Dangit...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven May

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've been having problems fouling plugs, I've been suspecting the rings may go south at any moment, as they seem to be oil fouled...I noticed when I do get it started, the oil in the sight glass is bouncing around like maybe thats where my compression is going...I would greatly appreciate anyones wisdom regarding this situation.
Thankfully I just bought another bike, maybe my max is jealous.

I may have not added enough context...it did this just as I was about to show it to a prospective buyer...it starts, but with an almost constant miss which seems to get worse as it warms up. Wondering if I got some bad gas, or shouldn't have put midgrade and some berrymans in it. On the verge of putting an ad out to "Just get it out of my garage". But will probably take it back to the shop (if compression check is good), and put some more dollars in her g-string.

It is sooooo easy to drain the fuel bowls on the Max. I would drain each bowl and look for separated water.

What is the Berryman's product and what did you do exactly? Did you add some Berryman's carb cleaner into the gas? This could easily explain your problem.

Berrymans is a gasoline addictive...I probably put 3 or 4 oz in a full tank. I pulled the plugs this morning, and did a cold compression check on it...#1=160, #2=160, #3=135 (agh), & #4 =160...valves or rings? Sounds like I need to start taking her apart. Any idea if I pull the motor how much a shop charges to rebuild?

Drain them bowls as mentioned above.
Does the bike smoke from the exhaust?
White,blue,black?

Tap the carb body a few times, w/something like a long socket extension, you may have some grit in the needle seat. If that doesn't do it, you will need to remove the carb rack and check the seat/needle, and check the float levels which you have 'em off.

Also you want to use a flashlight to check your gas tank for corrosion/rust. It has to be shiny-clean, unless someone used a tank liner treatment on it. Even then, if the lineer wasn't installed exactly as it's supposed to be, it can delaminate from the tank insides, and move to the carb valve seats for fuel flow, and cause that type of excess gas flow. If it was failed gas tank liner treatment I'd expect that > 1 carb was going to be affected. Also check your gas filter, when was the last time you changed it?

I cut-open the gas filter whem I'm changing 'em out to see what kind of crud it collected. Racers do that w/their oil filters too, see what's in there.

A cylinder leak-down test can help you to determine where the problem is. Sound at the intakes or exhaust means valves, sound at the oil filler means rings.

Last edited:
Back