Crimp fix that really works!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
This is how I did mine. The bike's an '85 and I did the crimp fix a few years ago.
Finally, i got smart, and put in the new type R/R unit. (there is a thread I started about this).

Unit comes with red and black wires to fit the newer wiring on the '96 and above models.

Simply extend the wires (SOLDER THE CONNECTIONS, PLEASE!) to make them long enough to reach the battery. Solder on a couple of wire eyelet connectors, and hook them up to the battery terminals, being absolutely sure you get the polarity right. RED is "+". BLACK is "-"....

Simple, and easy. If you insist on using the old R/R unit, just do the red wire to the "+" on the battery. It wouldn't hurt, to add a ground wire from the case of the R/R unit (mounting screw) to the battery "-" terminal...

Point is, eliminate the standard wiring, and go right to the battery.

Bill, good advice. Just curious, did you solder the 3-wire stator connection too?

Mark

Absolutely!
That's the real weak link, in my opinion...
The connections got corroded in the 3 wire plug.
Corrosion = resistance.
Run high (90volts AC) voltage through resistance, things get hot!
Plug melted.

Solder these 3 wires, and be sure they're well insulated from each other, as well as ground! Being 3 phase AC current, it does not matter at all which wire from the stator goes to which white wire on the R/R unit.

Same here! My plug melted and when I checked the stator it was burnt to a crisp! I bought an aftermarket stator from pythonmotorsports....don't buy it from there...the grommet is way too small and I was losing quite a bit of oil! Stick with OEM.

Mark

Back