COPs Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
I just bought some COPs off eBay for a 2003-2004 R1. According to the list below, these should be Denso COPs. (List states 2002-2008 R1 COPs are Densos).

"So far, i've run across two types of DENSO COPs. The type that the Hayabusa/GSXR's use work very well. There is another type that is a little longer and they neck down just before the rubber boot that sits over the plug(The Honda F4 and F4i use these). These work well, but their length makes it harder to get on the plug. They both use the same electrical connector on the top. They are not a ton trouble, but personally i like the looks/ease of install/removal of the shorter type.
Here are the bikes that use the SHORT COPs (that i've found so-far):
98-2000 GSXR600 SRAD
01-03 GSXR600
98-99 GSXR750 SRAD
00-05 GSXR750
01-08 GSXR1000
99-08 Hayabusa(GSX1300R)
02-08 R1
99-02 R6
04-07 R6
03-08 CBR600rr
03-06 ZX6/ZX636(maybe the 07-up as well, just have not verified that yet)
98-03 ZX9
00-05 ZX12
06-08 ZX14

I found one set of R6 coil sticks that said they were 03 and they were the long type. Not sure if that was a typo or what. So, on the R6 coil sticks, i'm not 100%. Might be good to shy away from the R6 COPs anyway due to the previously posted problems with some of them, at least on the 03-04 R6's.
These use the longer type COPs:
CBR929(all years)
CBR954(all years)
CBR f4/f4i
CBR1000rr(04-08)
98-02 ZX6
Looks like the wiring harnesses from ANY of these bikes will work on any of the coil sticks(long or short)."

Unfortunately the COPs I received were Mitsubishis which have been considered a problem on Maxes. They have the complete harness and I am reluctant to cut them up to try on my Max as they will then become unsellable. (See pic below).

My question is, should I resell these with a small loss and go for some Densos or try them and suffer a large loss if they do not work? Also, is there a way to test them before cutting the harness?

Attachments

• CIMG0001.jpg
    CIMG0001.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 23
I have a set of denso's that I will sell cheep, the long ones. They still fit on, but just a little more work to get them in place. I dont have the wiring for them. So maybe the harness from the Mit's will fit.

I'm running the long Denso ones too, and have a spare set as well.

I would try the Mitsubishi and get Denso if they don't work. I'm pretty sure they all use the same connectors, so once your harness is modified you'll be fine for a straight swap, should you need to. COPs are so inexpensive on fleaBay - there are tons of them.

guys, did you notice measurable benefits or risk moving to COP ?
I have read the other thread, but everybody is speaking about feeling that it runs better but no real concrete data about it.

guys, did you notice measurable benefits or risk moving to COP ?
I have read the other thread, but everybody is speaking about feeling that it runs better but no real concrete data about it.

Risks:

- don't run them with a Dyna3000, as we've seen a couple of them fry, due to the lower resistance of COPs vs OEM coils.

Benefits:

- weight loss! At least 200gr when losing all four OEM coils. :clapping:
- better starting - just about everyone reported that their bike starts better with stronger spark of the COP, and required less choke.

- maintenance. So easy to carry a spare COP, or even a set, and replace it on the fly if it were to fail.

Yea you could say that. It's just a cool upgrade, and WAY cheaper than OEM coils + HT leads if you ever have to replace them..

so if I don't have trouble starting the bike or with the coils, it won't be super useful ? :)

Diablotin...take a look at your oem coils....I bet you will find several cracks on the outside of them. Apparantly this doesn't affect them much, if any, but it bothered me just knowing the cracks were there.

That's prolly the biggest reason I did the mod....plus the weight loss and better starting.

i liked mine until the weather was getting colder and the mitsu's were randomly failing on me and it was intermittently failing. i'll go back to COPs eventually. back to stock now, my faith in them needs to be revived.

Diablotin...take a look at your oem coils....I bet you will find several cracks on the outside of them. Apparantly this doesn't affect them much, if any, but it bothered me just knowing the cracks were there.

That's prolly the biggest reason I did the mod....plus the weight loss and better starting.
Three out of my four stock coils were cracked. I agree that the cracks dont affect the performance, that is until they get wet.
Living in FL and having such high humidity, I think it was just a matter of time before there was internal damage due to the moisture.

Three out of my four stock coils were cracked. I agree that the cracks dont affect the performance, that is until they get wet.
Living in FL and having such high humidity, I think it was just a matter of time before there was internal damage due to the moisture.

little black rtv silicone is even cheaper than COPs!

Yea, but getting to the front coils is a major PITA!!

Once they're out and COPs are in it's a doddle to swap them if ever need be..

Yea, but getting to the front coils is a major PITA!!

Once they're out and COPs are in it's a doddle to swap them if ever need be..

very true. thats why i haven't inspected my fronts yet, heh.

I might put solid mount soon (if i can convince the mechanic to pull out the engine without killing my wallet), so then I will be able to inspect the front coils.
So far the rear ones are fine. I checked a couple of time ebay, but it's not easy to find the the right cops with harness. What is making me worried is the shape of my electrical harness lol

Back