Daylight Savings Time

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a113ycat

Reaction score
Remember that after tonight the time changes and we roll forward an hour...
More time to ride?
Spring is here?
I dont know what it means only that tomorrow morning when I wake up at 630 it will be 730 and Ill be late...:bang head:

An hour lost but hope is in the air for green instead of white. I made a trip out to the Tahquamenon Falls State Park this last Saturday, where the falls were completely frozen over the week before, open water showing on this day.
IMG_2333.jpg IMG_2334.jpg IMG_2335.jpg
IMG_2341.jpg IMG_2340.jpg IMG_2338.jpg

The upper Tahquamenon Falls are the second highest falls East of the Mississippi River. The brown color of the water is the result of the tannic acid from the local watershed that feeds the river. It made me thirsty for some Black Bear Stout at the Camp 33 Brewery just off the State Park's parking lot.

Pretty cool (or cold) pictures ..

+1 That is indeed beautiful! Nice photography too. The last time I saw frozen falls was last year up at Helen Hunt falls on Cheyenne mountain in Colorado. I need to get out more...

Cool pics Brian, the hike between the two falls is cool too, the cedar forest is unlike any I've ever seen, ty for the pics

Brian,
Nice pics, Laura & I have been there during February a few year back & were able to see the frozen fall in person, yes everyone who gets a chance should make the trip. We then used the Tahquamenon Falls parking lot as a base point then proceed across the street to the Giant Pine woods on our cross-country skies. It was like being part of a live post card with all the snow hanging from the trees etc. We had a great time!

Actually being here in Florida. The time doesn't matter. It's actually harder on me when daylight savings happens. The chickens go back to their coup too late on several nights and are left unlocked, vulnerable to predators till 11 PM.:confused2:

An hour lost but hope is in the air for green instead of white. I made a trip out to the Tahquamenon Falls State Park this last Saturday, where the falls were completely frozen over the week before, open water showing on this day.
View attachment 47933 View attachment 47934 View attachment 47935
View attachment 47938 View attachment 47936 View attachment 47937

The upper Tahquamenon Falls are the second highest falls East of the Mississippi River. The brown color of the water is the result of the tannic acid from the local watershed that feeds the river. It made me thirsty for some Black Bear Stout at the Camp 33 Brewery just off the State Park's parking lot.
Nice Pictures but I think Ranger Smith lied to you.

That waterfall isn't even close to the tallest falls East of the Mississippi, it's only about 50 feet high.
But is one of the largest (by volume/water flow):
"The Upper Falls is one the largest waterfalls east of the Mississippi.
It has a drop of nearly 50 feet and is more than 200 feet across.
A maximum flow of more than 50,000 gallons of water per second has been recorded cascading over these falls."
http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?type=SPRK&id=428

I don't know exactly where it comes in order of largest by volume east of the Mississippi but Niagara Falls and Cohoes Falls in NY are both a lot larger going by Volume.
And I'd guess there are probably others as well.

And there are quite a few that are a lot higher:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/tallest-waterfalls-east-mississippi-106213.html

Nice Pictures but I think Ranger Smith lied to you.

That waterfall isn't even close to the tallest falls East of the Mississippi, it's only about 50 feet high.
But is one of the largest (by volume/water flow):
"The Upper Falls is one the largest waterfalls east of the Mississippi.
It has a drop of nearly 50 feet and is more than 200 feet across.
A maximum flow of more than 50,000 gallons of water per second has been recorded cascading over these falls."
http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?type=SPRK&id=428

I don't know exactly where it comes in order of largest by volume east of the Mississippi but Niagara Falls and Cohoes Falls in NY are both a lot larger going by Volume.
And I'd guess there are probably others as well.

And there are quite a few that are a lot higher:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/tallest-waterfalls-east-mississippi-106213.html
Well, apparently Dennis caught me in a "fallsacy" that has been fed to me for over 50 years! They flow a good volume it seems but I can't find anything as a list that would show where it slots in as an overall volume rate.
I did fine that the American, Bridal on the US side and Horseshoe on the Canadian side has the highest volume rate in North America! No sign of the rootbeer falls anywhere on the list!

We have a little place down here called Great Falls it's got a nice steady flow seems like once a year a kayaker likes to get swallowed up and a few bathers too .. used to be one of my favorite spots to skip school and fish all day .

Brian,
Good link.

Here's some good info about Tahquamenon (Upper to Lower falls):
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/6169/
Apparently the volume varies from 500 - 2000 cfs.

Tahquamenon Falls reminds me a lot of the Falls at Letchworth State Park about an hour from my house.
We took a Spring IceBreaker ride there a few years ago:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Letchworth-Lower-Falls.jpg
    Letchworth-Lower-Falls.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 24
I didn't get the whitewater link to load, but I found this:
http://www.michigansparadise.com/tahquamenom-falls/

Letchworth State Park was one of the places I liked to visit growing up, we made a lot of car rides there for day trips from living up by Lake Ontario.

I also liked Stony Brook NY State Park but the water was always 'refreshing.' Meaning 'really-cold.' http://www.nysparks.com/parks/118/details.aspx

Last spring I was out in Yosemite for the spring melt & tall falls display, my 1st time to the park, hopefully not my last. Great scenery.

Here is the link: Tahquamenon Falls Info
If you watch the video of the kayaker that went over the falls you will see it was in 2012, he should of went in 2013 in May as there was more water flowing from the runoff from the big winter snowfall we had. It's been a few years since I've been under the Upper Falls but it is pretty cool, this year would be a good one since we have had a good winter of snow.
I've been to the Canadian side of the Niagara falls maybe 5-6 times ( I've in the past few years ridden near the falls coming across the Peace bridge and another time the Rainbow bridge) but funny enough never been to the American side while doing the tourist thing. I had an Aunt that lived in Coburg, ON. so that probably played a big part in that.

The closest we ever get to weather that brigs any frozen down here is the slushy ice falling off the big rigs going down the highway.

Lots of natural beauty in these pics and videos tho!

Back