Dead battery, will it recover?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxnick

Reaction score
OK, like a dipshit I left the ignition turned on on the bike over 2 days. Of course the battery is dead.

I was talking to a friend about what an idiot i was.

He told me most likely the battery is toast. even if I charge it. I dont have a charger now. I currently use a "Battery Minder Plus" it is only a maintainer not a charger.

So I need to buy a charger. But if my battery will not recover I would rather apply the money to a new battery.

Is this true?
Is my battery toast?
Will it not recover?

It is a 2 year old oddyssey.

Hmmm... A total discharge can be detrimental to some batteries. But you may still have a chance. Give it a good charge and try it again. But monitor the status closely, you don't want to be left with a totally dead one far from home.

Brian

OK, like a dipshit I left the ignition turned on on the bike over 2 days. Of course the battery is dead.

I was talking to a friend about what an idiot i was.

He told me most likely the battery is toast. even if I charge it. I dont have a charger now. I currently use a "Battery Minder Plus" it is only a maintainer not a charger.

So I need to buy a charger. But if my battery will not recover I would rather apply the money to a new battery.

Is this true?
Is my battery toast?
Will it not recover?

It is a 2 year old oddyssey.

Oddyssey batteries are an AGM battery. They do require special charging methods. If you have a battery distributor near by they usually offer a "Charge and Test" service for a minimal fee. I would suggest an Interstate Battery retail or distribution warehouse. I would think you should be ok. Good luck.

READ THIS INTIRE THREAD & THEN JUST BUY ONE AND BE DONE WITH IT , THEY LAST 9-12 YEARS ! ... http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8012 .. YOU WILL LOVE IT , TRUST ME !

Read my thread.

I stated I have a 2yr old oddyssey. the same as youre suggesting

i drained my battery to nothing by leaving it on.

but now that i think about it, the battery is 4-5 years old and has always been on the "Battery Minder Plus" during the winters

I have no technical information or deep understanding of deep discharging and the damage it does chemically to a battery. That being said, I am betting the house that your battery being an Odessey and only two years old, it will recover and provide you a few more years of reliable service. I'm not talking about delta peak recharging or triple cycling the thing, standard 12 volt automotive 10 amp overnight. Please report back what you find. I will be checking this post to see if my hunch was correct. Modern battery chemistry has come a long way recently. Patmax

Hmmm... A total discharge can be detrimental to some batteries. But you may still have a chance. Give it a good charge and try it again. But monitor the status closely, you don't want to be left with a totally dead one far from home.

Brian

+!...you got nothing to loose...but 24hrs electricity.....top it...2amp charge....... I put it at 50/50.....good luck.....

Get a new odessey , even if the fried one comes back. Use it for a back up . You don't want to depend on a 4-5 year old battery , 100 miles from home , even if it shows charged.

:punk:

AGMS need higher amps to charge (6-10) and lead acid need low amps (1.5-2)

Sean

As mivmx suggested, take it to a battery store and have it tested. There is a store in my town called Batteries Plus that tests them for free. They generally have to keep it for a few hours, or sometimes over night, but you will know if you need a new battery or not!

http://www.batteriesplus.com 400+ locations nationwide

Jeff

there are some charger/ trickle that will desulfate the batt and bring it down then give it a super slow charge and ive had awesome results in bringing back batt that wont hold chg from reg chargers.

I'll have to get the name for you and let you know tomorrow, its at a buddies place.

As Sean and mivmx said, the Odyessy needs different charging methods than regular batteries. The manual that comes with the battery explains the charging needs. A trickle or maintenance type charger won't work. Go to their website if you no longer have the manual.

I do believe if you charge it properly, it MAY recover but they do advise against deep discharging.

Deep discharge is bad, but you've got nothing to lose giving it a good recharge off the mains, then see how it goes. You'll quickly know if it's ok or not, at which point you can get a replacement if needed.

if your battery was in good condition and you have never had it recharged ,you will have no problem. if your battery was old , and had recharged it before, you are for a new battery my friend

having a battery charger around is alwasy good, pick up one of the 2/6/10 amp ones for like $50 down at the hw store and i'd charge it at 2 amps, should only take a few hours. then see.

hell if it doesn't and u don't want the charger just put it back in the box and return it. i did that once for my truck battery when i didn't want that specific charger but needed one in a bind.

I would have push started the bike and went for a ride. Let the r/r recharge while riding, then figured out later whether or not the battery was going to come back.

my battery is the original battery (05 vmax) and i left the key on and didnt realize it for a few days. ( rode to work and parked it till monday morning.) i put it on a 2 amp charge all day monday and all night. unhooked it tuesday morning and have never had to look back. its had a good charge since and have went on several 500 mile rides since without worry.my battery is abused too. i dont leave it on a battery tender during the winter. i think the max and i have an understanding. if she wants to get out and raise hell, she better be willing to put up with a little abuse :)

i guess what im saying is just because it was dead as a door nail a few days and an older battery it may still be good. trickle charge it for a good while and watch it for a few days. ride short distances in case it did in fact hurt the battery. you may get as lucky as i was and it hold a nice charge.

Read my thread.

I stated I have a 2yr old oddyssey. the same as youre suggesting

i drained my battery to nothing by leaving it on.

but now that i think about it, the battery is 4-5 years old and has always been on the "Battery Minder Plus" during the winters
SORRY , MISSED THAT LAST LINE :confused2:, I HAVE THAT LITTLE GREEN BATTERY TENDER JR . THAT THE BATTERY MANUFACTURER SAID I CAN USE TO MAINTAIN & THEY ALSO SAID I CAN CHARGE IT WITH A REGULAR CAR BATTERY CHARGER , I HAVE AN AUTOMATIC 10 AMP. CAR CHARGER THAT THEY SAID IS FINE ! . AND GETS LOWER & LOWER AMPS. AS IT CHARGES , I USE THAT TO CHARGE THE BATTERY IN MY SONS WAGON JUST FINE , SO IT MAY COME BACK ! OBVIOUSLY THERE IS NOTHING ELSE CHARGING IT ON THE WAGON , YOU SHOULD CALL THEIR TECHNICAL SERVICE LINE , THEY ARE VERY NICE & WILL TELL YOU WHAT TO DO ! ... :punk:

Attachments

• 100_1058.jpg
    100_1058.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_1056.jpg
    100_1056.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_1062.jpg
    100_1062.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 8
Back