was going to try at some point. wicked busy lately.

keep me in the loop...

I have been wondering if it is not the plug gap, perhaps it is a weak CDI. Not trying to get anyone excited here. One guy has one cylinder that the spark is weak. The coils were swapped and there was no difference. The plugs I don't have been changed around. I wish I could see a schematic of the CDI and then I might be able to say " it is possible each cylinder can go weak or go out" Without the the schematic I am at a loss.. With that being said , does anyone have the schematics for the CDI's?
Thanks G

I tossed my coils and wires in a bucket in the garage and am running cops with no inline resistors with a stock TCI and have no problems at all, the bike fires up right away and runs like a monster wirh no hot start problems and my plug gap is at .22.
I hope you figurre it out soon.
<<Dave>>:punk:

not sure if its a weak CDI because i have the dynatek with the same symptoms.

:th_image003:I think I have this COPS gremlin figured out (so far) on my max. Fired right up this morning almost instantly. Rode the max for 20 miles to get up to operating tempature. I came home let her sit 5 minutes to let the engine heat build up. I gain tried the mighty max, and again the max fired right up while hot. I tried a few more times and every time the max fired. Hopefully I have this gremlin figured out. Will keep anyone who is interested updated. Max runs much smoother with the COPS.

:th_image003:I think I have this COPS gremlin figured out (so far) on my max. Fired right up this morning almost instantly. Rode the max for 20 miles to get up to operating tempature. I came home let her sit 5 minutes to let the engine heat build up. I gain tried the mighty max, and again the max fired right up while hot. I tried a few more times and every time the max fired. Hopefully I have this gremlin figured out. Will keep anyone who is interested updated. Max runs much smoother with the COPS.

what was the issue?

The only prob I had was arching w/R1 cops. Switched to Denso's prob gone. Runs great. I gapped my new plugs at .030. Fires up fast runs well. I'd have to say it runs better. What I really like is the ease of changing a cop on the road, about 10 seconds. The right front OEM coil is still hanging in place...lol. I surrendered.
Steve

I put a set of COPS from a GSXR 750, and made a set of connectors using a Honda wiring harness.

Works perfectly - never a bit of a problem after a year of use.

I never regapped the plugs, but will set the next set to .022 to see if there's a difference.

Smaller gap is not good for those engines in thier stock form.

satariel666 Had a comment on spark plug gap, I know a smaller gap has a hotter spark. Anyone have any comments on his statement and would I be in a danger zone setting gap @ .022 running COPs?

satariel666 Had a comment on spark plug gap, I know a smaller gap has a hotter spark. Anyone have any comments on his statement and would I be in a danger zone setting gap @ .022 running COPs?

Basicly then wider the gap is then "colder" spark can be archived and vice versa.
V-max engine is neither high comp. nor cool engine one.
Then less the AF mix is compressed then more enegry you need to make
a combustion - IMO. Greater energy means also greater combustion temperature.
Then hotter spark then more lean engine is going to be - v-max engine like rich conditions.

Smaller thus hotter gap is good for modern high comp, EFI'ed engines and wider gap thus longer (in time) spark is good for carburized mid comped engines with rich tendencies.

Hope its making some sense :ummm:

Forgot to mention - theres nothing dangerous with runnning the smaller gap - I bealive you may experience the harder cold starts.

I bealive we were discussing this more then once here but who the hell will remember where its located now LOL

I had tried my plugs gapped at .022 and I felt that it ran worse then it did at stock gap. So I opened the gap back up to .027 and runs great now for almost a year.

The biggest gap you can safely run the more efficiently fuel will combust.

You close the gap if you either have weak coils that cant put out enough power to jump the gap or the spark blows out under boost(not an ideal solution). In the later case it will spark but spark weak so you need bigger coils.

You need a gap small enough to spark but not big enough to miss. Basically, run whatever gap the coils were designed for and it will produce the most efficient, hottest, spark.

Ok i have some NGK Iridium Xi plugs i was going to install soon..I just ordered gannons kit. the gap on them are .9mm What would be the best way to gap them to .027mm?

1.0 mm=0.03937"
0.9 mm=0.03543"
0.8 mm=0.03150"
0.7 mm=0.02756"
0.6 mm=0.02362"
0.5 mm=0.01969"

I think you meant to say, "how do I gap my plugs to 0.027 inches?" If you have a metric feeler gauge, use the table I made.

0.7 mm is the closest to 0.027"

As proof, 25.4 mm=1.0 inch
25.4 X 0.03937=0.999998 ~ 1 inch

Back