Cruising/Touring supension choice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transam

Reaction score
Hey all,
Ordering a seat from Sean Monday and I'd also like to upgrade
my suspension. I and the wife like to cruise around but the roads
are pretty awful around here. I am looking at going with some
stock length progressives in the forks with possibly some
stock length 440 progressives in the back if I can find a good deal
on e-bay;( if Dealmonger ever gets some more ) Does this seem like
a good set up for 2 up riding ? Looking more for comfort than
canyon carving. If the 440's are out of reach how are the 418's
or 412's.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Hey all,
Ordering a seat from Sean Monday and I'd also like to upgrade
my suspension. I and the wife like to cruise around but the roads
are pretty awful around here. I am looking at going with some
stock length progressives in the forks with possibly some
stock length 440 progressives in the back if I can find a good deal
on e-bay;( if Dealmonger ever gets some more ) Does this seem like
a good set up for 2 up riding ? Looking more for comfort than
canyon carving. If the 440's are out of reach how are the 418's
or 412's.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

I had the 412s heavy duty springs and swapped out them out to the 440s normal springs went I started riding 2 up a lot more. My GF really likes the 440s as compared to the 412s. I also have the progressive springs up front and the bike handles real nice when we are 2 up. Did a 300 mile trip today and the bike handled great, no issues even through some twisty canyon roads.

I used to have some older 12.5" shocks which I believe may have been Progs. and were 'ok'. Then went back to stock height with OEM ones, and they were shockingly crap.
Got lucky with dealmonger and got the 13" 440s, and I really love them too. Mostly riding solo, but it's much much better handling for sure. It feels a little clangy going over big holes but handles great. I also have the Progressive springs up front with 15W oil and I'm pretty happy overall. I just rode someone else's with stock suspension last weekend it it felt very very soft all round, almost floppy soft.

You may want to look at Works suspenson, especially since you ride two up. www.worksperformance.com

They have alot of options for adjustability. you can build your suspension with many options, they have what they call ARS(adjustable rate suspension) this will give you up to 50% adjustability, simple to adjust. Making this a good choice for someone who goes two up then alone

Thanks for the input guys.
Seems for my price range the 440's may be the way to go.
Found some used ones for a couple hundred on e-bay.

Naughty, what do you mean by clangy over big holes ? The roads
around here are like Beirut. I would love to get some Works shocks
but just out of my price range.
Thanks again everyone,
Chris

Thanks for the input guys.
Seems for my price range the 440's may be the way to go.
Found some used ones for a couple hundred on e-bay.

Naughty, what do you mean by clangy over big holes ? The roads
around here are like Beirut. I would love to get some Works shocks
but just out of my price range.
Thanks again everyone,
Chris

Here's a pair of Works on ebay that you might want to keep a eye on.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997...d=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:10|39:1|240:1318

Thanks Blkmax, just sent him an e-mail. There is a guy selling
a set of Works blk street's I believe for start bid of $200 but they
are 11.5's. To short for me.
Thanks again

I have a set of 12.5" 418's that I will be parting with shortly. If you are interested send me a PM, will sell for a reasonable price.

Here's a pair of Works on ebay that you might want to keep a eye on.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997...d=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:10|39:1|240:1318

I would keep your eyes on these. They have the ARS option that I mentioned.

These can be rebuilt, Progressive's cannot.

I wouldnt spend 250.00 on something that only works just OK when you could get something that works well for the same or even 250.00 more. If you cant afford the 500.00 for something that works I wouldnt spend half as much on something that is barely better than stock. stay away from the 412 for sure.

I would keep your eyes on these. They have the ARS option that I mentioned.

These can be rebuilt, Progressive's cannot.

I wouldnt spend 250.00 on something that only works just OK when you could get something that works well for the same or even 250.00 more. If you cant afford the 500.00 for something that works I wouldnt spend half as much on something that is barely better than stock. stay away from the 412 for sure.

Progressive 418's and 440's can be rebuilt, though you are correct the 412's cannot.

Progressive 418's and 440's can be rebuilt, though you are correct the 412's cannot.

Not disputing what your saying, I was told by a suspension expert progessives coulodnt be, maybe he was thinking about the 412's

I wanted Works when I was looking for shocks. Funds weren't there so while looking for a decent deal on progressive 418's, I found Ikon. These are made like the old Koni's, adjustable and able to rebuild. Around 350 to my door last year.

Sent the guy an e-mail asking what part number and length
they were. Haven't gotten a response from the guy yet. Kinda
leary of the seller as he only has a 94 % approval rating. If I
could score some 440's for around $200 with low miles would that
be a good deal ?
Thanks,
Chris

I do sell progressive stuff too with typical discount being 20%. 412's would run $225 a pair, 440's would be $470 for black coated, $500 for regular chrome.

So, if you can get a set of 440's for $200 that's a good deal.

Sean

Back