Do You Have A Motorcycle Theft Alarm Installed?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Am asking today for comments about your motorcycle theft alarm system. If anyone jostled your bike an alarm goes off. Am considering one for security sake.

One of my bikes were stolen back in 1975. In 74 I bought a Yahaha RD350. Loved the burgundy color, two stroke, man would it go fast! Had it a year. One night in the apartment complex my heavy chain/lock was cut and it was stolen even though a Honda 750 was unchained right next to my bike. Ever since I know what it is like to come out and see nothing where the bike is supposed to be.

In my experience bike alarms don't do much more than car ones - just useless noise at night. I think you're better off installed a stealth immobiliser switch - basically a hidden switch that grounds the ignition.

If a pro bike thief gang wants your bike, they usually will just lift it straight into a van, so nothing will stop them as they'll simply use bolt cutter to get through any chain or other lock, then a few blokes grab it and dump it in van and drive off.

Keep the comments coming. You are right about that. Maybe the horn would chase them away. Say if you were at a motel. The kill switch would only work if they hot-wired the bike on location and tried to drive away.

Just thought of a new theft deterent. Actually, it is not a deterent but rather a finder. The GPS marker. Construction companies use these on equipment. If a theft occurs, the GPS marker can be used as a beacon and will lead the police to the bike

Anyone have one of these?

I don't know about the US, but in Europe there is a system available that can be installed on any vehicle, a bit costly, and you have to keep a 'subscription' with the company too.

It's a hidden GPS transmitter, and it gets activated when a vehicle is reported stolen. The police force have scanners for it.

From what I've heard, organized thieves now dump any expensive stolen vehicle in some deserted side street or abandoned warehouse for a week or so after theft, and if the cops don't come they know they have a 'clean' vehicle.

Defo the best option if you don't want to lose your bike/car.

Also, brand new Jap vehicle are not 'data tagged'. This involves marking all parts of the vehicle with a microdot that holds all the vehicle data including its VIN. So any part can be retraced to the original vehicle it was fitted to. Not sure how effective this is as a deterrent.

in my neck of the woods, lifting a bike is rare (knock on wood). my colleagues and i figure if some one really wants to steal your bike, they're gonna find a way regardless of the deterrence device.

i never did like the horns and flashing lights. here in on florida's spacecoast, the frequent thunderstorms and rocket launches set off false alarms--i remember reading a study that more sophisticated thieves are now waiting for these conditions to steal vehicles because of the "boy who cried wolf" pavlov-ization of the owners.

imho, the best thing to do is a combination of being vigilant of where you park and store the bike and installing an immoblizer to deter the theft and some kind of gps tracker to locate the bike after the theft. After that, what else can you do once the chop shop has its pieces listed on Craigslist.

With that being said, I installed the basic model of Gaurd Dawg's smart relay (Keyless Ignition Mod (Rocker Switch & RFID-enabled Smart Relay)) with the aim of a keyless ignition as the priority. Granted its "security" features aren't that strong as its brother (the DGD-KIM), but again I was shooting more for keyless ignition.

I just pay my full coverage insurance & have a 4,000 extra in accessory coverage. If some one wants it they can take it & I will build another one. I dont seem to get attached to my bikes to much any more.

i dont recall exactly ...but i think it was either my v65 or 750 seca you could lock the steering.....may offer a lil deterrant lol....

i dont have to worry now....no one would want to steal my old rust bucket
rofl_200.gif

Yep no so many thieves interested in a 20yo bike. Plus it's a bich to carry in a van lol
I just put a rotor lock that way no choice than lifting it if you want it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned this recently but a friend of mine had his R6 stolen then bought a 2nd one along with a Lojack. 2nd one was also stolen..Lojack did'nt do crap. He's now given up and not buying another.

My bikes are never far or long out of sight, always "Easily Pissed and Heavily Armed"...:th_biggun:

i dont recall exactly ...but i think it was either my v65 or 750 seca you could lock the steering.....may offer a lil deterrant lol....

i dont have to worry now....no one would want to steal my old rust bucket
rofl_200.gif

there`s a steering lock on every vmax, right? If you want to move it using anything but a crane it`s quite impossible
Besides, simply put it on the center stand - no-one wants to steal a vmax put on it`s center stand :biglaugh:

Most factory steering head locks are easily broken, normally a quick wrenching of the handlebars are said to break them. I still lock the steering head if I'm going to be out of sight for any length of time just to discourage the amateurs. I agree that full coverage insurance plus extra coverage of all of your bling.

I just pay my full coverage insurance & have a 4,000 extra in accessory coverage. If some one wants it they can take it & I will build another one. I dont seem to get attached to my bikes to much any more.

That's what I do.

Vandalism is more of an issue in my area. Just last night my friend Sam came over and someone (more than likely kids) broke his plastic bits off of his radiator.

We live in a pretty decent neighborhood over-all, but there is the occasional shooting, and kids, that are up to no good creep through. There is this cat that lives right across the street from me that just leaves his R6 out in the open, I'm amazed it's still there. I've ran off a few teens that were around it when I knew no body was home, but it still sits there.

KJ: I was sure there wasn't much trouble in Fairbanks. My kids never have anything bad to say about the area.:confused2:Maybe they don't want me to worry..:ummm:

Xena disc locks are the best. http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/

They are a strong disc lock, and when the motion sensor goes off the noise is eardrum piercing. It's f***ing annoying, and it just won't shut up if it keeps sensing motion. No one will take it in their van like that!

And there is no fit up needed, just buy one, and keep it.

KJ: I was sure there wasn't much trouble in Fairbanks. My kids never have anything bad to say about the area.:confused2:Maybe they don't want me to worry..:ummm:

It's generally not that bad, typical city shit, vandalism, theft are the front runners. In my area there are definitely some odd ones that live near by. There has been a few shootings over the last month, in different parts of town. One dude opened fire on a cop car as it pulled up.

The couple of bigger shootouts were of some gang bangers shooting at each other while driving down college road.
another was at the super 8, many people in a room when two guys entered and the shooting started. in that confined space, quite a few people in the room, and no one was hit. I'm thinking someone needs more range time.

Back